Last visit was: It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 6:11 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: [WH2] Social Skills Clairification
PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2013 4:17 pm 

I have a question about social skills, including Charm and Command.

The interactions modifier table (p 109) lists NPC dispositions and applied bonuses and penalties as +/–Xd (ie. Your character suffers –4d to Charm rolls against NPCs who consider you the ENEMY.)

Fine. Easy.

So then we go over to Command. Both Intimidate and Leadership foci specify: "The action roll’s difficulty depends on the character’s Disposition."

However, judging from the examples here, rather than a die penalty, the disposition boosts the Difficulty of the task. And these bonuses and penalties don't seem to be spelled out very well.

For instance, the example for Intimidate has the PC trying to get info from an npc cultist. The cultist's disposition is Enmity (a –4d penalty on the Interactions table). However, in this case, the PC rolls vs. the cultists Discipline of 3 (fine, makes sense) plus 2 (Enmity Disposition), and thus requires 5 successes.

So...how exactly does this work? Enmity is two steps on the table below Indifference (no bonus/penalty). So are you counting the steps from Indifference and applying them to the Difficulty Number? Or is there a different method at work here that I'm missing? Does the Interactions Table only apply to Charm? The Intimidate description directs me to the Intimidation table (p 111), but that table just tells me the effect based on the number of successes rolled, not how Difficulty is established.

Leadership is likewise confusing. Plus the example doesn't spell out the Discipline Defense of the mercenaries being commanded, so there is no basis to determine how the task difficulty was arrived at.

Not sure this is a disconnect, so didn't want to add this to the errata thread.

And yeah, I could handwave a lot of this, but since the book is still in pre-release form...

Tom

Witch Hunter: The Invisible World Unofficial Home on Google+

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Re: [WH2] Social Skills Clairification
PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2013 6:55 pm 

I will read it again and see what can be firmed up

Offline Profile