Last visit was: It is currently Mon Mar 18, 2024 10:28 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Does PCI still produce Witch Hunter?
PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2016 12:30 am 

So I wrote a review of this game way back when ..... and recently I got a response on my review that talked about the future direction of the game and stuff. I wanted to give feedback to that response but then I noticed that the responding company wasn't PCI but instead a company called Alligator Alley Entertainment. According to drivethru Witch Hunter is now sold under them? And the PCI storefront no longer list Witch Hunter as a game they sell. I did some digging but can't find anything on AAE.

So is this a mistake on the part of drivethru? Is the game moving to a new company?

Here's a link to my review and the response from AAE.

http://www.drivethrurpg.com/product_rev ... _id=123055

PS .... though I would love a chance to respond to those comments and give my feedback.

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Re: Does PCI still produce Witch Hunter?
PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2016 12:24 pm 

Hi Dace,

Alligator Alley Entertainment is my company that will be publishing Witch Hunter going forward. My website isn't up yet so I will still be answering questions here.

This is an amicable split and PCI and AAE will often share booth space at cons and join together for events. It should allow Henry and I to focus on our individual lines and make both better.

I am on my phone so I can share more details later, but the game and campaign will continue along its path.

Thanks!

Eric Wiener
Alligator Alley Entertainment.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2016 9:42 pm 

Dace wrote:
PS .... though I would love a chance to respond to those comments and give my feedback.

And please feel free to respond to the comments, as I wrote the response to your review.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2016 12:04 am 

Quote:
Alligator Alley Entertainment is my company that will be publishing Witch Hunter going forward. My website isn't up yet so I will still be answering questions here.

That's good to know. For a moment I thought the game was going away. With how quiet it's been lately one can never be too sure.

I look forward to hearing more details.

Quote:
And please feel free to respond to the comments, as I wrote the response to your review.

Sure thing.

Quote:
The initial setting information for Witch Hunter: the Invisible World has not headed that far South, nor to the East. References present in the book are written in the voice of various Witch Hunters, most notably D.G. of Cambridge in the Massachusetts Bay Colony.

I recognized that it was IC voices but that doesn't make the way they talk about such things any less off putting. Moreso when you consider how the IC voice isn't really all that sexist. The game was really great on bridging the gender divide and finding a way to make female gamers feel more comfortable and welcomed in the game. It doesn't do this nearly as well if you're a gamer of color. The IC voice can at times make us feel not welcomed in the game, this is especially true when you consider the lack of overall material that paints a different picture.

I think if you're going to do the IC voice (it has it's ups and downs afterall) that the next step is to make sure that people see different sets of voices. Otherwise you're left feeling like the game isn't really meant for you. Considering the overall lack of material that supports playing a non white or non European the game can come off as off putting at times. It also doesn't help that so far the only real diversity we have seen has been from the villains with the all black cult group from GtoA.

It's a matter that's fixable but considering the current material available it does make it hard to make non white gamers feel as welcome in this game as female gamers are made to feel.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2016 9:11 am 

Dace wrote:
I think if you're going to do the IC voice (it has it's ups and downs afterall) that the next step is to make sure that people see different sets of voices. Otherwise you're left feeling like the game isn't really meant for you. Considering the overall lack of material that supports playing a non white or non European the game can come off as off putting at times. It also doesn't help that so far the only real diversity we have seen has been from the villains with the all black cult group from GtoA.

That…is a fantastic idea! I would love to read what an Order of Ethiopian Witch Hunters have to say about the Europeans and their Accord. I think showing both perspectives (African and European; hell, why not throw a Ghost Walker in the mix as well) would reinforce the differences on how the two (or three) cultures approach folklore. Of course, that's also a really tricky feat to pull off.

Tom

Witch Hunter: The Invisible World Unofficial Home on Google+

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2016 1:59 am 

Blusponge wrote:
Dace wrote:

That…is a fantastic idea! I would love to read what an Order of Ethiopian Witch Hunters have to say about the Europeans and their Accord. I think showing both perspectives (African and European; hell, why not throw a Ghost Walker in the mix as well) would reinforce the differences on how the two (or three) cultures approach folklore. Of course, that's also a really tricky feat to pull off.

Tom

Granted I'm not an overall fan of the IC voice method to book writing, I think L5R's Way of books burned me on that one. But if it's going to be included I prefer to hear more than once voice so that one voice does not become the canon setting voice and thus the way things are supposed to be.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2016 8:50 am 

Dace wrote:
Granted I'm not an overall fan of the IC voice method to book writing, I think L5R's Way of books burned me on that one. But if it's going to be included I prefer to hear more than once voice so that one voice does not become the canon setting voice and thus the way things are supposed to be.

I believe Shadowrun started the trend and no one (to my knowledge) has done it better sense. Some of those books are made simply by the back and forth crosstalk about he contents, especially the Bestiary.

The dialogues in Aztec Empires were fine, it was the terrible fonts that made them painful to read. Once you did make the effort, they added a lot of color to the text. Personally, I think there are better ways of handling it but that's a subjective matter. Using more standard fonts would have improved it immensely Yeah, I know you were going for a handwritten look. But none of the fonts you chose looked very period anyway. Stick to readability and let the text add the flavor.

Tom

Witch Hunter: The Invisible World Unofficial Home on Google+

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2016 8:22 pm 

Blusponge wrote:
Dace wrote:

I believe Shadowrun started the trend and no one (to my knowledge) has done it better sense. Some of those books are made simply by the back and forth crosstalk about he contents, especially the Bestiary.

The dialogues in Aztec Empires were fine, it was the terrible fonts that made them painful to read. Once you did make the effort, they added a lot of color to the text. Personally, I think there are better ways of handling it but that's a subjective matter. Using more standard fonts would have improved it immensely Yeah, I know you were going for a handwritten look. But none of the fonts you chose looked very period anyway. Stick to readability and let the text add the flavor.

Tom

I think the first time I personally saw it was World of Darkness and they handled it remarkably well. But it wasn't until I picked up L5R and read the Way of books that I really began to loathe it as a way of communicating game information. These days I'm ok with a mix, maybe a side bar that is written in IC voice while the meaty details are given to us as normal text.

Though I will agree that the Aztec book was well done. It's one of my favorites for this line.

Offline Profile