Last visit was: It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 5:53 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Orders of Solomon
PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2015 4:44 pm 

Truth up front I have not read much of the core book. My regular gaming group and I are looking into games for our next campaign. A couple months ago I ran Bedlam for them from the Revelations campaign and even though only 4 of our usual 8 played in it the general consensus was that it should a candidate for our next campaign. One of my players asked me if they could not play such a "holy" person for the game. I scanned through the book but didn't find a answer for her. On a side note she usually plays the slutty thief/assassin type of character from our group. So my question is does someone choose to be a witch hunter or is it where "God" or the deity in question chooses you to be a witch hunter whether you want to be one or not. I kind of think of it like Sanya from Jim Butcher's "Dresden Files" novels. He carries one of the swords from god and has the powers of them but he is a Atheist. I know it would be my game and I should run it however I think it will be fun but I was actually wanted some others opinions. thanks for the replies. Hopefully there are more than just Bluesponge responds hopefully others are active here :) not that it isn't fun chatting with him but surely others troll the boards even if in secret.

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Re: Orders of Solomon
PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2015 8:38 pm 

Faith is an important weapon in the arsenal of the Witch Hunter, but faithful and pious are not the same thing. Scoundrels make for great heroes, though the atheist angle doesn't really hold up (and frankly I never thought it worked for Sanya either) in the face of bona fide supernatural and divine power.
Lower faith and dabbling in damnation is a dangerous and challenging path, mechanically, but it also frees up some options during play.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2015 10:30 pm 

In my opinion I think the Lightbringers are the closest you'll get. Given the nature of the setting I think any Witch Hunter would be hard pressed to deny the existence of the divine in some form or fashion when evidence of it is about to eat you. Granted there are a variety of ways that belief in a higher power can take and there are a variety of ways people can interpret the role of divine in the daily life. Deism in that regard becomes a better option than straight up atheism as then you admit that there is a God but that God no longer plays an active role in the lives of mortals.

And as was already mentioned there are mechanical considerations as a person who doesn't believe in a higher power is not going to have much in the way of True Faith so that does put the character in jeopardy to some degree. While I may personally be an atheist, and what not, I do feel that belief in a Supreme Being is an important facet of the setting itself. While an atheist makes for an interesting concept it kinda misses the point.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2015 6:11 pm 

thanks for the replies definitely some food for thought

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2015 9:33 pm 

It's worth stating though that while I feel the exploration of faith is an important aspect of the Witch Hunter experience it need not be limited to just the Christian faith. The Aztec book shows us that there is more to the supernatural world in Witch Hunter than just the Abrahamic God and the Adversary, as they seemed to be powered by a completely different set of dark forces. As such if I had a player that was squeamish about playing a "holy person", as you put it, I would encourage them to explore different spiritual options. The player could pick a different world religion to play under that would provide them with the foundations of Faith needed to combat the darkness without going into the typical "holy person" image.

Offline Profile