Last visit was: It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 8:53 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Grand Tome 2nd edition: First Look
PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2015 9:47 am 

It's been about a week since Paradigm made the PDF of the GToA2 available to those of us who backed the kickstarter project. I'm guessing discussion of the contents are not embargoed, so let's discuss! (If it is embargoed, I expect this thread to be deleted in 3...2...) I'm still absorbing a lot of the content myself and hope to eventually put together something resembling a formal review. But in the meantime, what do the rest of you think?

A couple of my own thoughts:

The new society and monsters: solid additions to Witch Hunter lore. The Rakshasa is a bit sketchy, kinda like including nagas as a strain of Amakamek. Grims could have been split out differently too. But that doesn't make them any less worthy inclusions.
Hazards: Fantastic inclusion!!! One of the worst oversights of the core book.
Quick Templates: Very helpful. I would have preferred a bit more inside baseball myself, but that shoud come as no surprise to anyone around here.
Worst Oversight: No lists or summaries of the talents, powers or prices! Argh!!! I mean, I can understand cutting the strains from the table of contents, but c'mon! Am I the only one who uses these things?! On the upside, this edition has a pretty thorough-looking index. Also, Hellfire still doesn't tell me how much damage it does or anything useful about the power.

Tom

Witch Hunter: The Invisible World Unofficial Home on Google+

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Re: Grand Tome 2nd edition: First Look
PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2015 10:53 am 

Did I miss the PDF? I guess I need to check after work. The physical copies are still looking for an Origins release?

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2015 10:57 am 

Hello Paul,

No, the KS failed, so there are no backer PDFs. BluSponge misspoke.

I did offer copies for sale, (which is where he got his PDF). The book (the softback version) will be at Origins.

Henry Lopez
President
PCI

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2015 11:06 am 

Yeah, to should have been more specific. The PDF was made available FOR SALE to backers of the kickstarter, along with a softcover pod option. None of this was included as any sort of reward for the kickstarter. I expect the book will be available to the public soon enough and that this was a more limited "thank you" from Paradigm. I'd contact Henry via email or PM if you have any further questions on availability. It sounds like Origins will be a more general drop date.

Tom

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2015 5:36 pm 

Ah, gotcha. Yeah, I read that, but I didn't realize I could go ahead and buy a PDF now (since I'm planning to pick up a Softcover at Origins). Too late for that or can we buy a bundle for both at Origins?

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2015 6:15 pm 

Hello Paul,

I'll honor the bundle at Origins.

Thank you for your support!

Henry

Henry Lopez
President
PCI

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2015 8:27 pm 

I'm interested in buying the bundle as well at Origins.

John

Kelb'Bakari Masalio, Dark-kin Altherian Corsair, Gentleman Archaeologist, and Wandering Bard
"The highest compliment an Altherian can pay you is to shoot you with his flintlock. It means you were worth the expense."

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2015 12:53 pm 

Well look at that. What should arrive in the mail this morning but the physical softcover copy of the Grand Tome. With all the Origins action going on, I really hadn't expected to see this until next week. I think you fans at Origins are going to be pretty happy with the look of this thing. Maybe not shiny-matching-faux-leather-cover happy, but still happy. So keeping with the first look theme:

— This is a pretty heft tome. With the increased paper stock, it comes out bigger and heftier than the core book.

— A few rough edges on the cover, along the bottom where the paper and coating were cut, but nothing to cry over.

— Production quality is the same as Cities of Mystery, with the same matte paper. I think I actually like this more than the sleek, glossy paper used in the core book. It seems to suit the mood better, pages are easier to turn, and the text feels more readable.

— My old eyes appreciate the larger font size. 11-pt from the look of it. VERY readable.

— The cover illustration doesn't exactly lend itself to the new format quite as well. It really wants to be a full page image.

So there you go! If you are fortunate enough to be at Origins this week, go get yourself a copy! If you aren't, better shoot Mr. Lopez a PM or email soon before this print run gets snapped up. I'm looking forward to hearing what someone else thinks about this book.

Tom

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2015 2:31 pm 

Any idea where I can get this for the second edition?

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2015 3:01 pm 

Hello,

You can wait for it to arrive at your FLGS in late September/early October or you can order it directly from PCI.

Just email PCIHenry@gmail.com for details.

Thank you!

Henry Lopez
President
PCI

Offline Profile