Last visit was: It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 11:12 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Ideas for future products.
PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2015 6:34 pm 

These are some suggestions for some possible future products for Witch Hunter: The Invisible World.

Sourcebooks on various regions. I'm assuming Mexico and South America are covered in upcoming Aztecs. Other regions could include Russia, India, Middle East, Africa, China, Japan, Australia, Philippines, and Indonesia.

Sourcebook on the China Empire.

Book of Foreign Orders with details on Witch Hunters not related to known Orders. Orders of the East based on Hindu, Buddhist, Tao, and Shinto religions. Druid and other nature based Orders. Cult Orders based on old religions like Celt, Norse, Egyptian, and Greek/Roman. For example, Avengers of Horus and Warriors of Thor.

Fighting Traditions Sourcebook.

Rites and Rituals Vol. 2 that includes details on other forms of magic. For example, Druid magic, Rune Magic, Alchemy, Psychic-like Mentalist magic, Voodoo magic, Dream magic of Australia, and Magic of the Far East (Charmcasting, Yin/Yang Mysticism, and Chi Mastery used by Monks and and Martial Artists to augment physical abilities.)

Grand Tome of Adversaries Vol. 2 which includes details on creatures who are unique, obscure, or exotic. For example, Lechuza, Naga, Rakshasa, Bunyip, Yokai, Oni, and Aswang.

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Re: Ideas for future products.
PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2015 6:44 pm 

Hello,

Thank you for your suggestions!

As you may know, we're working on getting the 2nd Edition of the Grand Tome of Adversaries reasy and it will include a Rakshasa as an entry.

Additionally, I'm in negotiations with some writers to get a sourcebook on the Polish-Lithuanian Commonwealth/Empire written.

Lastly, Rites & Relics has an entry for Alchemy and Voodoo, but more is always better. :-)

Henry Lopez
President
PCI

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2015 6:56 pm 

If there are future volumes for the Grand Tome of Adversaries it might be good idea to separate the volumes by creature type (Ex. Book of Fairies, Book of Fantastical Beasts, Book of Spirits, Book of Creatures from Foreign Lands, Book of Demons, etc.) or by region of origin (Ex. Book of Creatures from Europe, Book of Creatures from Africa, Book of Creatures from North America, etc.).

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2015 1:12 pm 

PCIHenry wrote:
Additionally, I'm in negotiations with some writers to get a sourcebook on the Polish-Lithuanian Commonwealth/Empire written.

That's interesting :)
I'm from Poland, and my players often want to play characters like polish nobleman or Cossack; once we even tried to make a fighting tradition with saber as weapon of choice (for Wh 1ed). It would be good to have official setting for such Witch Hunters, especially because Commonwealth was an interesting and diverse country, with its own folklore and myths.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2015 1:48 pm 

I echo the desire for books on non European lands and Orders. I know part of my disappoint with the core book was the lack of diversity in it, and the overall portrayal of Africa as dark and barbaric. And when I was reading through Grand Tomes I was somewhat miffed with the first depiction of a black character I've seen in this game being that of a villain.

I would love to see something on Africa and the Middle East. Persia was very interesting place during this time frame with the decline of their empire happening in this period. Also Ethiopia makes for an interesting African local during this time frame, more so when you consider the area's religious transformation. A mixture of Islam, plus some Roman Catholicism and of course their own Christian Orthodoxy, just think of the Orders that could come from that!

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2015 7:32 am 

Dace and Kumo, good to see some new faces around here.

I completely understand your concerns about diversity, Dace. The inclusion of the Falcons of God, an Islamic order, was a big reason I signed on for 2nd Ed. As important role as religion plays in WH, I feel it has to cast a bit of a wide net. Now we need Hindu and Buddhist orders and the basics are covered.

Given how big an influence Solomon Kane is to Witch Hunter, I think an Africa sourcebook/adventure makes a TON of since. I'd certainly line up for that one. The only problem I can see is that Africa is so big and diverse, it would be hard to cover everything. North Africa/Barbary Coast is going to be different from the Nile region (Ottoman Egypt) from Sub-Saharan Africa. You've got Dutch colonies all down the East coast. And then there is the whole Heart of Darkness business that's going to make things really interesting.

But if a solid writer came along with a good proposal, I'm sure Paradigm would be all over it. And judging from Aztec Empire, I think you'd be very happy with it.

Tom

Witch Hunter: The Invisible World Unofficial Home on Google+

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2015 4:25 pm 

What book is Falcons of God in?

At any rate, doing a single book for it would be hard. I imagine it would be better to do a book that highlights the major aspects of the continent as opposed to exploring every nook and cranny. So take on the obvious big aspects and leave the little stuff for later. This is an approach I would expect them to take with say the Middle East and Asia as they too are both large regions that vary depending on where you are at.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2015 5:15 pm 

Dace wrote:
What book is Falcons of God in?

They were new order included in the updated of the Blessed and Damned orders that were an incentive in the core book kickstarter. I expect they will show up officially when the B&D update comes out.

Quote:
At any rate, doing a single book for it would be hard. I imagine it would be better to do a book that highlights the major aspects of the continent as opposed to exploring every nook and cranny. So take on the obvious big aspects and leave the little stuff for later. This is an approach I would expect them to take with say the Middle East and Asia as they too are both large regions that vary depending on where you are at.

Agreed. I think there might be a variety of approaches PCI could take on this. Personally, I think a crazy idea that might work is to use the model Paizo uses for Pathfinder but leverage the OP campaign. In other words release a "players guide to..." ahead of a major storyline in the living campaign. Keep it short and sweet, maybe 64-96 pages tops. You could easily release it as a PDF then, if the popularity and demand are enough, publish a print copy with GM info at the end of the campaign cycle. Rinse and Repeat.

Of course, that's easy for me to suggest. Clint probably gained a dozen gray hairs just reading this suggestion. ;)

Otherwise, I'd encourage you to start writing! There's no reason the WH setting needs to be beholden to the OP. And more independent contributions would probably help raise awareness of the entire property.

Tom

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2015 7:31 pm 

Quote:
They were new order included in the updated of the Blessed and Damned orders that were an incentive in the core book kickstarter. I expect they will show up officially when the B&D update comes out.

I really hate the fact that I missed the Kickstarter. It never even showed up as a blip on my gaming radar until I saw that the second edition book was now being sold as a pdf on drivethru. Which is sad because I would have loved to have contributed to it and gotten all those incentive books :(

C'est la vie

Quote:
Agreed. I think there might be a variety of approaches PCI could take on this. Personally, I think a crazy idea that might work is to use the model Paizo uses for Pathfinder but leverage the OP campaign. In other words release a "players guide to..." ahead of a major storyline in the living campaign. Keep it short and sweet, maybe 64-96 pages tops. You could easily release it as a PDF then, if the popularity and demand are enough, publish a print copy with GM info at the end of the campaign cycle. Rinse and Repeat.

I see that working. I also wouldn't mind an overall big book. Or maybe a plot/setting book. I loved the Aztec book. I felt it moved the plot and the Central American region forward both at the same time.

I think they could mimic that with other world books. So develop a threat in Africa that may draw in Witch Hunters, then develop some local Orders and chart out some of the nearby region. What I think will be difficult to avoid though, and something to be mindful of, is not making it too colonial. I only say this because my day job is a grad student who studies race, religion and the Middle East and over the years as I've gamed I've come to distaste the very Euro - colonial feel of some products related to non whites in rpgs.

Quote:
Otherwise, I'd encourage you to start writing! There's no reason the WH setting needs to be beholden to the OP. And more independent contributions would probably help raise awareness of the entire property

I honestly wish I had the time to write. Or rather I felt more confident when writing for non academic purposes. Ask me to churn out a 20 page research paper on how poverty effects the Middle East or what black atheism looks like and I'm solid. As me to do a gaming write up and I feel like I struggle and stall.

Which is sad, as I've been giving some serious thought to doing a WH Order based on some African stuff. My ideas currently lean towards Ethiopia. Namely because A. they have a very deep Christian and religious traditions that for the purpose of this game you can easily tie back to King Solomon and B. for this time period they are one of the few spots in Africa that was, for the most part independent (if I'm recalling my history correctly). I've been looking at how I would work out these ideas (I started tossing them about after writing a review for the Core book) in between assignments and my Masters thesis but haven't moved to far as I don't feel confident enough in the system to write mechanics for it or do more than outline a few general ideas.

But it's the summer and I have fewer pressing projects at the moment so who knows.

I'm also currently toying with ideas related to the Persian Immortals. We'll see :)

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2015 9:52 pm 

Dace wrote:
I really hate the fact that I missed the Kickstarter. It never even showed up as a blip on my gaming radar until I saw that the second edition book was now being sold as a pdf on drivethru. Which is sad because I would have loved to have contributed to it and gotten all those incentive books :(

I understand. I've been thinking about that a bit since the GToA book failed to meet its goals a few weeks back. For a game that's been around since 2008, that was nominated for an Ennie and got plenty of good reviews, that doesn't have a lot of competition in its niche, it seems to have pretty poor visibility. And while this really is PCI's issue to fix, I've been trying to figure out what I can do as a fan to evangelize the game and get more conversation going about it. Obviously just blasting away at social media isn't going to do it.

Quote:
I see that working. I also wouldn't mind an overall big book. Or maybe a plot/setting book. I loved the Aztec book. I felt it moved the plot and the Central American region forward both at the same time.

I'd be fine with a big book too. The Aztec book is very nice and very informative. But I'm trying to think realistically about PCI's market. If you can leverage the OP players, so much the better.

Quote:
I think they could mimic that with other world books. So develop a threat in Africa that may draw in Witch Hunters, then develop some local Orders and chart out some of the nearby region. What I think will be difficult to avoid though, and something to be mindful of, is not making it too colonial. I only say this because my day job is a grad student who studies race, religion and the Middle East and over the years as I've gamed I've come to distaste the very Euro - colonial feel of some products related to non whites in rpgs.

They already have that with the Heart of Darkness, the mother of all Hellpoints. Plus, the Dutch colonies are going to be a magnet for the New Dawn. Africa has so much going on, the hard part would be finding the best place to build from.

Quote:
I honestly wish I had the time to write. Or rather I felt more confident when writing for non academic purposes. Ask me to churn out a 20 page research paper on how poverty effects the Middle East or what black atheism looks like and I'm solid. As me to do a gaming write up and I feel like I struggle and stall.

Which is sad, as I've been giving some serious thought to doing a WH Order based on some African stuff. My ideas currently lean towards Ethiopia. Namely because A. they have a very deep Christian and religious traditions that for the purpose of this game you can easily tie back to King Solomon and B. for this time period they are one of the few spots in Africa that was, for the most part independent (if I'm recalling my history correctly). I've been looking at how I would work out these ideas (I started tossing them about after writing a review for the Core book) in between assignments and my Masters thesis but haven't moved to far as I don't feel confident enough in the system to write mechanics for it or do more than outline a few general ideas.

But it's the summer and I have fewer pressing projects at the moment so who knows.

I'm also currently toying with ideas related to the Persian Immortals. We'll see :)

But you know what, we need more of that. We need more setting details. We need more obscure facts that can be twisted outward. The write up I did on Frankfurt was pretty academic. Not much fluff there. And the stuff that got fluffy wrote itself. Wait, there are hot springs in the mountains to the north that the rich and powerful believe have therapeutic properties? Over COURSE there is something sinister going on. The Odenwald? Same thing. The hard part was tracking down all the factual information that made the city feel real. Everything else only took a sentence here or there.

Enough of this stuff gets out there, the more the setting gets recognized, the more people are going to check it out. I'm not sure this "live by the OP, die by the OP" ecosystem is healthy. Plus, it really doesn't take much time to stat up a monster, or post some details about a cool location. Hell, Henry posts enough links. We just need more people to grab those threads and run with them. I have a plan to do just that once I run out of projects I've already outlined.

Tom

Offline Profile  

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 17 posts ]  Moderators: james.zwiers, PCI Eric Go to page 1, 2  Next