Last visit was: It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 1:14 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Re: Ideas for future products.
PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2015 9:54 pm 

Dace wrote:
I'm also currently toying with ideas related to the Persian Immortals. We'll see :)

Umm...YES PLEASE! One of my projects is the ancient Egyptian pantheon through the WH lense. So I'd love to see your interpretation of such things.

Tom

Witch Hunter: The Invisible World Unofficial Home on Google+

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2015 2:59 pm 

Quote:
I understand. I've been thinking about that a bit since the GToA book failed to meet its goals a few weeks back. For a game that's been around since 2008, that was nominated for an Ennie and got plenty of good reviews, that doesn't have a lot of competition in its niche, it seems to have pretty poor visibility. And while this really is PCI's issue to fix, I've been trying to figure out what I can do as a fan to evangelize the game and get more conversation going about it. Obviously just blasting away at social media isn't going to do it.

It's always been a low radar kind of game in my book. I discovered 1st Edition by accident when I was looking through an online rpg bookstore. My current faves tend to be that way. I love the The Void but it's very low key too. But how large is their social media presence? I know they're on FB but I don't think I see them on G+ or with a Twitter account where they could post updates and what not.

Quote:
I'd be fine with a big book too. The Aztec book is very nice and very informative. But I'm trying to think realistically about PCI's market. If you can leverage the OP players, so much the better.

What are the OP players?

Quote:
They already have that with the Heart of Darkness, the mother of all Hellpoints. Plus, the Dutch colonies are going to be a magnet for the New Dawn. Africa has so much going on, the hard part would be finding the best place to build from.

Well if I had to write a book on it, a chapter on the Heart of Darkness (of which I have no real info on since my knowledge of the setting comes from 1st and 2nd Core books and then the Aztec book) and the surrounding area and what local WH groups are doing about it. I would also then broaden the major orders to include whomever is actually keeping that area in check. I would do a bit on Ethophia since they were one of the few actual free African kingdoms of the day. You'd need to touch on the slave trade on the west coast. Then a bit on South Africa and then wrap up with North Africa which would include the Barbary states.

It wouldn't be as tightly focused as Aztec was but I think it would make for a nice book.

Quote:
But you know what, we need more of that. We need more setting details. We need more obscure facts that can be twisted outward. The write up I did on Frankfurt was pretty academic. Not much fluff there. And the stuff that got fluffy wrote itself. Wait, there are hot springs in the mountains to the north that the rich and powerful believe have therapeutic properties? Over COURSE there is something sinister going on. The Odenwald? Same thing. The hard part was tracking down all the factual information that made the city feel real. Everything else only took a sentence here or there.

I'll see if I can set some research time aside to take up a minor project like this then. Or at least to develop a more local outline for a minor order or two.

Quote:
Umm...YES PLEASE! One of my projects is the ancient Egyptian pantheon through the WH lense. So I'd love to see your interpretation of such things.

I'll see what I can do. I've taken an interest in Persian/Iranian history so I hope to be able to put something together. We'll see :)

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2015 6:00 pm 

Dace wrote:
What are the OP players?

Organized Play. People who come to the game through the living campaign.

Quote:
a chapter on the Heart of Darkness (of which I have no real info on since my knowledge of the setting comes from 1st and 2nd Core books and then the Aztec book) and the surrounding area and what local WH groups are doing about it.

The Heart of Darkness is right there in the history section. It's the place in Africa where Lucifer fell. A black festering pit. The mother of all Hellpoints.

Quote:
I'll see if I can set some research time aside to take up a minor project like this then. Or at least to develop a more local outline for a minor order or two.

Totally understand the time crunch. I have it too. It's part of the reason I'm not as active as I would like to be.

Quote:
I'll see what I can do. I've taken an interest in Persian/Iranian history so I hope to be able to put something together. We'll see :)

Please do. I think there is a lot of Pre-history that would make for great fodder for WH.

Tom

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2015 9:21 pm 

Quote:
Organized Play. People who come to the game through the living campaign.

and

Quote:
The Heart of Darkness is right there in the history section. It's the place in Africa where Lucifer fell. A black festering pit. The mother of all Hellpoints.

Thanks!

Quote:
Please do. I think there is a lot of Pre-history that would make for great fodder for WH.

I'll post something over the summer then. Most likely it wouldn't be like a full description, more general ideas on both a Persian and Ethiopian order and then maybe work backwards from there. Though for a Persian Immortals I think I'd mix in some Zoroastrianism and for Ethiopian maybe try to combine Jewish with later Coptic beliefs.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2015 7:12 am 

Dace wrote:
Most likely it wouldn't be like a full description, more general ideas on both a Persian and Ethiopian order and then maybe work backwards from there. Though for a Persian Immortals I think I'd mix in some Zoroastrianism and for Ethiopian maybe try to combine Jewish with later Coptic beliefs.

That sounds perfect. I don't think there would be any need to expand outward by more than one example. Certainly on my part there is no plan on writing up the entire Egyptian pantheon, but only maybe one or two figures as suits my game.

A rough sketch of a Persian and/or Ethiopian order would be fine for most purposes. About the only thing they need to be playable is three Order powers. Otherwise you can expand on their histories and tenets as much as you'd like, but they don't have to be nearly as detailed as the orders from the core game.

Tom

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2015 8:28 pm 

Blusponge wrote:
Dace wrote:
Most likely it wouldn't be like a full description, more general ideas on both a Persian and Ethiopian order and then maybe work backwards from there. Though for a Persian Immortals I think I'd mix in some Zoroastrianism and for Ethiopian maybe try to combine Jewish with later Coptic beliefs.

That sounds perfect. I don't think there would be any need to expand outward by more than one example. Certainly on my part there is no plan on writing up the entire Egyptian pantheon, but only maybe one or two figures as suits my game.

A rough sketch of a Persian and/or Ethiopian order would be fine for most purposes. About the only thing they need to be playable is three Order powers. Otherwise you can expand on their histories and tenets as much as you'd like, but they don't have to be nearly as detailed as the orders from the core game.

Tom

Are there examples of the minor orders to use as a guideline? Though I'm not as savvy with the rules enough yet to build Order powers. We'll see!!!

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2015 10:08 pm 

Hello,

Dace wrote:
Are there examples of the minor orders to use as a guideline? Though I'm not as savvy with the rules enough yet to build Order powers. We'll see!!!

A minor Order appears in Cities of Mystery, but they use the same template as the one used in the Core book for the other Orders.

Henry Lopez
President
PCI

Offline Profile  

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 17 posts ]  Moderators: james.zwiers, PCI Eric Go to page Previous  1, 2