Last visit was: It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 5:04 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Re: Witch Hunter Rites and Relics PDF released
PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2015 3:27 pm 

blackheart wrote:
Found it purely by chance on my regular "What's new on DTRPG?" check.
And you are very welcome. I share the WH love every chance I get.

I've practically got the PCI page on DTRPG bookmarked at this point. I guess I should have checked this morning but figured what was different about today than Friday. ;)

Witch Hunter: The Invisible World Unofficial Home on Google+

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2015 6:48 am 

As an FYI the talent Devils Arithmetic is pure brilliance.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2015 8:34 am 

Dace wrote:

It's super-flavorful, which would make it super cool if I could figure out what the hell "manipulate the patterns of reality" meant in game terms. So I did a little house ruling to make it work for me. No one has tested it out yet, but I think it would be really cool in play (and adds a bit more temptation for keeping your Damnation pool up,

Tom

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2015 8:31 pm 

Blusponge wrote:
Dace wrote:

It's super-flavorful, which would make it super cool if I could figure out what the hell "manipulate the patterns of reality" meant in game terms. So I did a little house ruling to make it work for me. No one has tested it out yet, but I think it would be really cool in play (and adds a bit more temptation for keeping your Damnation pool up,

Tom

To be fair I'd need to see it in play but I'm just in love with the possibilities and the flavor.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Dec 12, 2015 4:50 pm 

Dace wrote:
To be fair I'd need to see it in play but I'm just in love with the possibilities and the flavor.

Well see, that's of the thing. I read the description several times and for the life of me have no idea how its supposed to work in play. I asked around here and didn't get much in the way of concrete clarification from Eric or anyone else. What does "manipulate the pattern of reality" mean? How much rope am I supposed to be giving players here? It's fine, I don't need everything spelled out for me. But as a player, when I spend 50 points on a Talent I expect it to do something consistent, not be an extreme variable. Actually, as it stands, it reads more like a flaw than a talent. Because the only thing it is absolutely sure to do is creep out any NPC listening, friend or foe alike (not unlike Chilling Presence).

So for my own game, I gave it some consistency and teeth. I think the results are pretty damn cool, but I'm obviously biased. But I still would love to hear some from the table warstories from players that actually used Devil's Arithmetic with their characters.

Tom

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Dec 12, 2015 5:53 pm 

Blusponge wrote:
Dace wrote:

Well see, that's of the thing. I read the description several times and for the life of me have no idea how its supposed to work in play. I asked around here and didn't get much in the way of concrete clarification from Eric or anyone else. What does "manipulate the pattern of reality" mean? How much rope am I supposed to be giving players here? It's fine, I don't need everything spelled out for me. But as a player, when I spend 50 points on a Talent I expect it to do something consistent, not be an extreme variable. Actually, as it stands, it reads more like a flaw than a talent. Because the only thing it is absolutely sure to do is creep out any NPC listening, friend or foe alike (not unlike Chilling Presence).

So for my own game, I gave it some consistency and teeth. I think the results are pretty damn cool, but I'm obviously biased. But I still would love to hear some from the table warstories from players that actually used Devil's Arithmetic with their characters.

Tom

I view it as more situational. Something the PC's will have to set up in advance and kinda leave as a "trap". Or in a room where they intend to hold negoations but want to distract their target so they have it up on a chalk board where it's noticeable.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Dec 12, 2015 7:42 pm 

So it's kind of a big fake out?

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2015 1:06 am 

Blusponge wrote:
So it's kind of a big fake out?

I think more of a ploy that will require advance set up and forethought on the part of the player. It may not come up as often as other abilities though I imagine. Well except for maybe using it as torture as the talent indicates it could be.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Jan 01, 2016 2:09 pm 

To a certain extent, my answers are going to remain unsatisfactory about this sort of thing. Witch Hunter is a traditional RPG, but it does want to play in a lot of the space that the indi movement enjoys. Wagers, Faith/Damnation, Complications, etc., are all worked in to basically encourage the participants to just throw the predictable to the wind.

It is a talent that will have more use by a creative player in a game run by a flexible GM. Witch Hunter has tons of these. Clues to be given out in dreams, manipulate reality through clever planning, etc. The more we define these kinds of things, the less we can do with them.

Offline Profile  

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 29 posts ]  Moderators: james.zwiers, PCI Eric Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3