Last visit was: It is currently Mon Mar 18, 2024 10:14 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 31 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: A drunken undir outside a curio shop
PostPosted: Thu Dec 31, 2015 3:25 pm 

From out of the darkness a voice says, "One more thing Tukufu, you may want to rethink your choice of friends. I have a bad feeling about this one."

Haakon val'Ishi, Beltinian Exorcist 2.7 [Divine]
Ursula val'Holryn, Grand Master of the Tralian Hammer 2.2 [Martial]
Arun of Tultipet, Holy Champion of Neroth 1.10 [Expert]
Rikitsa val'Holryn, Psion 1.9 [Arcane]

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Dec 31, 2015 4:14 pm 

As he walks away from the pair, the figure muses to himself, "A pity the Undir is so drawn to alcohol, he could be a valuable asset. Alas he cannot be trusted. He clearly lacks control of his emotions. As for Tukufu, he bears watching. He perhaps may be of use in the future. I must check with my agents."

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2016 9:46 am 

Later that evening....

A hooded and cloaked figure moves warily down the streets of the Pearl District. It stops in front of a ramshackle tenement, seemingly no different from any other nearby. It raps a curious pattern on the door. The door opens and it enters. The interior is dark and two figures regard each other for a moment in the entrance hallway, before moving down the hallway. They pass several heavy curtains designed to block light and muffle sound into a dimly lit, sparsely furnished room. The figure removes his hood and cloak revealing the twisted form of a male gnome. Curiously, he wears well-cared for Lorica Segmentata and has a gladius strapped to his side. Hanging from his neck is the golden symbol of the Inquisition of the Mother Church. His companion is equally unusual. While the dim light makes it difficult to make out specifics his features clearly mark him as one of the tainted Dark-Kin.

The Dark-Kin offers the gnome a cup of watered wine. "Any luck Spurius?" The gnome grimaces as he sips the wine. "Mal you know I hate that name. Call me Claudius, or even Nerva, but not that." The Dark-Kin chuckles. "That's why I do it, to get under your skin." The gnome glares at the Dark-Kin before continuing. "To business. I have a mission for you. Set a watch on the Litera Scripta Manet. It's a rare book shop run by an Altherian named Tukufu. And before you ask no I don't think he's involved in anything heretical, but his activities since he arrived in the Blessed First City bear investigation. He has connections with Tomal Khan's Court and is a prominent member of the Emerald Society. We may be able to use him. But first we need to make sure he's not involved in anything questionable. Standard procedure Mal, nothing fancy yet. We don't want to tip our hand. I need to check things out with my local agents. Let me know if anything turns up. Right now I've had a bellyful of skulking around in the dark and am going to bed. Good night."

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2016 6:56 pm 

A few nights later...

The gnome sits at the table nursing a cup of watered wine while he ponders the reports in front of him. The curtain covering the doorway parts and a cloaked figure enters. He hangs the cloak on a hook and approaches the gnome. The light from a lantern on the table shows the figure to be a dark-kin. The gnome looks up. "Well what have you got for me?" he says brusquely. The dark-kin smirks and replies, "Need to work on those social skills Spurius, what would the Matriarch say?" "Enough of your jibes, report!" snaps the gnome. The dark-kin sighs, "Nothing to report sir, Tukufu exhibits no suspicious activity, although he did disappear from the shop some time back. Something about an expedition into nearby ruins. His behavior before and since is consistent, there's no sign of any contamination." The gnome frowns, "Keep up the surveillance, everybody has secrets and I want to know what his are. The Emerald Society has their hooks into him and you know how they are." His voice softens, "Good work though, go get some rest you've earned it. I have to finish reading these reports before sending in my own. Good night."

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2016 12:46 pm 

The next morning...

The gnome is sitting at the table eating breakfast when the dark-kin walks in. He looks up and motions for the dark-kin to take a seat. "Morning Mal, trust you got a good night's rest? says the gnome. "As well as you can get in a dive like this." replies the dark-kin. The gnome chuckles before replying, "Right, on to business then. Something's come up I want you to look into. A human calling himself Bardus Maximus has been making waves with the local Ansharans and encouraging people destroy the gates if you can believe that. He needs to be stopped, but we don't want him to disappear. That would simply lend credence to his claims or worse turn him into a martyr. No we need to find a way to discredit him so that people think he's just another crackpot. The First City has plenty of those." The dark-kin nods in agreement. "So put your agents to work and let's see what we can dig up on this Bardus."

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2016 7:37 pm 

Later that afternoon.....

"...a yo, ho, ho, and a -hick- nother bottle of rum..."

Staggering into the inn smallish human nearly five feet in height, and none of it sober crashing in though the door. "...Yo...I hear some darkkin who's been -hick- sleeping her. -Belch- 'been ask'n questions 'bout me. Well, if you see him, I'll talk for the price of a keg of 'dis rotgut they serve down here in da pearl. It's foul, but effective. One of the best stupor to weight ratios in the land."

The storied 'less-than-gentle' man walks over to the gnome an asks...

"'twat you staring at gnome? Yea, I got this brand on my face as a "gift" from Osric's Cheaters. It stands for Piracy. Something about being a cabin boy on the wrong side of history. Damn, marines think everyone that dip their flag on the high seas is a pirate.

"Nah I've seen that look on your face before. Your too afraid of that holy ich of your mother church to so much as drink. Ya, I've seen you tea-totlers before. Afraid of a poor bottle.... Bah your as bad as the snakes!

There once was a gnome called Oozy,
Who kissed a Yaricite floozy.
But rather than wed,
She drowned him instead,
Now he is a Yaricite toosey!

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2016 7:49 am 

The gnome looks up at the pirate bewildered. "Have we met good sir? I'm pretty sure we have not. I do believe I am not the gnome you are looking for. As for your brand, count yourself lucky you were not born a gnome. Now there's a brand for you!" The gnome cracks a crooked smile. "Tell you what friend, have a seat and let me buy you a round of what passes for the good stuff around her. Tell me the tale of your life and maybe I'll give you a taste of my personal stash." The gnome lowers his voice to a conspiratorial whisper as he pats his hip. "Genuine aged Tralian whisky. Goes down smooth and really warms the belly. So what say you?"

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2016 11:27 am 

Meanwhile on the other side of the inn Malekith watches the conversation between the drunken pirate and the gnome with amused interest. "Not much to work with there," he thinks to himself, "but we must work with the tools the Gods place in front of us."

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2016 12:21 pm 

"..Now that's a bargin worth taking! But why do you care about my life when the real enemy are the Ansharans?"

There once was a gnome called Oozy,
Who kissed a Yaricite floozy.
But rather than wed,
She drowned him instead,
Now he is a Yaricite toosey!

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2016 12:41 pm 

After flagging down a serving wench to order a round of drinks, the gnome turns to the pirate, a shocked and bewildered look on his twisted face. "How can you say that! Why I would be frozen dead on the streets of Enpebyn as a wee babe had the Ansharans not taken me in." He glares at the pirate. "Are you sure that's not the liquor talking? Or something a mite stronger? I went on a three day bender in Savona with some Larissans once. Still can't remember what happened...good times though..." The gnome stops in mid-sentence his eyes narrowing as he looks up at the pirate and lowers his voice. "Be careful 'round here. The Ansharans have friends in the Pearl, that they do. What do you mean calling them the enemy?"

Offline Profile  

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 31 posts ]  Moderators: james.zwiers, PCI Eric Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next