Last visit was: It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:14 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Re: Marbled Scales
PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2014 7:16 pm 

"So, the Val'Mehan are not only the binders of demons and oaths. They also bind their emotions. Is this true for all of your bloodline? I know the burden some put on our shoulders, after all I am told that I and my brothers are the future of the Black Talons. I only hope that when the time comes for me to choose my future that I can bind my emotions as well as you."

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2014 1:32 am 

"Belthazor I know few people, such as you...who hail from Canceri. If its not offensive to you, I would ask what you believe about the Church of the Dark Triumverate.

"I know the Canceri Church purports that the world is a broken and evil place. And that only by wallowing in evil can the soul be sickened of it. Eventually abandoning the mortal plane for the Paradise of the Gods. But how does this align with the Judgement of Nier? Does not the Judgement punish the soul for sins and condemn it to the Cauldron and not reincarnation? I would know if you see the world as fallen. And the role of evil in the world."

AKA Ambassador Tukufu, man of letters, tomb raider and Master Sword Sage
. . . and Sir Szymon val'Holryn, Order of the Phoenix
Formerly Sir Jaeger val'Holryn. Weilder of the Holy Avenger: Thonanos. Gave his soul to help free King Noen

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2014 6:19 pm 

"It is all intertwined," Belthazor explained to the ss'ressen. "To treat with demons is to risk manipulation, and likewise, the minutiae of the Sarishan Oath requires emotional distance, as the Oath adheres to the letter of the agreement, not the spirit with which it was made, as our recent travels can no doubt attest. Only a handful of members of my family learn those nuances, but of those few, they are among the most respected--and feared--of emissaries in all of Arcanis."

He could see the burden tugging at Vincent's thoughts. "I am no oracular Larissan. My mother did not pass along that gift. I cannot say what your future holds. I have been on this world far too long and seen far too much to think that such cannot be cast aside, your destiny to be written by you, through word and deed."

"I take no offense," he assured the Altherian. "I have rather thick skin in that regard. Your questions are not as simple as you might think, and their answers even less so. The Dark Triumvirate views the world as corrupt and damaged, to be sure, but it is an open expression that I believe to be the opinion of others as well. I resided in Grand Coryan for longer than you have been alive, and I know Mother Church all too well. Similarly, I remember when the Milandric Orthodoxy split away from its tenets. If the world were not flawed, what use would there be in priests to return the flock to the fold?"

He stroked his chin, considering his next words. "There are those among the Dark Triumvirate that believe evil should be embraced to immunize the soul, as it were. There are others, like myself, who believe that evil is a part of this world, not to be embraced, but resisted. Evil comes in many guises, and I assure you, that contrary to popular belief, all of it does not reside in Canceri."

"Much of it, however, does," he smiled. "Does the omnipresence of evil prepare the spirit? I do not profess to know, but you have a narrow view of faith. Nier punishes sins, but if 'wallowing in evil' is the teaching of your church, is doing so a sin? That is a question for the scholars and theologians. Once, long ago, I gave up my soul to be damned in exchange for a good man's rightful deliverance to the Cauldron. My soul was restored years later, but how would you view my actions? Was I a hero for my sacrifice? Or was I a fool? History is written by the victors, but righteousness is written by the church. I come from a land ruled by the church, so I can attest to its fallibility. When it is all said and done, you must do what is right for you in the eyes of your god as you see fit. You will have your answer when you face the Judgement, and not before. I am afraid such concerns are beyond me now, so I give them little thought these days."

He nodded at Tukufu. "I am certain that is not the end that you would have sought for your discourse, but it is the only one I have. There are others far more versed than myself. Like most of those descended from the Valinor of the Dark Triumvirate, I was tutored in the ways of the church, but I confess that I have more faith in people than the gods--faith to do good... and to do bad. I try to understand hidden motivations and desires, and the Lord of Secrets indulges my divided loyalties. I never took my vows, opting instead to become an Emissary, but it was no higher calling. I did so to be close to my children, who were far safer among enemies in the Coryani Empire than with my family in Nishanpur."

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2014 1:57 am 

"I have been entertaining the idea of delving more into my own religion thus finding more infromation on my origins. Since you two are vastly more verrsed in the world than I, being sheltered away most of my life. Can you tell of what you have learned of the Fire Dragon? Also, how he and his followers entwine with each other of the other religions? (I don't know that I would know this as a character but as a a player I have read that the trogldytes were created by Yig and the were misshapen beasts and only Kasagore could correct them, so I trying to find a lead that my brothers and I may have been also created this way.)

Belthazor since you have been around so long have your ever had the acquaintence of my father? Perhaps before he became the Pyros Morialius and after he took the essence of the val, I would like to know more of how having the essence affected him. I have that it was very negative and strained on his mind terribly."

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2014 9:50 pm 

"Uh...You're asking me about the Fire Dragon? I had hoped, more or less, to learn from you on that topic, but dropped it when I learned how little time you've spent in Lanpeltis."

Tukufu spares a quick glance at Belthazor ....

"Right. Uh, well. From the perspective of the Mother Church, the Fire Dragon is an aspect of Nier. But no none who looks deeply at this answer comes away entirely satisfied.

"For one thing Lanpeltis, the capitol in the Sulfur Marsh is supposed to predate the coming of the Pantheon of Man to the shores of Onara which begs the question of who built it. To my knowledge the Matriarchs have consistently refused to allow teams of archaeologists or scholars to visit. Very very few no-ss'ressen ever visit there.

"For another thing, though Nier is a fiery god he is also the God of Flaming Destruction. As I understand it, the Black Talon's had to flee Ssethregore because they refused to destroy a rival egg clutch. It seems somewhat incongruous that Nier would choose a people who essentially refused to fight.

"I am not really sure how to properly reconcile these incongruities. Its almost as much of a headache as the historical records of humans living on Onara before the coming of the Pantheon of Man.

"Milandir of course has embraced the Fire Dragon as a seperate entity and a God in his own right. I am not entirely sure what this means at ground level. Does the Mother Matriarch as high priestess of the Fire Dragon now answer to the Primarch on matters of temple organization or doctrine? Can a human become a priest of the Fire Dragon? Will the Black Talons send acolytes to train under the other Deities? Somehow I doubt these things. I don't know what all the repercussions will be, but I expect unexpected consequences to emerge with time.

"Perhaps you will be a bridge over these divides.

"One thing I would note is that the Fire Dragon brought a message of empathy and honor. He called for his people to make sacrifices now to forge a better future for the children to come. Whoever or whatever the Fire Dragon is, that message itself is divine."

Formerly Sir Jaeger val'Holryn. Weilder of the Holy Avenger: Thonanos. Gave his soul to help free King Noen

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2014 11:05 pm 

"What I know of the Fire Dragon is only what the preistesses have taught me. We venerate the four aspects of the Fire Dragon; Loyalty, Bravery, Honor, and Compassion. He rarely, if ever, intervenes in matters of the world, though I am glad he helped my father. They have not allowed me to access any much more knowlege about the Fire Dragon, my father's savior.

I don't see how Neir could even be asociated with my Lord. The Fire Dragon's flames burned even before Nier was a tiny spark. I have also not seen much compassion from a lot of Nier's followers as a whole. I wonder if Nier stole his fire from the Fire Dragon like the Elorii claim he did from their elemental lords?

It just puts me in a quandry. If I want to delve more into the religous aspects of my exsistance then should I try to understand more? Shouldn't the preistesses try to help me understand how I came into exsistance and how my father is what he is? I would like to lead the black talons into a new and great age, as the prophecies tell, but how do I do this if I don't understand the full extent of my own exsistance?(Shakes his head) I must find this knowledge. Where to start?"

"Sorry, for the tangential dialogue. There are things I wonder and I shouldn't put them to prose."

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2014 5:48 pm 

"As far as I have seen everyone is full of metaphorical holes to some degree, and no one I've met understands the full extent of their own existence. Believe you me that there are many questions I wish I could ask my parents now that I am an adult. But they both fell resisting the elorii invasion. So despite what I've learned from my Grandmother about who they were there are many things I'll only be able to guess at.

"Time and resources are always an issue. Still I can see a few avenues that might be useful to you. You could petition your Matriarch to become an itinerant Templar if you wish further instruction in the faith. And of course you might seek out your father. Or your father's companions. The val'Sosi lands were in Moratavia if I'm not mistaken, so I assume they're in Almeric now. You might try visiting there as well if given the chance. "

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2014 4:01 am 

Belthazor nodded. "I believe I met your father once--along with several of his val'Sosi brethen--many years ago. It was not so long after the Serenity of Beltine bequeathed her power to them, so the changes were new. I'm not sure if there were many changes beyond their gifts yet, and I was a younger man then, so I may not have noticed if there were."

"I suspect you are correct, though," he admitted. "There was a heroic spirit among all of his nascent family, and yet, I did not see him long after, even amidst the climax of the Coryani Civil War and the culmination of the machinations of the Valinor Manetas. Though he was not the only one, as I do not remember seeing Rekalas after, either. Ven had not been born a Val like Amerith, who seemed to take to it instantly. I crossed paths with Grim and Locke over the years, as well, and they seemed none the worse for it. They were not ss'ressen, though."

He smiled. "As for what I know of the Fire Dragon," he began, "I have enough enemies both with and without cause to want me dead as to not needlessly add to that list by sharing knowledge that should be acquired first-hand. Our recent travails to Ymandragore were reminder enough of that, as my dealings with the Sanctorum recently prove that things ultimately do come full circle. They tried to assassinate me decades ago when I was yet among the living."

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Sep 27, 2014 9:05 pm 

A long dark shadow of a malformed hand stretches out from the firelight across the table. It is holding a page of paper. ::Tap, tap, thud:: is the sound as the page is nailed to the mantel.

The little Gnome with his hunched back, huge arm, and grey skin tripping in ooze cackles.

"Yes... Valinor of Beltine in chains. Valinor dies. She goes where SHE went. Heheeh. It's true. It's all true. All things die."

Turning your heads to the words on the page, it reads.
WARNING: The DESTROYER is coming.
(Don't worry your gods will save you.)

The shadow turns his head to the table, and squints. "Oh hello Mr. Smart man!"

There once was a gnome called Oozy,
Who kissed a Yaricite floozy.
But rather than wed,
She drowned him instead,
Now he is a Yaricite toosey!

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2014 9:26 pm 

"Oh gods .... It's HIM! That's my part time gnomish stalker. Sometimes he gives me fits. His name is Ooze Puddle or something."

"NO!" "Don't look at him. Maybe if we just don't look at him he'll ... ?"

"Or wait. Do you want to hear some really wild speculation? We could invite him over ... Guaranteed to be memorable. But Oozy doesn't sit next to me. Alright?"

Offline Profile  

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 28 posts ]  Moderators: james.zwiers, PCI Eric Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next