Last visit was: It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:47 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 46 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject: Re: Legends of Arcanis Campaign Changes - Effective January
PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2014 3:37 pm 

SamhainIA wrote:
T-shirts and Patches are all part of the reward heap correct?

Yes and there's some interesting tidbits...

1) It covers Clothing and Player Rewards. BI certs for a character are part of that character's award and don't appear to be limited by the Heap (Battle of Jappa named Certificate for instance. This is an odd one as their is a Reward Cert AND a Patch which is for the Player)
2) Reward Heap benefits may be applied to other people at the table (I wasn't aware of this beyond #3)
3) You can loan items to other players ahead of time (This is something people do regularly)

The "Patch" would be a Player Reward I think and be part of the Heap.

John

Kelb'Bakari Masalio, Dark-kin Altherian Corsair, Gentleman Archaeologist, and Wandering Bard
"The highest compliment an Altherian can pay you is to shoot you with his flintlock. It means you were worth the expense."

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2014 6:26 pm 

I like the changes to Fate. It makes things simpler from both a bookkeeping and DM standpoint. It also makes it uniform across the board so players know whether or not to utilize those Fate points because they're not having to wonder if we judges will be awarding them X amount or not.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2014 7:43 pm 

I applaud rule changes 1 & 2. I feel that if there is no bookkeeping/lifestyle costs there should be no earning a living. That to me is all gain and no risk;I see no issue there.

Change number 3 I don't really have an opinion on yet. I'll reserve that right for a later time once I see how it works in game play. I understand that the mechanics of using fate is delicate and some form of balance needs to be found in how it is acquired and spent.

My biggest issue is with rule change number 4 (and that may be because I don't know the rationale and/or reasoning behind the limit). While, like others, I've never really seen the "you don't die" use that often, I can say from personal experience and observations as a judge that the "due the impossible" is used quite a lot (ie: gain access to a needed talent that the party as a whole does not have and/or the chance to use a once per scene talent an extra time, such as leadership). One I have personally used frequently when doing the impossible is to gain access to a weapon trick one tier (and only one tier) higher than my current pc level. For story reasons and mechanics, this does not seem too absurd.
Now it may be just my interpretation of the new rule, but it has always been my understanding that the fate use list on pg. 319 of the players handbook was not all inclusive. I feel as if the new rule makes it inclusive in a rather limited sense. I have been told by past judges that if a particular use is not mentioned on this list it falls into the realm of doing the impossible. If that is the way things are supposed to be understood, then the list is all inclusive except for that one time per a mod when the impossible can be done (because anything not on the list would fall into the realm of doing the impossible). With a cap of how much fate any one person can use per a particular mod, I don't see how limiting the number of times an ability can be used would be needed, unless the rule was extended to all possible fate point usage (at which point it would not be such a big deal, as there would be a finite number of times anyone particular ability could be used, and would be tracked as one would when leveling up their pc or using a one time use talent). it would be much appreciated if the powers to be could please explain the rational behind this limit to me so that i can attempt to not only understand its need but also get behind it both as a player and judge.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Jan 11, 2014 11:33 pm 

Patches only grant fate during a BI and haven't counted towards the heap before.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun Jan 12, 2014 2:57 am 

I'm a fan of #1 and #3 (better be a fan of #3, I suggested it). #2 doesn't really ruffle any of my feathers, since most of the time I forgot to Earn A Living anyway. I'm just not sure why #4 needed to be included (still ain't gonna complain, though).

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun Jan 12, 2014 9:21 am 

I always liked the idea of Earn a Living, but as with others frequently forgot it. I'll be a little sad to see it gone, would have preferred just toning it down a little. Perhaps would have made it so you earn your entire roll/double your roll in copper.

Regardless, by and large I think these will be good changes.

aka Rurik - Nol Dappan War Priest (Divine 2.3)
aka Karthik - Tultipetan Stonemason (Expert 1.4)

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun Jan 12, 2014 9:26 am 

Is earning a living rule effective immediately by or effective in new mods.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun Jan 12, 2014 9:36 am 

deviknyte wrote:
Is earning a living rule effective immediately by or effective in new mods.

All changes are effective starting January 15th...regardless of mod played.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun Jan 12, 2014 9:52 am 

acurrier wrote:
I always liked the idea of Earn a Living, but as with others frequently forgot it. I'll be a little sad to see it gone, would have preferred just toning it down a little. Perhaps would have made it so you earn your entire roll/double your roll in copper.

Regardless, by and large I think these will be good changes.

Total roll in copper would have made it worthless for the bookkeeping involved :)

John

Kelb'Bakari Masalio, Dark-kin Altherian Corsair, Gentleman Archaeologist, and Wandering Bard
"The highest compliment an Altherian can pay you is to shoot you with his flintlock. It means you were worth the expense."

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun Jan 12, 2014 10:59 am 

I understand the reasoning for getting rid of earning a living for all mods (simpler and no questions). However, I still think it sets a bad precedent in giving players who have already completed Crusade a significant monetary advantage over those who are still playing their way through it. I did some quick calculations - earning a living was about a 25% bonus to wealth across the entire Crusade Arc (~3Gc when mods gave ~12Gc) - not game-breaking but that does give 60% of an extra rune or (cheap) exceptional weapon.

Eryk Bauer - Martial Awakened 1.2

Offline Profile  

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 46 posts ]  Moderators: james.zwiers, PCI Eric Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next