Last visit was: It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:51 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Re: Legends of Arcanis Campaign Changes - Effective January
PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2014 12:05 am 

wilcoxon wrote:
The big difference I see between this and mith's "software update to a video game" is the software updates always retroactively affects everyone (for multiplayer online games anyway). Retroactively affecting everyone in a non-computer system isn't really feasible so I'm not suggesting that (just pointing it out as a difference).

Actually, it's exactly like an update to an online game. In GameStateA there exists an 'overpowered' character build or situational exploit that allows players to amass a decent fortune either through easier game play or said exploit. The developers decide to patch the game to GameStateB, which fixes the overpower and the loophole. Is that somehow unfair to new players?

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2014 12:21 am 

Njal Val'Assante wrote:
I'll give you guys full transparency here: I like complicated. I like a world so detailed that I can immerse myself in the accounting and the currency exchange rates between countries

The every god/God/Gods mankind has ever prayed to that you're not allowed to do that, Tony. LOL I love math, I'm really good at it, but if I had to deal with all of that for a GAME...I'd shoot myself. I wanna PLAY in the world, not LIVE in it...

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2014 3:51 am 

mith wrote:
Njal Val'Assante wrote:
I'll give you guys full transparency here: I like complicated. I like a world so detailed that I can immerse myself in the accounting and the currency exchange rates between countries

The every god/God/Gods mankind has ever prayed to that you're not allowed to do that, Tony. LOL I love math, I'm really good at it, but if I had to deal with all of that for a GAME...I'd shoot myself. I wanna PLAY in the world, not LIVE in it...

Well, the reality of a Living style campaign is: you can't ;) So I would suggest you are safe from that (unless you ever play in a home-game that Tony runs).

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2014 1:04 pm 

Even though I like attempting the impossible on a "regular" basis, I also appreciate these changes!

-Sean

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2014 5:02 pm 

james.zwiers wrote:
mith wrote:
Njal Val'Assante wrote:

Well, the reality of a Living style campaign is: you can't ;) So I would suggest you are safe from that (unless you ever play in a home-game that Tony runs).

I freely admit, I love Tony as a GM. One of the best.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2014 6:41 pm 
To add to Val'Holryn's points the TU issue was also exacerbated by the system, with magic item crafting in particular being a bugbear. Not having to struggle with that solves a lot of issues inherently. TU's also came with the burden of requiring verisimilitude. "You can't be everywhere doing everything." Really? Says who? Why does that person's perspective require satisfying? Have we talked about weapon weights yet? What about armor's protective value? Can you guess how deep this rabbit hole goes? :lol:

I'll miss the Earn a Living rules because it was kind of a fun thing to do. I didn't really see it as a necessity -I tended to forget to do it about 1/4's the time's possible, and it gave some use to otherwise fluff skills. Oh well, c'est la vie.

I'm happy with the Fate changes. It's smart, simple, and clean. And makes Cursed mean something. Thumbs up all around.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 46 posts ]  Moderators: james.zwiers, PCI Eric Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5