Last visit was: It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:40 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 60 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Post subject: Re: Fate Point Cap
PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2013 3:51 pm 

Well, to respond on your points, I'm rerunning the first arc for a new group, so I've started to look at the encounters more but have not examined the BI's too much yet. You did identify the first-run BIs, which I've been at and definitely drew out Fate Points at times - if this was done to draw out Fate Points, I understand the intent/desire during those events. I'll agree that Fate Points were high/pooled too much, and the awarding of Fate Points seemed to vary greatly judge to judge.

Just wanted to post a gentle reminder going forward on this resource being limited now. Overall, the earlier BI I played via home play seemed fine, from what I remember - the first runs, which I've only been to two, seemed to draw/require their expenditure much more.

I definitely like the Fate mechanic, and prefer it be used and earn on a even footing, but requiring to spend and change Fate all the time is the only concern I wanted to address. :)

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun Oct 13, 2013 8:51 pm 

I use Fate as I think it was intended and have fun with it. Generally, I only have a little more than I received from an adventure because I spent it on everything from battle to RP. I can't even imagine banking it. Why even have it? My con experience running has been that I (as a player) or someone else at the table spends Fate to get us through something while others don't even think to. In some cases, I feel my liberal use has kept us alive and find myself slightly frustrated when others sit on their's. Meh, to each his own. Anyway, the real reason I came:

SamhainIA wrote:
Jeremy (Astroilar), do you feel that there are encounters out there that are that unbalanced (and have you went back to look at the encounter to make sure it was ran correctly)

I personally dont think that there are any encounters out there that are that over balanced, aside from the first run BI events, and those have been overbalanced intentionally to draw out fate points, but that really falls into how the judge handled that.

I submit the un-winnable fight. HP8, final scene. To me, that is quite possibly the most unbalanced encounter I have ever played in any system.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun Oct 13, 2013 9:20 pm 

acurrier wrote:
Pretty sure PCs can spend their fate score per scene, which does change things a little. Assuming a score of 3, over three combats a PC could spend 9 fate. Add a couple fate spent on various action rolls in other scenes (Perception, Knowledge, etc) and you could easily run over the cap in a standard mod.

I agree that the cap will have the largest impact at BIs though, as you can easily drop 20-30 fate in a BI.

My understanding has been that you can spend your fate score per adventure (or round in a two round module). Do I have that wrong?

AKA Ambassador Tukufu, man of letters, tomb raider and Master Sword Sage
. . . and Sir Szymon val'Holryn, Order of the Phoenix
Formerly Sir Jaeger val'Holryn. Weilder of the Holy Avenger: Thonanos. Gave his soul to help free King Noen

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2013 7:54 am 

Eric, that is the current rule tho it has been suspended at certain BIs

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2013 7:59 am 

Patrick, while that fight is certainly difficult, its not unwinnable. it just requires players to think outside of the box, and use tactics they may not have used before.

This isn't the forum to discuss that fight in specific tho, we can discuss it in a spoiler forum if you wish

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2013 9:27 am 

Hey Josh,
I appreciate the offer, but after running and playing the mod several times, I am fed up with the last fight. I agree with tactics, etc, for most fights, but there's not much out of the box thinking you can do with those stat blocks. I'd be happy to talk in person about it at the next con we find ourselves at (and especially hearing from you and/or others who have made that one work), but don't really want to debate it in a back and forth text conversation.

Thanks!
Patrick

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2013 10:08 am 

A shameless plug, but ArcanisCon seems to be a place where all the cool kids hand out in the winter ( well ... U-Con too )

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2013 3:51 am 

SamhainIA wrote:
A shameless plug, but ArcanisCon seems to be a place where all the cool kids hand out in the winter ...

Oooh. Oooohh. I want to hang out with the cool kids this year! :D

Seriously, as a last thought on the thread, has anyone thought about running the BIs without lifting the Fate Cap? Might be a simpler solution. Let people fester with 500 points of fate they can't spend ... also solves the problem.

AKA Ambassador Tukufu, man of letters, tomb raider and Master Sword Sage
. . . and Sir Szymon val'Holryn, Order of the Phoenix
Formerly Sir Jaeger val'Holryn. Weilder of the Holy Avenger: Thonanos. Gave his soul to help free King Noen

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2013 10:57 am 

At the end of the day, the cap has been set. <Redacted>

Going forward, we'll be doing our best to ensure that no fight *requires* Fate points to live (barring bad dice rolls, which is something we can't control).

Also, as a teaser for ArcaniCon directly related to this:

Halden Vulgar peruses the documents that lay scattered on his desk. Hundreds of pages waited, copied from the originals in the Great Library of Althares and sent to him through an intricate network, finally arriving at the Milandisian Museum of Art and Antiquity. He sighs. I don't see how they expect me to find anything in all this,he mutters to himself. Someone obviously went out of their way to purge as much mention of this place as they could... Halden picks up one of the pages, and reads: "Buried deep in the Corlathian mountains... <damaged> ... civil relations with the local Gar ... <damaged>." The next one is not much better: "Once long, long ago, far away on the edge of the Blessed Lands, there was a great fortress built to keep ... <damaged>."

His hands stray along the papers, until slowly coming to rest on a pair. Thoughtfully, he pulls them out of their sheaf. The first one is written in stark, solid letters, in an old but common dialect of Ancient Altharin and very brief: "The Vault is buried for a reason. Its secrets can remain there beyond the end of time itself. No good can come from Larissa's Tear, nor aught else that may be found within." The second is an alchemical formula involving some sort of venom. The text is an archaic form of Ancient Altharin, clearly from around the time of the First Imperium. Most of the text was damaged beyond repair, but one phrase near the bottom catches Halden's attention: "With these ingredients and techniques we were able to imbue our tools and the weapons of our defenders with Larissa's kiss. We are able to literally hold our own Fate in our hands and work wonders." Halden frowns, then sets the papers to the side, before methodically returning to searching for more information on the Vault of Larissa's Lament.

Last edited by Njal Val'Assante on Thu Oct 17, 2013 9:30 am, edited 1 time in total.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2013 7:18 am 

So how does the cap get implemented? I'm assuming we won't say "Okay you lose X fate" but that as you spend it, you don't get any more until you're under the cap?

John

Kelb'Bakari Masalio, Dark-kin Altherian Corsair, Gentleman Archaeologist, and Wandering Bard
"The highest compliment an Altherian can pay you is to shoot you with his flintlock. It means you were worth the expense."

Offline Profile  

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 60 posts ]  Moderators: james.zwiers, PCI Eric Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next