Last visit was: It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:57 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 60 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Post subject: Re: Fate Point Cap
PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2013 10:26 am 

If there are people running around with 50+ or 100+ fate, I don't think we have a choice other than to say "your fate is reduced to the cap immediately".

Eryk Bauer - Martial Awakened 1.2

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2013 7:57 am 

I'm talking those who may be say 15-20.

John

Kelb'Bakari Masalio, Dark-kin Altherian Corsair, Gentleman Archaeologist, and Wandering Bard
"The highest compliment an Altherian can pay you is to shoot you with his flintlock. It means you were worth the expense."

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Oct 22, 2013 11:07 pm 

I would propose that you don't (completely) screw anyone out of Fate they've 'earned'. Don't force people to lose Fate due to the cap, just increase the cost to spend it.

Fate Pool >= 100, cost 5 fate points to get the usual effect of 1
99 >= FP >= 75, 4 to 1
74 >= FP >= 50, 3 to 1
49 >= FP >= 25, 2 to 1
FP <= 24, 1 to 1

While in excess of the cap, no Fate may be earned.

You still bleed the excess Fate Points, you just don't amputate it.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Oct 22, 2013 11:08 pm 

Honestly, for homeplay you can ultimately do what you want. But for Con Play, you are going to have to be under the Point Cap. How you get there is, ultimately, up to you.

Haakon Marcus val'Virdan, Divine Holy Judge of Nier
Ruma val'Vasik, Martial Crusader and Master of the Spear
Jorma Osterman, Arcane Coryani Battlemage

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Oct 22, 2013 11:11 pm 

SamhainIA wrote:
that are that over balanced

*ACK* My eyes are bleeding... A thing cannot be "over balanced"; it is either balanced or not. It can be 'over powered', however...

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Oct 22, 2013 11:14 pm 

dragonwarriorfan wrote:
I submit the un-winnable fight. HP8, final scene. To me, that is quite possibly the most unbalanced encounter I have ever played in any system.

Really?! Last time I ran that, as GM, I was cheating - badly - and my players still managed to beat the everliving piss out of that encounter...

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2013 2:57 am 

mith wrote:
dragonwarriorfan wrote:
I submit the un-winnable fight. HP8, final scene. To me, that is quite possibly the most unbalanced encounter I have ever played in any system.

Really?! Last time I ran that, as GM, I was cheating - badly - and my players still managed to beat the everliving piss out of that encounter...

Likewise, with the exception of the big boss fight in one of the early mods (trying to avoid spoilers but it's the one with the cold molten lava) my players have cake walked every fight. That includes me trying to be sneaky with them and adding extra combatants/ increases to bad guys HP and skills. Still got to run the final BI though of the crusade.

And that's with them having a max fate of their fate score (usually 4-5 now). Fate doesn't feel important if it's spent on trivial actions and when one of them pops a point you know they are taking the situation seriously.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2013 3:07 pm 

mith wrote:
SamhainIA wrote:
that are that over balanced

*ACK* My eyes are bleeding... A thing cannot be "over balanced"; it is either balanced or not. It can be 'over powered', however...

HA try again, overbalanced, has a similar meaning to unbalanced

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2013 4:59 pm 

If you want to see what fate die will turn into when/if we do a 2nd edition of the Arcanis Role Playing Game (also what we will be doing with flaws) pick up a copy of Rotted Capes and read Plot Die.

Just saying :D

Carry on

Paradigm Concepts
Miami, Florida

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2013 9:53 pm 

1) Has anyone else played games with fate/action/etc points? In games where they do not reset every adventure, where you keep track of them like coin, they become a false resource. Some players will horde them, some adventures won't require their use, some people will use them immediately after receiving them. Once you add in the fact that this is a living/shared campaign where there are many gms with different players every table the numbers aren't going to match up.

2) Since there is a cap of how many on points you can spend each adventure and a cap on BIs, not sure it matters how many anyone has.

3) Will BIs be toned down now? I feel like the last 2 BIs were built with spending 20+ fate points in mind and I'm wondering if they'll be toned down for survival sake? I loved when we came up on Uxcy and the cap was removed. It was cinematic and felt good and was all around awesome. But when the cap was removed during a random scene at Origins I felt like the fights had been ramped up to the point where the extra fate point use was required, like we were in some kind fate point Cold War.

That being said I am supportive of a Fate Point cap. Keeps things nice and simple.

Offline Profile  

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 60 posts ]  Moderators: james.zwiers, PCI Eric Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next