Last visit was: It is currently Sat Nov 25, 2017 12:55 am


All times are UTC - 5 hours




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 60 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Author Message
 Post subject: Re: Fate Point Cap
PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2013 2:52 pm 

Joined: Mon Oct 07, 2013 11:30 pm
Posts: 193
I have another take, that I posted in another thread:

Solve all the Fate Point issues at the same time. What are those issues, you ask? Things like: some GMs being more generous/stingy than others; players 'banking' them and/or 'hesitant' to spend them, players having X points but can only spend X/3 per module, etc.

For the shared campaign, the solution is simple: every adventure all characters start with a number of Fate Points equal to their Fate Score. Points do not accumulate or carry over. No bookkeeping... No worries about GMs giving too many or not enough...


Let private home games accumulate and carry over (or not, depending on the GM).


Top
Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Fate Point Cap
PostPosted: Fri Dec 06, 2013 4:06 am 

Joined: Fri Oct 11, 2013 5:01 am
Posts: 83
mith wrote:
I have another take, that I posted in another thread:

Solve all the Fate Point issues at the same time. What are those issues, you ask? Things like: some GMs being more generous/stingy than others; players 'banking' them and/or 'hesitant' to spend them, players having X points but can only spend X/3 per module, etc.

For the shared campaign, the solution is simple: every adventure all characters start with a number of Fate Points equal to their Fate Score. Points do not accumulate or carry over. No bookkeeping... No worries about GMs giving too many or not enough...


Let private home games accumulate and carry over (or not, depending on the GM).



Like +1

I do agree with this. Nice and simple.

In the last BI of the crusade arc my players spent a grand total of 1 fate point. And that was to wipe some strain even though the combat actually finished the next tick. Most of the time they don't need it or use it.


Top
Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Fate Point Cap
PostPosted: Fri Dec 06, 2013 9:19 am 

Joined: Fri Sep 27, 2013 8:36 am
Posts: 1544
mininin, if your players aren't being challenged, then ultimately, its not a fault of the fate system or the module, but an oversight of the Chronicler .

Arcanis mods, particularly BIs have complex stat blocks in them, and its easy to overlook why or how the combat is supposed to be challenging, the only home game BI ive run is Joppa, but even then I took a significant number of Fate points from my players.

Your goal as a Chronicler is to figure out how to challenge players with the mod. We should probably start a discussion on just that topic, but when prepping you find an encounter that dosen't seem challenging, post about it on the spoilers board, that's what its there for.

_________________
--Josh Elliott
Oswald val'Inares V, The True King of Milandir
Harvester Lord of the Eastern Fields of Iowa, and the dominions of Coralville and Dubuque


Top
Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Fate Point Cap
PostPosted: Fri Dec 06, 2013 9:34 am 
User avatar

Joined: Fri Sep 27, 2013 10:40 am
Posts: 2046
If it appears the characters are walking through an encounter that's supposed to be challenging, then I just add more 'challenge'. That can take the form of extra Stamina, another creature coming in, or anything like that. From what I've seen players like to have their characters challenged, as it makes for way more memorable adventures than the one where they walked through without trouble.

John

_________________
- John Bellando

Kelb'Bakari Masalio, Dark-kin Altherian Corsair, Gentleman Archaeologist, and Wandering Bard
"The highest compliment an Altherian can pay you is to shoot you with his flintlock. It means you were worth the expense."


Top
Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Fate Point Cap
PostPosted: Fri Dec 06, 2013 2:31 pm 

Joined: Mon Oct 07, 2013 11:30 pm
Posts: 193
I agree and I do the same.

The thought process behind my suggestion was basically to eliminate bookkeeping and "level the playing field" due to differing styles of FP allotment from GM to GM across a decent-sized-and-growing shared campaign.

Josh has stated he lost something like 70 or 80 FP due to the cap, due to never having an opportunity to use them en masse because he judged the BIs. Even if I had never played a BI, I never would have had close to that amount because of the way most of my judges gave out FPs (pretty stingily). Plus, when you judge, you don't get FP - so my secondary character had almost none 'banked'.

Harliquinn wrote:
If it appears the characters are walking through an encounter that's supposed to be challenging, then I just add more 'challenge'. That can take the form of extra Stamina, another creature coming in, or anything like that. From what I've seen players like to have their characters challenged, as it makes for way more memorable adventures than the one where they walked through without trouble.

John


Top
Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Fate Point Cap
PostPosted: Fri Dec 06, 2013 2:45 pm 
User avatar

Joined: Fri Sep 27, 2013 10:47 am
Posts: 2381
Location: Central Alberta
Maybe it is just me, but I personally think "Subtract 5 Sc" during the adventure is LESS bookkeeping than saying "Well, you rented a room in the Inn, had a warm meal, and two drinks, so adding all that up. . ." stuff that we've been getting recently.

Maybe that is just me.

_________________
Cody Bergman
Legends of Arcanis Campaign Staff
Initial Author Contact/Adventure Vetting

Haakon Marcus val'Virdan, Divine Holy Judge of Nier
Ruma val'Vasik, Martial Crusader and Master of the Spear
Jorma Osterman, Arcane Coryani Battlemage


Top
Online Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Fate Point Cap
PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2013 3:24 am 

Joined: Fri Oct 11, 2013 5:01 am
Posts: 83
SamhainIA wrote:
mininin, if your players aren't being challenged, then ultimately, its not a fault of the fate system or the module, but an oversight of the Chronicler .

Arcanis mods, particularly BIs have complex stat blocks in them, and its easy to overlook why or how the combat is supposed to be challenging, the only home game BI ive run is Joppa, but even then I took a significant number of Fate points from my players.

Your goal as a Chronicler is to figure out how to challenge players with the mod. We should probably start a discussion on just that topic, but when prepping you find an encounter that dosen't seem challenging, post about it on the spoilers board, that's what its there for.


It wasn't meant to be a direct reflection on challenge more a comment upon how encounters that some groups find challenging can be a cake walk for others depending upon composition and approaches and as such how fate usage can vary between groups.

Fate usage does also depend upon what the players are willing to accept- are they happy to miss with that attack, to take the hit and full damage etc. Generally my players run with the premise of 'let the dice fall where they may' and accept it.

It would be good to have a challenge section to discuss such other side discussions. Although even with prep no plan survives contact with the enemy as some famous guy once said.


Top
Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Fate Point Cap
PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2013 12:00 pm 

Joined: Sun Nov 24, 2013 9:12 pm
Posts: 609
mininin wrote:
mith wrote:
I have another take, that I posted in another thread:

Solve all the Fate Point issues at the same time. What are those issues, you ask? Things like: some GMs being more generous/stingy than others; players 'banking' them and/or 'hesitant' to spend them, players having X points but can only spend X/3 per module, etc.

For the shared campaign, the solution is simple: every adventure all characters start with a number of Fate Points equal to their Fate Score. Points do not accumulate or carry over. No bookkeeping... No worries about GMs giving too many or not enough...


Let private home games accumulate and carry over (or not, depending on the GM).



Like +1

I do agree with this. Nice and simple.

In the last BI of the crusade arc my players spent a grand total of 1 fate point. And that was to wipe some strain even though the combat actually finished the next tick. Most of the time they don't need it or use it.


I'd like this too. In the case of double rounders you have twice your fate score or your fate score in each half. In the case of BIs three times your fate score. I know a BI is technically a double rounder, but we're there for 12 hours and trying to be murdered and I think 3x is fair.


Last edited by Deviknyte on Wed Dec 25, 2013 10:50 am, edited 1 time in total.

Top
Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Fate Point Cap
PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2013 3:43 pm 
User avatar

Joined: Thu Oct 03, 2013 8:01 am
Posts: 327
Yeah, admittedly, I kind of like the idea, too. Less bookkeeping. And judges don't have to stop and think about whether or not they've given out enough Fate points to their players. I'd vote for it.

Scott


Top
Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Fate Point Cap
PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2013 3:53 pm 

Joined: Fri Sep 27, 2013 8:36 am
Posts: 1544
I actually am in favor of this also, it makes things a lot easier in the long run, and fate cap has a lot more meaning.

I am also in favor of doing away with the "do the impossible" or in the very least limiting it to something a bit more managable

_________________
--Josh Elliott
Oswald val'Inares V, The True King of Milandir
Harvester Lord of the Eastern Fields of Iowa, and the dominions of Coralville and Dubuque


Top
Offline Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 60 posts ]  Moderators: james.zwiers, PCI Eric Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

All times are UTC - 5 hours


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group
Theme created StylerBB.net & kodeki