Last visit was: It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:30 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 60 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Post subject: Re: Fate Point Cap
PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2013 6:32 am 

acurrier wrote:
I know at the last BI I heard at least one guy bragging about dropping 20-30 fate without running out. Generally speaking though, I agree that it sounds like a non-issue.

This is easily addressed by saying "Fate Spending Caps are in place for the BI".

John

Kelb'Bakari Masalio, Dark-kin Altherian Corsair, Gentleman Archaeologist, and Wandering Bard
"The highest compliment an Altherian can pay you is to shoot you with his flintlock. It means you were worth the expense."

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2013 6:34 am 

Nierite wrote:
I recall hearing of someone with over 50 Fate points at Origins (not sure if he was there, but that is where I heard of it). This greatly affects what those players can do at Cons compared to those who had less-generous GM's.

Basically, you cannot really police GM's who give out fate, but you can limit how much a player has at any given time. This way you also encourage people to 'use 'em or lose 'em', which can make for more entertaining games.

There is still a Fate Spending Cap. Even if someone has 50 Fate, they are limited to generally 3-4 spent per adventure, which should put them on even keel with most other players at the table. If a player is running a deficit of Fate or finds themselves spending more Fate per adventure than they are getting all the time, that sounds like a local gaming group issues.

John

Kelb'Bakari Masalio, Dark-kin Altherian Corsair, Gentleman Archaeologist, and Wandering Bard
"The highest compliment an Altherian can pay you is to shoot you with his flintlock. It means you were worth the expense."

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2013 6:45 am 

I would also recommend this be based on a different number than your "lowest attribute". The "Lowest Attribute" is already a good limit on how much Fate you can spend. It makes sense from a story perspective: A hero might have a lot of fate on his side but his limitations mean he is only able to call on it a limited time.

However, a hero's "Total Fate" should be based on the things they are 'great at'. If you've taken the time to 'train' and improve yourself, Fate should more apt to smile on you. Fate helps those that help themselves.

While choices should have consequences, trust me, low attributes already have so many consequences that another one isn't really doing anything other than encouraging no one to have a low stat for any reason, which seems to go against the 'intent' of the game's attribute system of realistic heroes. If everyone has a minimum of 3 or 4 now just so they can have 3-6 more fate points, I think we will see a dilution of 'flawed' characters going forward.

John

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2013 10:06 am 

I strongly feel that removing the fate spending limit during BIs has been important for spending fate. As I have judged during the last couple of years BIs, my main character has a surplus of fate points (as I tend to be a hoarder, and have a lower fate spending cap ,3)

I take it as a point of pride that during BIs I'm really good at taking fate points away from players.

so part of the problem that we are addressing with a fate point cap is that people have too many fate points, but the flip side of the problem is that chroniclers might benefit from some official guidance on how to give those points out, every judge has their own particular style, and for the most part they are usually pretty good (and I dont think this thread would benefit from everyone's suggestion on how this should be done) but think a short guideline would be great, maybe even if it made it into the boilerplate?

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2013 9:39 am 

I guess I'm just trying to understand how this change affects anything other than BI's? And if it's the amount of fate being spent in BI's, the limit would help.

In normal adventures, with a Fate Limit, players with 20 Fate or players with 5 Fate have the same cap limit (Lowest Attribute). Assuming that GM's are giving out Fate according to guidelines set out by the books, PCI staff, and campaign GM's who frequent the boards, the only change is that players at their Cap may lose out on earned fate during an adventure.

Let's look at both current and proposed with a cap limit of 3 (for simplicity)

Current System:
Player A: Starts with 20 Fate. Spends 3 Fate in the adventure. They earn 4 (due to great RP and a tough adventure). Net: +1
Player B: Starts with 4 Fate. Spends 3 Fate in the adventure. They earn 4 (same reasons). Net: +1

Proposed System:
Player A: Starts with 9 Fate (Low Stat of 3). Spends 3 Fate in the Adventure. Earns 4 (same reasons). Net: 0 (1 Fate is 'lost')
Player B: Starts with 4 Fate. Spends 3 Fate in the Adventure. Earns 4 (same reasons). Net: +1 (under cap)

Are there really that many players out there with such low Fate due to GM's not giving them enough in every game they play to cause a potential loss of Fate for others? Is the goal just that everyone has the same amount of fate when it comes to a BI? (Eventually everyone will get to their Fate Max during adventures since it's pretty low).

If the reason is wholly in-game, that's fine and I can't really 'debate' those reasons. I'm just trying to understand the sudden change for out-of-game reasons better.

John

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2013 10:13 am 

Pretty sure PCs can spend their fate score per scene, which does change things a little. Assuming a score of 3, over three combats a PC could spend 9 fate. Add a couple fate spent on various action rolls in other scenes (Perception, Knowledge, etc) and you could easily run over the cap in a standard mod.

I agree that the cap will have the largest impact at BIs though, as you can easily drop 20-30 fate in a BI.

aka Rurik - Nol Dappan War Priest (Divine 2.3)
aka Karthik - Tultipetan Stonemason (Expert 1.4)

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2013 10:34 am 

As another note, I will most likely be implementing something similar with Hero Points in the Witch Hunter: Revelations campaign.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2013 11:08 am 

Quote:
Heroes may only spend a number of Fate Points per adventure equal to their Fate Score.
Pg 319 ARPG

Fate score is certainly per adventure not per scene (in the past there have been allowances made for multi round events)

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2013 2:08 pm 

I hope that the Fate Point cap would be considered/thought of when writing and balancing encounters then. I'm willing to spend them, but I'd prefer it not feel like a requirement to compete/succeed at an event...

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2013 2:22 pm 

Jeremy (Astroilar), do you feel that there are encounters out there that are that unbalanced (and have you went back to look at the encounter to make sure it was ran correctly)

I personally dont think that there are any encounters out there that are that over balanced, aside from the first run BI events, and those have been overbalanced intentionally to draw out fate points, but that really falls into how the judge handled that.

Offline Profile  

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 60 posts ]  Moderators: james.zwiers, PCI Eric Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next