Last visit was: It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 1:26 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Eloran Society & Arcane Magic
PostPosted: Sat Nov 16, 2013 3:43 am 

So again. I'm looking at creating a tertiary character and working my way through concepts trying to create something significantly different from my first 2 PCs. Some of the ideas that intrigue me are a little out there.

Obviously an arcane caster cannot also cast divine spells (unless its psionics ... ) but I started wondering if an Arcane character could utilize devout talents if he or she got access to them (perhaps through Sword Saint) ... or could become a Holy Champion? Obviously you can mechanically. But is it appropriate for the setting? For most of the Pantheon of Man this would probably be a no (save perhaps the temple of Sarish, which of course is a study of loopholes).

But what about elorii? Would an Arcane caster/swordsman be welcomed as a HC of Belisarda or even a member of the 12 Oaks? As I understand it, eloran society is much much more open to the use of arcane magic than its human counterparts.

What do people think?

AKA Ambassador Tukufu, man of letters, tomb raider and Master Sword Sage
. . . and Sir Szymon val'Holryn, Order of the Phoenix
Formerly Sir Jaeger val'Holryn. Weilder of the Holy Avenger: Thonanos. Gave his soul to help free King Noen

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Re: Eloran Society & Arcane Magic
PostPosted: Tue Nov 19, 2013 2:21 am 

I believe the official response to this would be: No.

The vast bulk of Divine magic for an elorii centers around Belisarda at this point. Even those who 'worship' the elemental lords draw their power from her (at least, as far as we know and are given to understand). On the other hand, Arcane magic seems to come from accumulated experience, knowledge and wisdom gained life to life, passed down from elder sorcerer to elder sorcerer. The pursuit of one seems to consume all, especially in a race so potentially long lived, and thematically story-wise we have never met an elorii who sought to excel in multiple forms of magic *despite* their age. So I would argue that, as with humans, it would not be appropriate to the setting.

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Re: Eloran Society & Arcane Magic
PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2013 9:27 pm 

I guess that's one dimension of what I'm asking. Does a talent like Smite Infidel "count" as divine magic? In the old d20 days it would almost certainly carry a "supernatural" descriptor. So maybe. At the same time I'm not very confident in that answer.

A second dimension is really a RP question about eloran society. In my mind a Templar is basically a guy (or gal) who isn't a priest but who dedicates their life to the protection of a Church/Temple. I'm not sure in this context that spending your life to master the bastard sword is really any different than spending your life to master arcane magic. Either way, you built up a skill that normally isn't what the Temple's core function is all about. And you can kick butt in combat.

In human lands the Mother Church is at best grudgingly tolerant and at worst outright prejudiced against most forms of Arcane Magic. The common opinion is that the Time of Terror is the result of wizards running amok (while technically true that sure does omit a lot). In elorran Society arcane magic doesn't have this stigma. My best guess here is that yes, there could be eloran Templars who practice elder/arcane magic ... but I'm not sure they could or should get access to devout talents.

Regardless I think the concept delves into to much of a gray area so I'm going to shelve it as a PC concept. Might enter something along these lines in the Gladiator pool...

AKA Ambassador Tukufu, man of letters, tomb raider and Master Sword Sage
. . . and Sir Szymon val'Holryn, Order of the Phoenix
Formerly Sir Jaeger val'Holryn. Weilder of the Holy Avenger: Thonanos. Gave his soul to help free King Noen

Offline Profile  

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 3 posts ]  Moderators: james.zwiers, PCI Eric, PCI_StatMonkey