Last visit was: It is currently Mon Mar 18, 2024 11:34 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 31 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: War of the Paragons story arc
PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2017 10:54 am 

Hello Michael,

Haakon_val'Ishi wrote:
Does this mean that going forward any character must be Tier 3 to play anything from Arc 3 forward?

Your question baffles me.

One can play any and all adventures from the Coming of the Destroyer arc and its many Soft Points with a 1.5 character and above.

Just as it wouldn't be optimal to have a brand new player start at Tier 3, you wouldn't throw that same player into the War of the Paragons arc, would you?

The A3 adventures will all be stated for Tier 3.0 and 3.5. I suppose no one can stop you from playing a 2.5+ character in those adventures, but I would expect the death rate to be high unless the Chronicler soft balls the adventures.

For that reason, it was decided to create the Tier 3 cert.

Henry Lopez
President
PCI

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2017 12:54 pm 

I guess I was not clear. Will there be any intro style mods to ease new players into the system? I suppose the difference between a 1.0 and 1.5 character is not that large and all things considered Into the Blessed Lands could serve as an Intro. I was concerned that retiring the low level Crusade mods might discourage a new player from jumping into the system. There's an awful lot of competition out there for new players and I want to stack the deck in our favor. :) And I would never encourage anyone to "play up" in this system Henry, I know better than that. :) And from a mechanics stand point I totally understand the desire not to do so many stat blocks. You should see the number of stat block pages we have left over from the 3.5 days..... :( A lot of trees died for that campaign.

One thing else. And perhaps this is restating the question that baffled Henry. I think what I'm trying to say is going forward will any new mods be written for people who would like play at the lower levels or is everything new going to be Tier 3 and above?

Haakon val'Ishi, Beltinian Exorcist 2.7 [Divine]
Ursula val'Holryn, Grand Master of the Tralian Hammer 2.2 [Martial]
Arun of Tultipet, Holy Champion of Neroth 1.10 [Expert]
Rikitsa val'Holryn, Psion 1.9 [Arcane]

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2017 1:14 pm 

Hello Michael,

Ah, I see what you mean.

I was thinking of having a few select Soft Points from the A1 series or possibly A2 be reclassified as Intro adventures, basically to take you from Tier 1.0 to 1.5.

As to new low level adventures, given that we have limited writers and there are complaints about not enough adventures,I don't think that would be a good use of our resources.

So assuming there are X number of Intro mods that get you to 1.5, that allows that player to then move to the A2 series. By the end of that, they should be right at Tier 3 or so, allowing them to continue forward.

If anyone has a suggestion as to which adventures to make into said Into mods, please feel free to name them in this thread.

Henry Lopez
President
PCI

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2017 1:46 pm 

PCIHenry wrote:
I was thinking of having a few select Soft Points from the A1 series or possibly A2 be reclassified as Intro adventures, basically to take you from Tier 1.0 to 1.5.

As to new low level adventures, given that we have limited writers and there are complaints about not enough adventures,I don't think that would be a good use of our resources.

So assuming there are X number of Intro mods that get you to 1.5, that allows that player to then move to the A2 series. By the end of that, they should be right at Tier 3 or so, allowing them to continue forward.

If anyone has a suggestion as to which adventures to make into said Into mods, please feel free to name them in this thread.

That actually sounds like a good plan. Let me get back to you on suggested adventures, but there are a couple that come to mind and I would like to see opinions on this:

In Darkness, Light--good for introducing the role faith and religion play in the game, plus I always thought there was some good RP opportunities in that mod.

Gleam of Fires, Throb of Drums--showcases the dangers posed by the Ssethregorans and has pretty good boss fight.

Salvage Operations--Underwater mod, deals with a certain favorite group (trying to avoid spoilers)

There's more but I need to look over the list. Take care all.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2017 1:49 pm 

@ Haakon val'Ishi - the mods Henry's asking for are from the 1st Arc, as all of the 2nd Arc mods would still be available.

For 5 mods from the A1 series I would recommend the following and in this order:

To Slip the Surly Bonds of Earth
Not My Daughter
Into the Verdant Heart
The Bramble Labrynth
In Darkness, Light

The first two are set around Mil Takara, so provide some continuity. "To Slip..." has a bit of everything as I recall in terms of RP, investigation, combat, multiple faction tie ins, etc.

Verdant Heart and Bramble provide a continuing story, not horribly far from Mil Takara and provide good challenges.

In Darkness, Light is a good RP mod that helps set the tone for moral choices.

With a sweep of his hat,

Paul

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2017 2:02 pm 

Hat wrote:
@ Haakon val'Ishi - the mods Henry's asking for are from the 1st Arc, as all of the 2nd Arc mods would still be available..

Henry said : I was thinking of having a few select Soft Points from the A1 series or possibly A2 be reclassified as Intro adventures, basically to take you from Tier 1.0 to 1.5.

Hence why I included the Arc 2 mods, which I am more familiar with having GMed those more recently. :)

It's just me but I'm not a huge fan of the Pricklespur mods.

Not My Daughter is a fun mod and a good choice.

What about Ancient Secrets Left Unspoken?

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2017 2:04 pm 

I might be willing to specifically throw my hat in to write an intro mod or two. I feel like those have been my best work anyways, so getting back into the game via that method could work well for me.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2017 2:23 pm 

Original post edited with new information.

Henry Lopez
President
PCI

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2017 9:54 pm 

After talking to a couple of people there are a few who still need some Crusade mods. We can't organize by this Sunday. Can I order the mods to set it up (before Sunday) and then play the mods when we can all assemble (with a hard cap like GAMESTORM (Portlands biggest gaming Con) or Arcaniscon)?

AKA Ambassador Tukufu, man of letters, tomb raider and Master Sword Sage
. . . and Sir Szymon val'Holryn, Order of the Phoenix
Formerly Sir Jaeger val'Holryn. Weilder of the Holy Avenger: Thonanos. Gave his soul to help free King Noen

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2017 11:11 pm 

I should point out: you may download as many adventures as you like when you create an event in thr campaign site.

Haakon Marcus val'Virdan, Divine Holy Judge of Nier
Ruma val'Vasik, Martial Crusader and Master of the Spear
Jorma Osterman, Arcane Coryani Battlemage

Offline Profile  

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 31 posts ]  Moderators: james.zwiers, PCI Eric, PCI_StatMonkey Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next