Last visit was: It is currently Mon Mar 18, 2024 9:04 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 117 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12  Next
 Post subject: Re: Campaign Related Questions
PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2015 12:50 am 

Nierite wrote:
25) The val'Ishi are known to have Khitani heritage, but it is described as a 'hint,' usually related to them having almond eyes and epicanthal folds.

This was also how I've interpreted the physical description of the val'Ishi. It contrasts, however, with the Finnish names that are common in Valentia, which is the val'Ishi homeland.

Amadi val'Abebi - Monk of Althares
Talathos - choleric Kelekene dabbler

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2015 4:07 pm 

Dante wrote:
Along these lines, I've wondered whether the ul'Wei (of Althares) have the dark brown skin common to val'Abebi and other Altherians.

My understanding is that no one knows. The ul'Wei go around fully covered. 24/7. Makes me wonder if they've got something to hide. :D maybe the val Inares aren't the only ones with some kind of "condition"

AKA Ambassador Tukufu, man of letters, tomb raider and Master Sword Sage
. . . and Sir Szymon val'Holryn, Order of the Phoenix
Formerly Sir Jaeger val'Holryn. Weilder of the Holy Avenger: Thonanos. Gave his soul to help free King Noen

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2015 4:17 pm 

I should also point out that the Cancerese val'Mordane also like covering themselves with porcelain masks and black robes. They may indeed have a 'condition', but they could also just do it for cultural reasons.

Haakon Marcus val'Virdan, Divine Holy Judge of Nier
Ruma val'Vasik, Martial Crusader and Master of the Spear
Jorma Osterman, Arcane Coryani Battlemage

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2015 5:17 pm 

My every 5-ish page update ;)

Nierite wrote:
Just re-posting all my questions that I have had about the world that haven't been answered yet in the unlikely hope I'll get answers :P

1) Are Primal casters considered hunted by the Ymandrakes? We know that Eldritch and Elder casters are--and to a much lesser extent Psions--but Primal Casters seem to be a little bit too far from the "Arcane Supermen" and more "Divine-lite" which I wouldn't think it high on the Ymandrake menu.

This is still something which even the not-Henry writers seem to struggle with and argue about at times, and it isn't consistent (that I've been able to tell) in adventures.

2) Is the city of Alieges in the Province of Balantica, Valentia, or the new Province of Nova Cormata?

The answer: Nova Cormata until Henry decides that it is not, as per "Pride Goeth Before a Fall"

3) Do the Solani Dwarves still have a presence on the border with Malfela? The Enclave moved an army down there before the Altharia-Entaris War.

I am still unsure of this point.

4) Are there any Tir Betoqi still operating out of their former Enclave or any other areas of the Western Lands?

I am still unsure of this point.

5) To what extent does the God's Wall still exist? Is it now nothing but broken, vaguely mountainous terrain, or are we still looking at a range like the Rocky Mountains here? (A Question that has come up a few times from a few sources).

From various sources and comments, it appears that the Wall of the Gods DOES still exist, but it is a broken mountain range with many passes through which you may enter and exit the Unsealed Lands to the north.

6) Do any of King Osric IV's kids manifest the val'Haupt powers? From what I hear the King Gerhardt is val'Ossan, but what about Annis, Lysa, and Willem?

I am still unsure of this point. val Holryn seems to think Willem is val'Ossan, but his nanny's desire to see him on the throne could be just because he's male.

7) We know where 3 out of the 5 Holy Pillars of Nier are found (Hunder, Erduk, and on the Isle of Ymandragore). Do we know where the other 2 are found?

According to data given to me, the five pillars are: Erduk, Hinder, Ymandragore, somewhere in the Khitani Empire, and somewhere in the Coryani Empire.

8) Do the major vassal families of the Vals also display traits similar to the Vals? Do the Otrecto's tend to breed larger, more amazonian women than the average? Are the Gracchi's blond and olive skin? Do the Balins have lots of hawkish noses?

I am still unsure about this, but there is some evidence that they have some traits. An example of this can be found in the adventure "To Die Alone", as well as the revelation (until Henry choose to counter it) that Val + Val = Human, then Human takes "vassal family" name. This would mean that yes, the Vassal families would look like their 'parent' Val except for the eyes most likely.

9) As Coryani Legions are not organized directly like Roman Legions (1000 troops in 10 Centuries of 10 Deciums of 10 instead of 6 Cohorts of 6 centuries of 80 soldiers), do they serve similar non-combat roles and specialties that a Roman legion did? Are all the soldiers expected to also be engineers, making palisades and other fortifications every night when they make camp like the Romans did (Ancient Trench Warfare ftw!)?

I am still unsure about this, but from my read of the Coryani Legions is that the Empire does not follow Roman infantry tactics beyond the most superficial sense. Instead of the Legion being a heavy infantry formation in Rome, it is simply an organizational unit like a regiment or battalion is today, with such a unit being applied to different groups (ie: tank platoon vs. Infantry platoon).

10) If a Val were to become Psionic by being Silence-Touched, would they eyes turn 'clear' as if they were awakened naturally?

Don't know if it has come up in the campaign yet.

11) We know that the Khitani and Uls have followed a more asian-style naming scheme even during the First Imperium when they were part of that world, and they were isolated from the rest of the Imperium since the events of the Blood War. Did the Khitani language and noticable difference in culture start then, or after the Dreaming of Larissa led them to the northwest corner of the continent? Speaking only from a linguistic point of view, I can't see Khitani being at all related to Altheran, but that could just be me applying our world to Arcanis where Chinese is not related to the Indo-European languages that represent the rest of the 'known languages' in the Arcanis universe.

I am still unsure about this.

12) How does the 'arcane wasting disease' affect Elorii and other long lived races? We have it in the book that it is enough of a problem that human-kin fear it, meaning arcane power can damage a person in as little as a century of use. However, we have records of Elorii and Ssanu casters who are centuries--if not millennia--old who are using magic and show no known outside effects of using their magic. Are these races less prone to the 'wasting'? Is Elder Magic 'safer' to use?

13) Do we have any in-character examples of Savosh that would be known to people of the known lands? For example, are any of the Myrantian Pheron's 'squater, with gold eyes'? How about the Priest of Aii from "Vexing Priests"? How about any of the various Death Mongers we've seen? How about the Pengik?

14) Do the Black Talons (specifically the Church of the Fire Dragon) actively hunt Ghost Scales? We have a reference in "Sharper than a Serpent's Tooth" that the Black Talons had a negative interest in the Ghost Scales, and now that we know that they exist beyond the sewers of Old Coryan they would pose more of a dogmatic threat to Black Talons.

15) Has the Milandesian orthodox Church selected a new Primarch to replace Sabinius? If so who? If not, why not?

The Answer: Yes, one was appointed after Sabinius was killed, but as they have not become immediately relevant to the story the name has not been revealed.

16) Can dwarves interbreed? Have there been any known examples of (for example) a Solani and Tir Betoqi producing an offspring? If so, who's heartstone would they have to bask in?

The Answer: Yes, and thus far has not been stated (waiting for an appropriate adventure or product to reveal).

17) In the game all Kio Heroes gain an Heirloom Kio Sword (Exceptional Quality masterpiece!). We know from fluff that Kio Swords are basically each masterpieces forged by a select few Kio Blacksmiths who remember the ancient ways of making their blades. Additionally, Kio Sword is listed as a national weapon for Kio from the Western Lands (for the sake of Weapon Training (National)), which means that it is possible to get your Hierloom Kio Sword AND a Normal-Quality Kio Sword at character creation, giving you a pair of these (though, not equally made) blades.

Thus far there has been no official answer to this question as far as I'm aware, but from my understanding and readings I believe that the Heirloom Kio Blades represent only the most storied of the Kio Blades (the Excalibur's, if you will). Normal quality Kio blades are relatively common in Kio Lands, but were not necessarily as ancient or as storied as the Great Blades.

18) We know that Kio warrior have a knightly tradition similar to (but by no means the same) as Milandir, and they have very specific names for their soldiers and officers (ie: Vyhre'ki). Are these organizations exclusive to Kio, or do they allow other humanoid races into their organizations (assuming they are subjects of the Kio)? For example, could you find a Dark-kin or Unden Khyh'it Wing Commanders?

19) How widespread are the holy books in the Arcanis universe? We know that there are such things as printing presses, and on average there seems to be at least basic literacy to be found among the common folk (not just the upper class and clergy, such as in 1500's Europe), which means that it should be possible for many people to have their own copies of the Canticle of Illiir.

19a) If these books are reasonably common, are they in a 'commoner' tongue, or exclusively in Altharin (or High Coryani)? Back in the afore mentioned time in Europe the bible was almost exclusively found in Latin which was not a commonly spoken tongue, but Martin Luther then translated it into German which WAS a common tongue which increased readership of the bible (as well as undercut the authority of the priesthood).

20) Does the Khitani written language make use of characters like in Chinese, or do they use an alphabet like (it seems) Altharin and Coryani does? If they use characters, is there a reason they changed so noticeably from the roots of Altharin?

21) Are the events (if not the details) of the Nyambe adventures still canon? To clarify, did a bunch of adventurers travel through a special gate to another continent/world and find something there of note (details can be left for a new mod to reveal)?

The Answer: Because of the dissociation of PCI from the RPGA, Nyanbe is no longer canon. That said, the storyline may very well be reworked into a more PCI-owned history in the future should the story demand it.

22) There were references to "Orc" nations both in Uggur and among those who (according to the Altherians) lead the siege of Khafre' prior to it floating to the Altherian Plateau. Were these 'orc' armies Gar, are they now humans, or something else entirely (to be revealed at a later date)? At least in the case of Uggur, I think there are a few Kio players who may be interested in knowing.

23) This is less of a universe question than possibly a player question: Were did the name "val'Sosi" come from? Was the name of that family chosen by the campaign staff, or the players who became members of that family? Is there a history or significance to the word "Sosi" within the universe?

24) How common is knowledge of the various Val families among commoners? For example, how familiar would a common-born (and likely illiterate or only functionally literate) person be with Val families which do not rule in their given area? Would a Milandisian from Sylvania have even heard of the val'Sungha or val'Baucisz? Would Coryani Nova Cormata even have seen a val'Mordane outside of maybe the local Nerothian cleric? Would an average val'Assante' even know anything about the val'Borda beyond basic family history taught to them by their parents (similar to how ancient foriegn nobles would study family trees of rival families)?

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2015 2:33 am 

I've commented on my (usually informed but unofficial) opinions on most of these questions. These topics I feel confident enough to re-comment.

4) The Tir Betoqi traveled to the Western Lands in the Shadowed Age to be guardians of humanity...but they don't operate there! They then began travelling across the bulk of the known world to serve guarding against infernal invaders at the Godswall. They never had a big presence in the League of Princes, and have never been especially "geopolitically" important there...and they and the Kio tend to avoid each other. There are reasons for all that (!) which we should finally see as a campaign whenever we eventually get the Kio book promised in the Kickstarter. Based on what I know, I feel confident that the Tir Betoqi really have nothing left to hang on to in the League once they moved their Heartstone to the Godswall. Essentially they should all be there now.

19) I've thought a lot about this. Especially since Tukufu owns a printing press and a bookstore. Based on what I know it seems both obvious that parts of the scrolls are widely know ("There are those who serve the Gods...") and parts that are concealed (or else saving the scrolls wouldn't have been an issue in the old module To Shake the Pillars of Heaven). My conclusion is that the only thing that makes sense is that only *part* of the Illuminated Scrolls and other important religious writings are widely available. Parts of it are also apparently "classified." There may be a gradation of some kind of middle ground of passages that are only shared with serious scholars.

22) Uggur is not a "human"nation...or the history of their interaction with Seremas would be different. I strongly believe that the essentially fascist "hobgoblin/orc" states past the Western Lands that casued headaches for the Kio are now essentially a branch of the Gar.

Formerly Sir Jaeger val'Holryn. Weilder of the Holy Avenger: Thonanos. Gave his soul to help free King Noen

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun Nov 01, 2015 10:46 pm 

25) When do vals begin to manifest their bloodline powers? Are they born with them, do they begin to typically manifest at some point in their life (like adolescence?), or does it require training to bring out the Val's potential like Psionics? If it is the latter, I assume that it is possible for a val to manifest their powers spontaneously like Psionics, but this would only represent a small part of the population.

Addendum: Are there any known examples of Vals growing to adulthood who cannot manifest even their Tier I powers?

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2015 3:19 am 

Nierite wrote:
25) When do vals begin to manifest their bloodline powers? Are they born with them, do they begin to typically manifest at some point in their life (like adolescence?), or does it require training to bring out the Val's potential like Psionics? If it is the latter, I assume that it is possible for a val to manifest their powers spontaneously like Psionics, but this would only represent a small part of the population.

Addendum: Are there any known examples of Vals growing to adulthood who cannot manifest even their Tier I powers?

Ohhh. That's a good one! I would guess like any other Talent vals develop it sometime between childhood and adolescence. I wouldn't believe that any vals ever grow up without at least 1 Bloodline Talent.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2015 11:51 am 

Nierite wrote:
10) If a Val were to become Psionic by being Silence-Touched, would [their] eyes turn 'clear' as if they were awakened naturally?

Don't know if it has come up in the campaign yet.

We have seen examples wherein the eyes of the "Silence-touched" do not become clear. In the Living Arcanis campaign, that was the case. We also have evidence thereof in the current campaign....

Minor spoilers ahead....

In the Legends of Arcanis campaign, there is at least one mod with such an NPC who is clearly human yet has psionic powers from a mysterious source who is almost certainly the Silence, though I'm not elaborating since this is not a spoiler thread. There is a long-term trend of where such dark, quiet forces have worked, and I wish

Amadi val'Abebi - Monk of Althares
Talathos - choleric Kelekene dabbler

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2015 12:02 pm 

Can you find a gray eyed silence touched Val in the campaign? The cited example was a human, no?

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2015 1:50 pm 

val Holryn wrote:
Nierite wrote:

Ohhh. That's a good one! I would guess like any other Talent vals develop it sometime between childhood and adolescence. I wouldn't believe that any vals ever grow up without at least 1 Bloodline Talent.

Probably true. Despite what I've seen among player-built Vals, the vast majority of the Vals of Arcanis probably grow up in contact with, and living among, their kin. As such, when they're born there are people who can recognize all their physical and metaphysical powers as they develop, guiding them towards the control they need to master them. Some Bloodline powers are probably very easy to CONTROL by the person (Ossan gills, Virdan/Emman heat vision, Borda dark vision, etc), while others would require much training to master (Dellenov claws, Inares portal attunement, Tensen increased strength), while others would be frankly terrifying and potentially psychologically damaging without support (such as Ishi ancestor calling). I can even see some 'unaffiliated' Vals, such as those raised outside of their family by groups like the Yhing Hir, even committing suicide when their powers start to manifest because such things would be terrifying and there is nobody around who can help them understand what is happening to them. They would be shunned or even killed as freaks to those who haven't encountered them before. Think about this like the X-Men or the Inhumans from Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D..

As to their original manifestation, I would generally agree that it happens sometime between birth (there was an Atria IK mod where val'Ossan are born with their gills) and adulthood, likely occuring during adolescence with their entire childhood given over to the mental training to control the powers when they manifest (Psionics-Light, if you will). If a Val doesn't manifest their powers by a certain point (if possible), I could very easily see the Family. . . disposing of the 'defective' member of the family in an effort to keep their line pure and strong. Remember: Arcanis mirrors ancient cultures more than modern and familicide was VERY common among ancient peoples for a number of reasons.

Offline Profile  

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 117 posts ]  Moderators: james.zwiers, PCI Eric, PCI_StatMonkey Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12  Next