Last visit was: It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 4:09 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 117 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 12  Next
 Post subject: Campaign Related Questions
PostPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2013 1:56 pm 

I, of course, have literally hundreds of questions I'd like Mr. Henry (Oh King of Kings) to answer, but I thought I'd make a thread to fish some of the more 'every day' questions before the PCI staff.

1) Are Primal casters considered hunted by the Ymandrakes? We know that Eldritch and Elder casters are--and to a much lesser extent Psions--but Primal Casters seem to be a little bit too far from the "Arcane Supermen" and more "Divine-lite" which I wouldn't think it high on the Ymandrake menu.

2) Is the city of Alieges in the Province of Balantica, Valentia, or the new Province of Nova Cormata?

Haakon Marcus val'Virdan, Divine Holy Judge of Nier
Ruma val'Vasik, Martial Crusader and Master of the Spear
Jorma Osterman, Arcane Coryani Battlemage

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Re: Campaign Related Questions
PostPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2013 4:17 pm 

1) Primal casters rarely/almost never get taken as I understand it. But it is my understanding of Ymandragore that yes, they do occasionally hunt down primal casters. Apparently they also sometimes grab vals and kio who aren't arcane casters. I have even heard speculation that once in awhile they even grab a divine caster or two. The wide ranging research of Ymandragore into the nature of magic (and creation, and how to attain true divinity) means that occasionally you need "weird" materials for evaluation or experimentation in certain projects. I assume (but don't truly know) that the vals and kio are grabbed for their biological connection to valinor and "true kio" powerful beings that appear to be immortal. I would guess the rare primal caster might be seized to explore the nature of spirits in general, or poach a technique* from their practices.

2) No idea. Not having a good answer to questions like this drives me a little nuts. Would really love a decent map (....whistles, crosses fingers & wishes...)

*It seems clear to me that the current configuration of arcane traditions are not the only ones that could or do exist. For example consider the Myrantian Necromancers. I don't think they were primal casters ... but necromancy is part of the primal tradition. Either there is some Myrantian story/plot equivalent to a path for Eldritch casters to gain Necromancy (like Sarishians gain access to the binding domain) OR there is a separate "style" of Myrantian magic that is as different from Eldritch as Eldritch is from Primal or Psionic. If the former, then presumably other people who are eldritch casters could poach these techniques for their own use with sufficient study. If the later its another branch on the tree of arcane magic and would need to be researched and understood in Ymandragore.

AKA Ambassador Tukufu, man of letters, tomb raider and Master Sword Sage
. . . and Sir Szymon val'Holryn, Order of the Phoenix
Formerly Sir Jaeger val'Holryn. Weilder of the Holy Avenger: Thonanos. Gave his soul to help free King Noen

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2013 4:42 pm 

Myrantians:

1) The "Deity" Tradition for them contains Necromancy Spells, similar to that of Neroth.

2) They are, indeed, Shamans: The Myrantian "Gods" being less like Illiir or Belisarda or Kassagore/Fire Dragon, and more like the crazy Nature Spirit in the Battle of Mil Takara or (arguably) the Varn. After all, Jeggal Sag was a demigod and his followers are Shamans and not priests.

Alternatively, it is as you say other 'form' of magic. After all, we know there are other sources beyond those available to the Heroes. Entropy is a good example, granting the Dissolution Tradition and uses Arcanum (Meditation).

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2013 5:31 pm 

Yeah, we don't know much about the Myrantians ... but their magical traditions are almost certainly weird.

I am sure that if Tzhihet has a deity specific spells they are bizarre and blasphemous ... but I don't think they're likely to raise the dead. In my mind I see extra limbs and/or tentacles. The Myrantians probably have true priests (Tzhihet gets listed on the table of Gods in A:RPG) but I am guessing the Myrantian Necromancers weren't Therugists. I also don't think they changed into wolves or birds either through animism so I don't think they were any normal kind of Primal Casters either. Leaves a lot of questions about what they actually were...

Formerly Sir Jaeger val'Holryn. Weilder of the Holy Avenger: Thonanos. Gave his soul to help free King Noen

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun Nov 24, 2013 5:37 pm 

More Questions:

3) Do the Solani Dwarves still have a presence on the border with Malfela? The Enclave moved an army down there before the Altharia-Entaris War.

4) Are there any Tir Betoqi still operating out of their former Enclave or any other areas of the Western Lands?

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2013 5:46 pm 

5) To what extent does the God's Wall still exist? Is it now nothing but broken, vaguely mountainous terrain, or are we still looking at a range like the Rocky Mountains here? (A Question that has come up a few times from a few sources).

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Nov 27, 2013 12:16 am 

Nierite wrote:
5) To what extent does the God's Wall still exist? Is it now nothing but broken, vaguely mountainous terrain, or are we still looking at a range like the Rocky Mountains here? (A Question that has come up a few times from a few sources).

My sense is that the Rocky Mountains are too big. I thinks it more of rocky badlands with hills more than mountains. In the d20 era characters went through it without climbing gear.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Nov 27, 2013 7:51 am 

val Holryn wrote:
Yeah, we don't know much about the Myrantians ... but their magical traditions are almost certainly weird.

I am sure that if Tzhihet has a deity specific spells they are bizarre and blasphemous ... but I don't think they're likely to raise the dead. In my mind I see extra limbs and/or tentacles. The Myrantians probably have true priests (Tzhihet gets listed on the table of Gods in A:RPG) but I am guessing the Myrantian Necromancers weren't Therugists. I also don't think they changed into wolves or birds either through animism so I don't think they were any normal kind of Primal Casters either. Leaves a lot of questions about what they actually were...

To a certain extent I think it may depend on the nature of the necromantic control. If they could continue life past death or interact with spirits in some way, then I expect they're religious or new source based. If the scope of their powers is limited to the corporeal then I think you can make a case that there's another tradition within the bounds of the Eldritch/Elder magic. To my mind Shamanism doesn't fit unless the animation of flesh was specifically tied to deals with minor powers / spirits. Even in that case it would make more sense to expect that if another power needs to be involved they'd simply go to their gods who are fully accepting of those kinds of dark traditions. It's an interesting question.

With a sweep of his...

Hat

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Nov 27, 2013 3:59 pm 

Nierite wrote:
More Questions:

3) Do the Solani Dwarves still have a presence on the border with Malfela? The Enclave moved an army down there before the Altharia-Entaris War.

4) Are there any Tir Betoqi still operating out of their former Enclave or any other areas of the Western Lands?

My understanding is yes. Solani presence helped protect Coryan's soft underbelly. No reason why they'd leave.

The Tired Betoqi to my understanding no longer have a presence in the western lands.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun Dec 01, 2013 10:40 pm 

6) Do any of King Osric IV's kids manifest the val'Haupt powers? From what I hear the King Gerhardt is val'Ossan, but what about Annis, Lysa, and Willem?

Offline Profile  

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 117 posts ]  Moderators: james.zwiers, PCI Eric, PCI_StatMonkey Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 12  Next