Last visit was: It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 5:25 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Elorii siblings
PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2016 8:01 pm 

Thinking about elorii this weekend I guess (actually I'm at the HP Lovecraft Film Festival in Portland...killing time between short movie blocks)....regardless I have trouble understanding the concept of "brotherhood" or "sisterhood" among the elorii.

In both campaigns (at a Raven Tindal an inside the Tower of Gettelus) we have examples of elorii who claim to be brothers. Is this a spiritual thing between souls that are close to each other (perhaps closer to best friends through the ages) or an actual blood relation created by common parents?

AKA Ambassador Tukufu, man of letters, tomb raider and Master Sword Sage
. . . and Sir Szymon val'Holryn, Order of the Phoenix
Formerly Sir Jaeger val'Holryn. Weilder of the Holy Avenger: Thonanos. Gave his soul to help free King Noen

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Re: Elorii siblings
PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2016 11:48 pm 

Hello Eric,

val Holryn wrote:
Is this a spiritual thing between souls that are close to each other (perhaps closer to best friends through the ages) or an actual blood relation created by common parents?

I suppose it could be both. Is there a specific example you're thinking about?

Henry Lopez
President
PCI

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Re: Elorii siblings
PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2016 3:46 am 
I use a formal hierarchy of stunning complexity:

Common culture: brother/sister.
Other culture: cousin/niece/nephew.
Shared bloodkine: kin, kinfolk.

"Cousin" is sometimes used as a mild or sarcastic slur; ie "our charming cousins from Malfea..."

I tend to assume that, given a fairly small total population and a social structure that's a mix of conventional familial ties, national loyalties, and children raised in a creche, the topic of incest among Elorii is largely ignored except where abuse of a child is concerned. When you're at best 10 million strong, directly reincarnate and all very literally "Children of Belisarda" at some point someone is going to give birth to an ancestor of theirs and it's best just not to think about it too much. Love is a gift from Belisarda, consent is everything, let's go frolic in the moonlight and worry about the rest later. Or whatever.

Same with, say, meeting a very self-assured and commanding four year old Eloran child. Being preadolescent that child is still considered immature and protected in ways common to children in societies who value children regardless of sternly she might comport herself.

"You can command armies when you grow up, young lady. For now you complete the conquest of your greens and sweep your plate of any stragglers. No retreat, no surrender, no dessert before dinner."

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 3 posts ]  Moderators: james.zwiers, PCI Eric, PCI_StatMonkey