Last visit was: It is currently Mon Mar 18, 2024 10:06 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: First City Characters
PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2016 1:14 pm 

This may have been addressed elsewhere and if so I apologize. Given there is a Khitani presence in the Blessed Lands I don't see any reason why I could not build a Khitani character from the First City. The character would have to use available/legal backgrounds etc. but otherwise I see no issue here. Is that okay or did I miss a memo somewhere?

Also would there be any issue with a Hunai character who worships the Three Sisters? There's some great back story there and it's a shame to leave it on the table...

Haakon val'Ishi, Beltinian Exorcist 2.7 [Divine]
Ursula val'Holryn, Grand Master of the Tralian Hammer 2.2 [Martial]
Arun of Tultipet, Holy Champion of Neroth 1.10 [Expert]
Rikitsa val'Holryn, Psion 1.9 [Arcane]

Last edited by Haakon_val'Ishi on Wed Aug 10, 2016 2:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Re: First Cityi Characters
PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2016 1:28 pm 

Techically there is no issues from a mechanical pov, but there is a lot of cultural issues which would get in the way. For example, how could you rationalize a Hunai Hero or worshiper of the 3 Sisters considering that they are effectively incompatable?

Haakon Marcus val'Virdan, Divine Holy Judge of Nier
Ruma val'Vasik, Martial Crusader and Master of the Spear
Jorma Osterman, Arcane Coryani Battlemage

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2016 2:03 pm 

I do not believe that there is a listing for region skills to come from Khitan ... so a true Khitani character remains out. However you could certainly build a character from the BL who has Khitani parents and who thinks of himself as Khitani & follows the Kahlindrul. That's pretty Khitani-ish...

The Hunai are "simple." In the Sea of Grass they live lives that remind me of Adam and Eve before they ate from the fruit of knowledge. They have "problems" with times and distances beyond here and now or "home" (ie. the Sea of Grass). They sometimes access unique abilities such as taking on the power of Nayal which turns a normal minion (at best) briefly into an elite or adversary level opponent at the cost of loosing their innocence. Hunai automatically know when this has happened to an individual. Their level of religious development consists of "Lyssandra Protects. Belisarda Provides." and sometimes the utterance "Nayal." In short a true Hunai is not really appropriate as a player character.

AKA Ambassador Tukufu, man of letters, tomb raider and Master Sword Sage
. . . and Sir Szymon val'Holryn, Order of the Phoenix
Formerly Sir Jaeger val'Holryn. Weilder of the Holy Avenger: Thonanos. Gave his soul to help free King Noen

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2016 2:40 pm 

val Holryn wrote:
I do not believe that there is a listing for region skills to come from Khitan ... so a true Khitani character remains out. However you could certainly build a character from the BL who has Khitani parents and who thinks of himself as Khitani & follows the Kahlindrul. That's pretty Khitani-ish...

Basically that's the concept I was aiming at. The fun comes when the character deals with a "real" Khitani...and he/she is clueless about certain things the way a child of expats can get confused when visiting the "mother country."

As for the Hunai...

I'm at work without the books but I thought Hunai from the First City were not that "simple" anymore having been exposed to civilization (both good and bad). I was thinking of a bitter ex-slave who secretly worshipped Nayal...

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2016 3:15 pm 

Haakon_val'Ishi wrote:
...snip...I'm at work without the books but I thought Hunai from the First City were not that "simple" anymore having been exposed to civilization (both good and bad). I was thinking of a bitter ex-slave who secretly worshipped Nayal...

No in Tukufu's experience they are still simple. A Hunai who has embraced Nayal (at least once) isn't really Hunai anymore. All "normal" Hunai immediately recognize that you aren't one of them anymore and shun you/don't talk to you. If you wanted to play a First City character that is a "fallen Hunai" ... I guess that isn't totally infeasible but I suspect it is still problematical.

...But I also don't really know how/if a Fallen Hunai would work as a PC or in general. I gather such falls are very rare. Its also not clear to me if "higher forces" continue to impact such a person's life.

Formerly Sir Jaeger val'Holryn. Weilder of the Holy Avenger: Thonanos. Gave his soul to help free King Noen

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Re: First City Characters
PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2016 3:41 pm 

Oh he/she would be pretty "fallen." The proverbial "I'm mad as hell and I'm not going to take it anymore!" attitude. He/she is fed up with the way his/her people have been treated and abused and sets on to make his/he mark on the world. "Nayal grants me the strength to strike down my enemies.." sort of thing. This character is all about vengeance, sort of like Drax from Guardians of the Galaxy now that I think of it...that might actually be a cool concept especially the way he talks. :)

As far as he/she is concerned there is no more turning the other cheek. And the other Hunai...well they're a bunch of weaklings too afraid to defend themselves.

Not sure if all this fits the canon but it's what I'm brainstorming at the moment. :)

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2016 6:09 pm 

There is actually a player who was at the Vault ArcaniCon who played a "Khitani" val'Mehan from Censure (Hsing-wu val'Mehan?), with the back story that they were born of a val'Mehan and a Zhuan scion. This is perfectly fine as they made a Censure who simply was partially ethnically Khitani (but not directly in the culture and following the Mother Church).

The same is valid for the Khitani of the First City, but they are more in touch with their culture. Because of the differences between the Kalindruhl and the "southern" churches I don't think you could practically make a Priest of the Kalindruhl from the First City, but so long as you make a human non-divine spell caster I see no mechanical reason why that wouldn't work.

Haakon Marcus val'Virdan, Divine Holy Judge of Nier
Ruma val'Vasik, Martial Crusader and Master of the Spear
Jorma Osterman, Arcane Coryani Battlemage

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2016 6:34 pm 

I agree priests would be difficult.

We know a fair bit about the "slaughter" priests of Nier, the "idiot" priests of Illiir & the "defend the worthy" aspects of the Temple of Hurrian. Their cants are the same as far as I know, but they all definitely have different spins than their southern cousins. Presumably there are differences in the other Temples as well.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2016 4:36 pm 

Hello Michael,

As many have already answered, you can make a "Khitani" character that was born and raised in Khitan, but he/she wouldn't truly be a Khitani character, as the rules for the things like favored weapons, culture and religion haven't been developed yet.

As for the Hunai, I would say no. Obviously, no one can stop you from saying that your character is a Hunai, but they are a surprisingly nuanced people. Your statement, "And the other Hunai...well they're a bunch of weaklings too afraid to defend themselves," tells me that there hasn't been enough development of the culture for it to be playable at the moment.

So no, sorry - Hunai are off limits for now.

Henry Lopez
President
PCI

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2016 5:13 pm 

PCIHenry wrote:
Hello Michael,

As many have already answered, you can make a "Khitani" character that was born and raised in Khitan, but he/she wouldn't truly be a Khitani character, as the rules for the things like favored weapons, culture and religion haven't been developed yet.

As for the Hunai, I would say no. Obviously, no one can stop you from saying that your character is a Hunai, but they are a surprisingly nuanced people. Your statement, "And the other Hunai...well they're a bunch of weaklings too afraid to defend themselves," tells me that there hasn't been enough development of the culture for it to be playable at the moment.

So no, sorry - Hunai are off limits for now.

To be clear I understand the character would not be truly Khitani. The character (from the First City) would be Khitani-flavored (possibly even of mixed ethnic heritage if that's possible). Right now I have an image which is inspiring me to play with character concepts. She's clearly of Khitani ancestry and wears Khitani style armor (i.e. Chinese--and I realize the Khitani will incorporate additional real-world influences, I just really like the image :-)) So I'm trying to see what I can come up with within the scope of allowable material. That's all. I've got plenty of fun characters at the moment and in no rush to start another one. Although repeating crossbows are really cool.... :o :shock: :twisted:

As for the Hunai, I would agree they do need more development, to be honest I'm actually more interested in the religion of the Three Sisters itself. For some reason I find it more fascinating than the Kalindruhl...the caste system of the religion (and Khitani society in general) I find a bit off-putting...too much American in me I guess. :)

Thanks to everyone for their comments and suggestion, it's all good. :)

Now what's up with this Destroyer dude? ;)

Offline Profile  

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 17 posts ]  Moderators: james.zwiers, PCI Eric, PCI_StatMonkey Go to page 1, 2  Next