Last visit was: It is currently Wed Apr 25, 2018 11:36 am


All times are UTC - 5 hours




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 17 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
Author Message
 Post subject: Re: First City Characters
PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2016 8:52 am 
User avatar

Joined: Wed Oct 23, 2013 11:34 am
Posts: 960
Location: Southwestern Ohio
I thought I would explain where I got the idea for the Hunai character. In the Blessed Lands book on page 195 there is a section on the Three Sisters Religion and the Hunai. If you read the last paragraph it notes that there are those who do worship Nayal. Yes they are considered pariahs and basically thrown out of the tribe. It goes on to say that some of these shunned Hunai are sold to the arena. Hence my idea for a bitter Hunai Former Gladiator. As far as I can tell a viable if extreme character and certainly no worse than some of the crazy stuff I've seen at tables over the years. Of course I accept Henry's NO answer, but I just wanted people to understand where I got the idea in the first place.

As for the 'weaklings' comment I can imagine that someone who experience the tender touch of Chauni slavers and turned to the worship of Nayal for strength would make such a comment. But that's my opinion, others may differ. :)

Actually it might be interesting to take this character (all bitter ex gladiator and all that) have him or her be rescued by a member of the Silver Chalice and have him change his ways and join that secret society. Who better to free slaves than an ex-slave... What do people think of that idea?
Maybe the character goes from the worship of Nayal to that of Hurrian?

_________________
Michael T. Hebert

Haakon val'Ishi, Beltinian Exorcist 2.7 [Divine]
Ursula val'Holryn, Grand Master of the Tralian Hammer 2.2 [Martial]
Arun of Tultipet, Holy Champion of Neroth 1.10 [Expert]
Rikitsa val'Holryn, Psion 1.9 [Arcane]


Top
Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: First City Characters
PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2016 9:10 pm 

Joined: Sun Oct 09, 2016 3:31 pm
Posts: 69
Location: U.S.A. Ohio
So, i'm slowly reading through the lore in the A:Shattered Kingdoms book, as I attempt to gather a understanding of the various bits of major lore, locations and peoples.. but I have to ask.

Why do Coryani and Kithani dislike each other? I know they have gone to war, thought not entirely sure why except it was over ownership of the First City, publicly. I know of the truce that stands and has held for a long time in relation to the first city. Is this all because of the sleeping emperor? I mean that guys a Valinor isn't he? So why hate them for listening to him, lol!

Or do they have churches that have direct and open contradictions in relation to both Milandisian and Coryani Mother Church branches of the pantheon of man gods? I mean.. they are humans, and presumably have faced many of the same hardships and horrors the games world throws at its various inhabitants, is there no common ground between these two peoples to one day lead to some kind of true peace, and not just a "Truce for now"?

I mean.. this world has FREAKING DEMONS! lol if for no other reason than that, there seems to be potential for a true peace.

_________________
Ryan Ramsey
Lo Gorie- Dark-Kin Barbarian 1 & Fighter 3. FL: Legio Anguis Reptatus.
Savic No Taste- Ghost Scale 1.4 Expert, Exile, Assassin Initiate, Weirdo.


Top
Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: First City Characters
PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2016 10:01 pm 
User avatar

Joined: Fri Sep 27, 2013 10:47 am
Posts: 2399
Location: Central Alberta
RexSplode wrote:
So, i'm slowly reading through the lore in the A:Shattered Kingdoms book, as I attempt to gather a understanding of the various bits of major lore, locations and peoples.. but I have to ask.

Why do Coryani and Kithani dislike each other? I know they have gone to war, thought not entirely sure why except it was over ownership of the First City, publicly. I know of the truce that stands and has held for a long time in relation to the first city. Is this all because of the sleeping emperor? I mean that guys a Valinor isn't he? So why hate them for listening to him, lol!

Or do they have churches that have direct and open contradictions in relation to both Milandisian and Coryani Mother Church branches of the pantheon of man gods? I mean.. they are humans, and presumably have faced many of the same hardships and horrors the games world throws at its various inhabitants, is there no common ground between these two peoples to one day lead to some kind of true peace, and not just a "Truce for now"?

I mean.. this world has FREAKING DEMONS! lol if for no other reason than that, there seems to be potential for a true peace.



. . . yes?

1) The Coryani and the Khitani are both powerful military powers, the dominant powers in their respective spheres of influence. As the old saying goes: "When all you have is a hammer, every problem begins to look like a nail."

2) The theology of the Kalindruhl (the Khitani Church) is based on a holy book (the Kalindruhl) given to them by the Dreaming of Larissa, the being (not 100% sure it is a Valinor, just very sure) which led the Khitani people from the First City into the lands beyond the Fervidus Hills. This allowed them to escape the troubles which beset the rest of the Imperium, which eventually dissolved into the Shadowed Age. The Khitani, however, maintained stability.

I should also point out that there is a lot of aspects of Khitani worship which is not shared by the Coryani. They do not worship Anshar or any aspect, even to the point of shunning the Portals. They reject aspects of the Gods, such as the ul'Zheng refusing to venerate Hurrian as the Storm Lord. This is based on their Valinoric (we think) Sleeping Emperor, who despite going years or decades without any signs of life, is still a living embodiment of their faith and veneration, something they can touch and see. If you have a living god near you who you know you are that being's chosen people, why would you treat non-chosen people as equals?

3) How often do Infernals attack? How often are gar raiding outlying areas? While there are true monsters in Arcanis, the majority of the slights and offenses people will see are caused by normal humans. Because of this, it is easy to almost discount these intermittent horrors as 'acts of god(s)', and focus on the immediate threat. Hell, look at the Song of Ice and Fire books: They are about to be beset by literal SNOW MONSTERS, but they are more interested in petty squabbles and their own civil wars. Why? Because the snow monsters are far away, but this lesser threat is immediate and easy to understand.

4) The First City is, without a doubt, the single most holy site for almost EVERYONE. The ssethrics, the elorii, and all the factions who venerate the Pantheon of Man all view it as basically the Home of the Gods, or at least that their Gods granted it to them as a gift. As such, even though it is a hell hole compared to Savona or Khitan (presumably), the symbolism of it is enough to spur hearts. Look at the fervor that was kicked up in the Crusades over a symbol and the hearsay evidence of injustice.

_________________
Cody Bergman
Legends of Arcanis Campaign Staff
Initial Author Contact/Adventure Vetting

Haakon Marcus val'Virdan, Divine Holy Judge of Nier
Ruma val'Vasik, Martial Crusader and Master of the Spear
Jorma Osterman, Arcane Coryani Battlemage


Top
Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: First City Characters
PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2016 6:40 pm 

Joined: Sun Oct 09, 2016 3:31 pm
Posts: 69
Location: U.S.A. Ohio
Nierite wrote:
. . . yes?

1) The Coryani and the Khitani are both powerful military powers, the dominant powers in their respective spheres of influence. As the old saying goes: "When all you have is a hammer, every problem begins to look like a nail."


I suppose i can see why both empires stand against each other then to a certain degree. they are both powerful factions that want some of the same lands and think the other is not worthy of that land for one or more reasons.

Nierite wrote:
2) The theology of the Kalindruhl (the Khitani Church) is based on a holy book (the Kalindruhl) given to them by the Dreaming of Larissa, the being (not 100% sure it is a Valinor, just very sure) which led the Khitani people from the First City into the lands beyond the Fervidus Hills. This allowed them to escape the troubles which beset the rest of the Imperium, which eventually dissolved into the Shadowed Age. The Khitani, however, maintained stability.

I should also point out that there is a lot of aspects of Khitani worship which is not shared by the Coryani. They do not worship Anshar or any aspect, even to the point of shunning the Portals. They reject aspects of the Gods, such as the ul'Zheng refusing to venerate Hurrian as the Storm Lord. This is based on their Valinoric (we think) Sleeping Emperor, who despite going years or decades without any signs of life, is still a living embodiment of their faith and veneration, something they can touch and see. If you have a living god near you who you know you are that being's chosen people, why would you treat non-chosen people as equals?


I can see where your coming from with that. Especially seeing as Coryani and Milandir are both constantly squabbling with each other, not to mention Canceri. Those three nations all fight each other over various differences in opinions about their original bible. While the Khitani are solidified around their single religious view point and having the sleeping emperor.

Two things to add to this.
1. Who actually runs the empire, not him if he is asleep.
2. For my ghost scale, this is a excellent reason to be even more devout in his worship of Herka. As his clutch has a physical embodiment also, for their god. Hadn't thought of that.

Nierite wrote:
3) How often do Infernals attack? How often are gar raiding outlying areas? While there are true monsters in Arcanis, the majority of the slights and offenses people will see are caused by normal humans. Because of this, it is easy to almost discount these intermittent horrors as 'acts of god(s)', and focus on the immediate threat. Hell, look at the Song of Ice and Fire books: They are about to be beset by literal SNOW MONSTERS, but they are more interested in petty squabbles and their own civil wars. Why? Because the snow monsters are far away, but this lesser threat is immediate and easy to understand.


lol, i've yelled that at the screen a few times when the show focuses on kingslanding and its politics. Its a good example, so yeah i see your point here. Infernals are terrible but they are largely a problem for the people that live near the godswall and the sealed lands. Everybody else only sees them on small occasions. Adleast as far as we know.

Nierite wrote:
4) The First City is, without a doubt, the single most holy site for almost EVERYONE. The ssethrics, the elorii, and all the factions who venerate the Pantheon of Man all view it as basically the Home of the Gods, or at least that their Gods granted it to them as a gift. As such, even though it is a hell hole compared to Savona or Khitan (presumably), the symbolism of it is enough to spur hearts. Look at the fervor that was kicked up in the Crusades over a symbol and the hearsay evidence of injustice.


Yeah I get the whole, Holy Land, stand point for why people wish to live there. So the city.. was once owned by some Insectoids correct? Then the Ssethrics took it, then the Elorii took it, and then the humans "Gods" took it. After reading some things here and in the books.. Umar got to this continent first, and the Elorii say he/it and his servants looked like angelic beings with some humans right? So this stirs endless questions in my mind.

1. How many of the pantheon of man gods have physically manifested themselves on the world, and this continent? How do we know for a fact that all the pantheon of man gods, are even human in appearance? Illir for sure as he seems to be human 100%, or Valinar in appearance if he takes a form. I recall a post mentioning that Sarish however has never, even before humans came to this continent, revealed himself/itself. I mean.. isn't it very possible the "human gods" are just outright lying to their followers?

2. I know some possible spoilers.. for certain gods from mods I played in 3.5 days and also from table talk here and there. I'd add a spoiler to this tag, but i dont know how to add them, so people that don't want spoilers don't see it. You know, click to open spoiler of whatever.

3. The original owners of the First City, were they the Il'haun? or did they become them after fleeing from the ssethric invaders?

_________________
Ryan Ramsey
Lo Gorie- Dark-Kin Barbarian 1 & Fighter 3. FL: Legio Anguis Reptatus.
Savic No Taste- Ghost Scale 1.4 Expert, Exile, Assassin Initiate, Weirdo.


Top
Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: First City Characters
PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2016 6:57 pm 

Joined: Fri Sep 27, 2013 12:08 am
Posts: 1259
Ryan,

I recommend picking up Cradle of Empires book as that will give you some answers and insights into your questions.

You can purchase the PDF here: http://www.rpgnow.com/product/174536/Ar ... Sourcebook

_________________
Best,

Henry Lopez
President
PCI


Top
Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: First City Characters
PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2016 8:51 pm 

Joined: Sun Oct 09, 2016 3:31 pm
Posts: 69
Location: U.S.A. Ohio
PCIHenry wrote:
Ryan,

I recommend picking up Cradle of Empires book as that will give you some answers and insights into your questions.

You can purchase the PDF here: http://www.rpgnow.com/product/174536/Ar ... Sourcebook


$20 is a nice price for the blessed lands book. It will have to wait till next week, though, when I have the cash. I do want it though!

_________________
Ryan Ramsey
Lo Gorie- Dark-Kin Barbarian 1 & Fighter 3. FL: Legio Anguis Reptatus.
Savic No Taste- Ghost Scale 1.4 Expert, Exile, Assassin Initiate, Weirdo.


Top
Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: First City Characters
PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2016 7:34 pm 

Joined: Sun Oct 09, 2016 3:31 pm
Posts: 69
Location: U.S.A. Ohio
RexSplode wrote:
PCIHenry wrote:
Ryan,

I recommend picking up Cradle of Empires book as that will give you some answers and insights into your questions.

You can purchase the PDF here: http://www.rpgnow.com/product/174536/Ar ... Sourcebook


$20 is a nice price for the blessed lands book. It will have to wait till next week, though, when I have the cash. I do want it though!


Alright, so i had more money than I thought, for once. Bought the Blessed Lands and Sorcerours Pacts pdf's. If you give me a coupon code for another book, next week I'll buy that to! lol

_________________
Ryan Ramsey
Lo Gorie- Dark-Kin Barbarian 1 & Fighter 3. FL: Legio Anguis Reptatus.
Savic No Taste- Ghost Scale 1.4 Expert, Exile, Assassin Initiate, Weirdo.


Top
Offline Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 17 posts ]  Moderators: james.zwiers, PCI Eric, PCI_StatMonkey Go to page Previous  1, 2

All times are UTC - 5 hours


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
cron
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group
Theme created StylerBB.net & kodeki