Last visit was: It is currently Sun Jul 15, 2018 1:45 pm


All times are UTC - 5 hours




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 16 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
Author Message
 Post subject: Ss'ressen and Legionnaire
PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2016 6:27 pm 
User avatar

Joined: Mon Nov 18, 2013 3:40 pm
Posts: 67
Location: Melbourne, Australia
I have a player who is interested in playing a Legionnaire who is Ss'ressen. When i look in the CoH I see that Ghost Scale Ss'ressen can have nationality as Abessios, Almeric, Corynai Empire or Milandir and in the ARG, the Former Legionnaire Background lists the Nationality as Coryani Empire. There are no other requirements.

Still, from a story perspective I really doubt this combination of Ghost Scale Ss'ressen and Former Legionnaire. I told the player I didn't think it was a reasonable combination. The Ghost Scale seem to me to be fringe dwellers and are described as being seen as mercenaries. I doubt that a Former Legionnaire Background is likely.

While I can see that by the letter of the rules it looks legal, I just wondered what people thought of this from story perspective? Have there been Ghost Scales in the Legions?

_________________
John Deague

Hattar Tantoros di Caligo Dark-kin - Horned Templar of Cadic
Ruggiero val'Assante Val - Young Savonan Fostered Noble
Ershan Yagmir Human - Cursed Hurkomir Nomad
Turbulus Normaven Gnome - Plump Ansharan Vagabond


Top
Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Ss'ressen and Legionnaire
PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2016 7:18 pm 

Joined: Fri Sep 27, 2013 12:08 am
Posts: 1273
Hello John,

I would agree with your analysis. There have never been any ss'ressen in the Coryani legions to my knowedge. The Ghost Scales have the Coryani nationality only because that is where the bulk of them are located. Due to the constraints of the game, they need to have a nationality. I suppose we could ahve created a "Nationality: Ghost Scale egg clutch" but there was only so many pages in the Codex of Heroes.

I suppose we could add that "nationality" in the Ssethregore book and have it supercede what is in the Codex of Heroes.

Thank you for bringing this ommission to my attention.

_________________
Best,

Henry Lopez
President
PCI


Top
Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Ss'ressen and Legionnaire
PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2016 8:08 pm 
User avatar

Joined: Fri Sep 27, 2013 1:06 am
Posts: 1789
Location: Portland OR
There was a similiar argument that came up years ago with the Ghost Scales and Royal Marines in Milandir (which again Ghost Scales can qualify for if they choose the Milandesian nationality). I don't remember the exact outcome but I think the general consensus was that it was a questionable to inappropriate choice even though it seemed legal as written.

I personally am unclear what the relationship is between the Ghost Scales & the rest of the World. The last module to deal with them in the old campaign suggested they were merging with the fiends beyond the gods wall. That seems to have been hand waved away/removed from continuity. But it also leaves a big question about what the GS have been up to in the last 50 years and how they have made the leap from "Monsters" that ate people to mercenaries who are accepted(ish) in polite society.

I have hopes Ssethregore will address this in some detail.

_________________
Eric Gorman

AKA Ambassador Tukufu, man of letters, tomb raider and Master Sword Sage
. . . and Sir Szymon val'Holryn, Order of the Phoenix
Formerly Sir Jaeger val'Holryn. Weilder of the Holy Avenger: Thonanos. Gave his soul to help free King Noen


Top
Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Ss'ressen and Legionnaire
PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2016 8:22 pm 

Joined: Fri Sep 27, 2013 12:08 am
Posts: 1273
val Holryn wrote:
I have hopes Ssethregore will address this in some detail.


I'll do my best.

_________________
Best,

Henry Lopez
President
PCI


Top
Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Ss'ressen and Legionnaire
PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2016 10:13 pm 
User avatar

Joined: Mon Nov 18, 2013 3:40 pm
Posts: 67
Location: Melbourne, Australia
Thanks Henry

I'm really enjoying Arcanis at the moment. It's good to get clear perspective on things.

Taffy is doing a great job, and it's taken a while but players are getting interested.

_________________
John Deague

Hattar Tantoros di Caligo Dark-kin - Horned Templar of Cadic
Ruggiero val'Assante Val - Young Savonan Fostered Noble
Ershan Yagmir Human - Cursed Hurkomir Nomad
Turbulus Normaven Gnome - Plump Ansharan Vagabond


Top
Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Ss'ressen and Legionnaire
PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2016 11:45 pm 

Joined: Fri Sep 27, 2013 12:08 am
Posts: 1273
Fantastic, John!

Please let me know if there's anything we can do to help out.

Thank you both!

_________________
Best,

Henry Lopez
President
PCI


Top
Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Ss'ressen and Legionnaire
PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2016 8:44 pm 

Joined: Sun Oct 09, 2016 3:31 pm
Posts: 69
Location: U.S.A. Ohio
val Holryn wrote:
There was a similiar argument that came up years ago with the Ghost Scales and Royal Marines in Milandir (which again Ghost Scales can qualify for if they choose the Milandesian nationality). I don't remember the exact outcome but I think the general consensus was that it was a questionable to inappropriate choice even though it seemed legal as written.

I personally am unclear what the relationship is between the Ghost Scales & the rest of the World. The last module to deal with them in the old campaign suggested they were merging with the fiends beyond the gods wall. That seems to have been hand waved away/removed from continuity. But it also leaves a big question about what the GS have been up to in the last 50 years and how they have made the leap from "Monsters" that ate people to mercenaries who are accepted(ish) in polite society.

I have hopes Ssethregore will address this in some detail.


I'm curious about how they went from the monsters that I remember stalking about in the mist during Carnival of Swords to a playable race that has a interesting backstory. I feel from a game mechanics perspective the staff maybe felt limiting pcs to only the black talons would be to much? I'm enjoying my Ghost Scale thus far.

If I had any criticism at all, it would be the lack of more concrete information as to their social structure within the egg clutch and then how their clutch relates to black talons and ashen hide, as each one considers the other two to be a heretic I think, of some kind? I'm also hoping the ssethregore book covers some of this information.

Also I realize this is somewhat off topic, but ah.. well Lets just say I've played a mod in the 3.5 days that made my black talon become a disciple of the Jeggal sag simply to try and escape his ultimate fate.

So.. the whole thing about the ashen hide splitting of because they didn't believe in the fire dragon.. has this whole thing gone public or am I skimming on spoiler territory here? Cause the Ghost scale work up that I've read in the Heroes codex, doesn't mention they don't think the Fire Dragon is real. It simply states they lost faith in the migration effort, under its ( at that time) current leadership and left with their "local" brethren in search of a closer heat source to call home.

Also, if your a female ghost scale and want to take the divine caster path.. there is no notation for Herka at all that I can find, as to what she/he/it/they provide compared to other gods in the various pantheons. Is this some sort of.. discrimination against my ghost scales god, "Herka The Rock Johnson"? If so.. color me impressed! lol.

_________________
Ryan Ramsey
Lo Gorie- Dark-Kin Barbarian 1 & Fighter 3. FL: Legio Anguis Reptatus.
Savic No Taste- Ghost Scale 1.4 Expert, Exile, Assassin Initiate, Weirdo.


Top
Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Ss'ressen and Legionnaire
PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2016 10:21 pm 
User avatar

Joined: Wed Nov 06, 2013 7:06 am
Posts: 853
Ghost Scales cannot take Divine Casting at all (see Errata). Their 'deity' does not grant any divine power.

_________________
LARG; Astra Tonsoria Ursula val¤Dellanov, Martial Former Tribune, Sword Sage II, T2.4
LA:5E; Barbara Duran-Dellanov, Former Tribune, Fighter 1
LRC:OP; Seraphina "Flowerchild" Amakiir, Skill Hero


Top
Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Ss'ressen and Legionnaire
PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2016 10:26 pm 
User avatar

Joined: Fri Sep 27, 2013 10:47 am
Posts: 2410
Location: Central Alberta
RexSplode wrote:
So.. the whole thing about the ashen hide splitting of because they didn't believe in the fire dragon.. has this whole thing gone public or am I skimming on spoiler territory here? Cause the Ghost scale work up that I've read in the Heroes codex, doesn't mention they don't think the Fire Dragon is real. It simply states they lost faith in the migration effort, under its ( at that time) current leadership and left with their "local" brethren in search of a closer heat source to call home.


According to the story which has been told in present documents, a priestess of the Fire Dragon learned that the Fire Dragon was, in fact, Kassegore. As she had been raised to think that Kassegore is all things evil, to find out she is worshiping their equivalent of the devil was too much for her and she left. She later found solace in the "true fire dragon" as an aspect of Nier, and her followers became allies of the Cancerese val'Virdan family.


Quote:
Also, if your a female ghost scale and want to take the divine caster path.. there is no notation for Herka at all that I can find, as to what she/he/it/they provide compared to other gods in the various pantheons. Is this some sort of.. discrimination against my ghost scales god, "Herka The Rock Johnson"? If so.. color me impressed! lol.


While Herka is worshiped, Herka is not a god. As such, you cannot become a divine caster of Herka.

For a bit of context on this, it would be like saying that you worship your copy of the Lord of the Rings. While you may have found great truth in that book, it is just that: a book. Probably more accurately, it would be like you worshiping your PC since the PC has a chance to be artificially intelligent.

_________________
Cody Bergman
Legends of Arcanis Campaign Staff
Initial Author Contact/Adventure Vetting

Haakon Marcus val'Virdan, Divine Holy Judge of Nier
Ruma val'Vasik, Martial Crusader and Master of the Spear
Jorma Osterman, Arcane Coryani Battlemage


Top
Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Ss'ressen and Legionnaire
PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2016 12:43 am 

Joined: Sun Oct 09, 2016 3:31 pm
Posts: 69
Location: U.S.A. Ohio
Southernskies wrote:
Ghost Scales cannot take Divine Casting at all (see Errata). Their 'deity' does not grant any divine power.

Sorry, didn't check the errata! I'll take a look at it tomorrow.

Nierite wrote:

According to the story which has been told in present documents, a priestess of the Fire Dragon learned that the Fire Dragon was, in fact, Kassegore. As she had been raised to think that Kassegore is all things evil, to find out she is worshiping their equivalent of the devil was too much for her and she left. She later found solace in the "true fire dragon" as an aspect of Nier, and her followers became allies of the Cancerese val'Virdan family.


While Herka is worshiped, Herka is not a god. As such, you cannot become a divine caster of Herka.

For a bit of context on this, it would be like saying that you worship your copy of the Lord of the Rings. While you may have found great truth in that book, it is just that: a book. Probably more accurately, it would be like you worshiping your PC since the PC has a chance to be artificially intelligent.


Alright, so the Ghost Scale worship it, while acknowledging it is not a god? Does it "talk" to them? Or is this something to later be expanded on? What sort of... cultural identity does this create for the Ghost Scale? Do they view themselves as firmly, beneath the other clutches gods? As each is worshiping something that gives them divine magic?

_________________
Ryan Ramsey
Lo Gorie- Dark-Kin Barbarian 1 & Fighter 3. FL: Legio Anguis Reptatus.
Savic No Taste- Ghost Scale 1.4 Expert, Exile, Assassin Initiate, Weirdo.


Top
Offline Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 16 posts ]  Moderators: james.zwiers, PCI Eric, PCI_StatMonkey Go to page 1, 2  Next

All times are UTC - 5 hours


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
cron
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group
Theme created StylerBB.net & kodeki