Last visit was: It is currently Mon Mar 18, 2024 9:29 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Re: Ss'ressen and Legionnaire
PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2016 3:48 am 

The Ghost Scales absolutely think Herka is a God. What follows is what i understand & what questions I have:

Out of Character: Herka is described in the old campaign as a (weird) Sarishian Artifact. It is not a Diety and thus has no Cants to teach followers. You cannot become a Priest or Templar of Herka. Or a religious themed path that grants access to divine spell casting. Objectively Herka is not a god.

In Character: Herka is the God of the Stone. If you are Ghost scale this is the center of your tribes' existence. (If you are are not a Ghost Scale your answer is probably some variation of either: "Who?" for mammals or "Hssssss!!!" for Black Talons.) ...

... Again. Subjectively all Ghost Scales know that Herka is their GOD. It grants life giving warm to the Ghost Scales. Without Herka it is my understanding that the sewers are not viable. When the Ghost Scales marched out of slavery centuries ago, Herka saved your tribe on a long march through cold and hostile lands. How much more of a miracle do you need then that? Yes yes. Other gods have a "priestly cast" of spell casting servants. ::shrug:: You have arcane casters. Probably the rank and file Ghost Scales think spells are spells. Whatever powers their priests get, Herka has made ALL of YOU all into sneaky death ninjas. Your god is awesome!

Herka certainly communicates in some way. And has had plenty of chances to say it isn't a god. All we really know about its agenda "in character" (if you have a character that would know about Ghost Scales) is that it insists all Ghost Scale eggs be incubated in its warmth. (Possibly Ghost Scale eggs reared somewhere else would not become Ghost Scales)

Big Questions we all have:
*What was Herka originally created to do? What does Herka think about its Sarishian creators? How did it end up in the sewers of Old Coryan?
*How does Herka communicate with the Ghost Scales? Does it sometimes talk? Speak through telepathy? Empathy? (Sign Language? Charades?) Does it talk to all Ghost Scales? A select few?
*Does Herka think its really a God? Or is Herka deliberately running a big con?
*What does Herka really think about the Ghost Scale Ssressen?
*What does Herka really want? Does it have an agenda? Or is it just happy having Ghost Scales to hang around with? What if anything does it tell the Ghost Scales it wants beyond the eggs to be hatched next to it?
*Did Herka cause the Ghost Scales to integrate into the wider world as mercenaries? Or is this an separate social transformation?

AKA Ambassador Tukufu, man of letters, tomb raider and Master Sword Sage
. . . and Sir Szymon val'Holryn, Order of the Phoenix
Formerly Sir Jaeger val'Holryn. Weilder of the Holy Avenger: Thonanos. Gave his soul to help free King Noen

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2016 8:17 pm 

val Holryn wrote:
The Ghost Scales absolutely think Herka is a God. What follows is what i understand & what questions I have:

Out of Character: Herka is described in the old campaign as a (weird) Sarishian Artifact. It is not a Diety and thus has no Cants to teach followers. You cannot become a Priest or Templar of Herka. Or a religious themed path that grants access to divine spell casting. Objectively Herka is not a god.

In Character: Herka is the God of the Stone. If you are Ghost scale this is the center of your tribes' existence. (If you are are not a Ghost Scale your answer is probably some variation of either: "Who?" for mammals or "Hssssss!!!" for Black Talons.) ...

Alright. So they view it as their god and savior. Its heat, its energy changing their very flesh from black talons to a new clutch entirely. Also, as was told to me in another post, seeing as they have a physical embodiment for their god. Literally able to see and touch it. I'm sure this sparks a decent amount of fervor among their religious hierarchy and the normal ghost scales.

val Holryn wrote:
... Again. Subjectively all Ghost Scales know that Herka is their GOD. It grants life giving warm to the Ghost Scales. Without Herka it is my understanding that the sewers are not viable. When the Ghost Scales marched out of slavery centuries ago, Herka saved your tribe on a long march through cold and hostile lands. How much more of a miracle do you need then that? Yes yes. Other gods have a "priestly cast" of spell casting servants. ::shrug:: You have arcane casters. Probably the rank and file Ghost Scales think spells are spells. Whatever powers their priests get, Herka has made ALL of YOU all into sneaky death ninjas. Your god is awesome!

Alright, good role play info here for if I ever have a conversation in character about such topics. How would a ghost scale view the black talon matriarchy?

I know it is publicly known that the Ashen hide split because they believe the black talons matriarchy has lied to them concerning the Fire Dragon and Kassegore.

So could my ghost scale also believe his clutch was lied to by the BT matriarchy? I feel they were lied to, much the same way the ashen hide ancestors were. They would even more so view Herka as a savior, leading them from falsehood of false friends.

Are their any living original members of the tribe that found Herka? Or has the ghost scale completely replaced them? I suspect the answer to this is unknown at this time.

So if my god has made me into a shadowy assassin along with all my brothers and sisters.. then we are infact.. DUN DUN DUN.. MURDER HOBOS! lol.. ahh finally. FINALLY I"M FREE!!! lol..

val Holryn wrote:
Herka certainly communicates in some way. And has had plenty of chances to say it isn't a god. All we really know about its agenda "in character" (if you have a character that would know about Ghost Scales) is that it insists all Ghost Scale eggs be incubated in its warmth. (Possibly Ghost Scale eggs reared somewhere else would not become Ghost Scales)

Big Questions we all have:
*What was Herka originally created to do? What does Herka think about its Sarishian creators? How did it end up in the sewers of Old Coryan?
*How does Herka communicate with the Ghost Scales? Does it sometimes talk? Speak through telepathy? Empathy? (Sign Language? Charades?) Does it talk to all Ghost Scales? A select few?
*Does Herka think its really a God? Or is Herka deliberately running a big con?
*What does Herka really think about the Ghost Scale Ssressen?
*What does Herka really want? Does it have an agenda? Or is it just happy having Ghost Scales to hang around with? What if anything does it tell the Ghost Scales it wants beyond the eggs to be hatched next to it?
*Did Herka cause the Ghost Scales to integrate into the wider world as mercenaries? Or is this an separate social transformation?

Your Big questions are also all on my list. Though like so many things in this campaign the mystery is usually fun finding out during a mod! lol, however I can only hope some of this information is covered in the Ssethregore book when it drops.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2016 8:51 pm 

The events took place something like 250-300 years ago. So they are further away in time than the American or French Revolutions are to us today. Ss'ressen, like most PCs, don't live that long. All the original Black Talons that hid in the sewers have long since passed. It's been roughly 10 generations.

It is not clear to me if the Ghost Scales know they were once part of the Black Talon Egg clutch or not. While I think it's clear that many read and write now, it's not clear to me that they did when they were eating the poor and homeless of Old Coryan. Where exactly does a tribe of sewer monsters go to get ink and paper? How do they keep any (ancient) scrolls they have from rotting in the sewer?

Does Herka care about preserving the details of their origin story? Or is it more comfortable to present it as a general myth of rescue?

I am pretty sure the Black Talon leadership is aware of the Ghost Scales origin.

AKA Ambassador Tukufu, man of letters, tomb raider and Master Sword Sage
. . . and Sir Szymon val'Holryn, Order of the Phoenix
Formerly Sir Jaeger val'Holryn. Weilder of the Holy Avenger: Thonanos. Gave his soul to help free King Noen

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2016 4:14 pm 

val Holryn wrote:
The events took place something like 250-300 years ago. So they are further away in time than the American or French Revolutions are to us today. Ss'ressen, like most PCs, don't live that long. All the original Black Talons that hid in the sewers have long since passed. It's been roughly 10 generations.

It is not clear to me if the Ghost Scales know they were once part of the Black Talon Egg clutch or not. While I think it's clear that many read and write now, it's not clear to me that they did when they were eating the poor and homeless of Old Coryan. Where exactly does a tribe of sewer monsters go to get ink and paper? How do they keep any (ancient) scrolls they have from rotting in the sewer?

Does Herka care about preserving the details of their origin story? Or is it more comfortable to present it as a general myth of rescue?

I am pretty sure the Black Talon leadership is aware of the Ghost Scales origin.

Good points. With no knowledge on how the clutch keeps its history they may indeed not know they were black talons once. As to how sewer monsters go from that to this.. well maybe the poor and homeless of Old Coryan had it coming! Lol you never know what people in that city are up to. If the GS's are a pc race now, obviously anything evil they may have done in the past has a new nice shade of morallying gray painted over it.

I've never played a mod that takes place in the sulfuric marsh, so what kind of buildings do the black talons build to house their history and other things? I presume the milandisian aided them at first with guidance on construction. Though I suppose it's possible they already knew how to build these things.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2016 4:59 pm 

Perhaps some of these questions will be answered in forthcoming supplements. . . :P ;)

Haakon Marcus val'Virdan, Divine Holy Judge of Nier
Ruma val'Vasik, Martial Crusader and Master of the Spear
Jorma Osterman, Arcane Coryani Battlemage

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2016 9:00 pm 

As I recall the Black Talons located their settlement in some old Ssethric ruins they found within the Sulfur Marsh. They may have restored Lanpeltis but did not build it. Now as to how they happened to find it...perhaps the Fire Dragon guided them there via the Matriarch or else some of them knew about it, Likely there will something about this in the new book as Cody hints at.

Haakon val'Ishi, Beltinian Exorcist 2.7 [Divine]
Ursula val'Holryn, Grand Master of the Tralian Hammer 2.2 [Martial]
Arun of Tultipet, Holy Champion of Neroth 1.10 [Expert]
Rikitsa val'Holryn, Psion 1.9 [Arcane]

Offline Profile  

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 16 posts ]  Moderators: james.zwiers, PCI Eric, PCI_StatMonkey Go to page Previous  1, 2