Last visit was: It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 9:43 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Prologue to HP 12 - The Chosen
PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2016 11:48 pm 

Hello everyone,

Below is the prologue to Hard Point 12 - The Chosen.

There aren't any spoilers for the actual adventure, so its safe to read. I've posted these two prologues to help get the tables at Origins moving quicker onto the adventure. Fellow players who didn't have a chance to read the prologue here, can read it at the table when the GM hands out Player's Handout #1.

Enjoy.

It is a beautiful, cool day in the First City. The sun shines bright in the cloudless sky as you approach the courtyard of the Golden Court. Your summons from the Tomal Khan will be delayed as a group of young Maghir warriors have formed a circle in the courtyard blocking the entrance into the Golden Court. From their angry mutterings and red painted faces, it doesn’t seem as if they’re there to celebrate.

“The perversities of this mystic the Tomal Khan has brought into our midst have gone on long enough. When he’s not tending to Nasha, he’s out seducing our women with his words and, no doubt, magic.

“Early this morning, Ghelos,” he says pointing to the young man standing bare chested in the center of the ring, “found his wife in arms of the mystic. He would have killed him then and there, but Vila, his wife, actually threw herself between them! His love for her stayed his hand, but he demanded that the white maned dog meet him in the blood circle to face Maghir justice. We await only the arrival of the Blood Guard commander and the mystic so that he may answer for his crimes.”

The warriors are incensed and looking for blood, as rumors for the last few weeks abound of Matias seducing many of the women, single or married, in the Golden Court, though this is the first time he’s been caught in flagrante.

Before too long, Kievamn and Matias, the Beltinian priest arrive in the courtyard. As commander of the Blood Guard, it is Kievamn’s duty to officiate and sanction duels involving the Maghir.

Matias appears calm and unconcerned. As he disrobes numerous scars can be plainly seen beneath a veritable shag of white hair. Any warrior will realize that the scars are from swords cuts and punctures wounds. When Matias turns to take up his sword, additional long scars covering his back can be seen. These marks are consistent with those made by severe whipping. For a priest of Beltine, Matias appears more warrior than cleric.

This conclusion is borne out as Matias makes short work of the young man facing him. Though nearly half his age, the Maghir warrior is fatigued by the time the ten-minute duel is reaching its conclusion. For his part, Matias is barely breathing heavily.

After blocking and parrying all of Ghelos’s sword strokes, Matias smiles with a wolfish grin as, with economic efficiency, he runs the warrior through the chest, instantly killing him.

The ring of Maghir warriors howl with rage and begin to draw their own weapons when Kievamn’s voice stops them in their tracks.

“This Blood Circle has ended with the spilling of Ghelos’ blood. Whatever slight or crime Matias was accused of, the Blood God has judged him to be innocent and the matter shall be spoken of no more. Any further actions against him because of this matter is an attack against Lord Sarish and will be dealt with harshly by the Blood Guard. Sheathe your blades, warriors of the Maghir - there shall be no more blood spilt today.”

Grumbling and shooting looks of pure venom at Matias, the Maghir men slowly break off in smaller groups. Clearly, the issue is not yet settled.

Having seen you looking on, Matias will call you over. By the time you reach him, the priest will have dressed and be drinking deeply from a chalice offered to him by one of his acolytes.

“I hope your previous trust in me has not been shaken by this spectacle? According to the rules of the Blood Circle, no more must be spoken of the incident, but… but I fault myself, of course. I should have not been tempted by that nubile young woman. What can I do? As the Grey Lady teaches us, the spirit is strong. The body, much less so.”

Looking at the blade used to end Ghelos, the grey priest hands it off to one of his many attendants for cleaning saying, “We have all lived many lives before this one. Some quiet and contemplative. Others full of strife and danger. What is important is the life we lead now, and now I have dedicated the rest of my life to the Grey Goddess, whom we shall all meet in the afterlife. Now if you will excuse me, I feel fatigued.”

With the crowd dispersing, you enter the audience chamber of the Golden Court, and notice a messenger standing to one side, waiting idly. Suddenly, the Tomal Khan enters followed by Isul Khan Daxio. The thin and urbane Daxio seems unusually flustered as he speaks urgently to Tomal Khan Ys. “Something must be done about this, my Khan. If this continues, it will embolden those who wish to unseat you.”

The Tomal Khan cuts him off with a quick downward swipe of his hand. Ignoring those assembled before him, he says to the guards at the door, “Bring Matias Spirit Mount here at once.”

In moments the Beltinian mystic is standing before the leader of the First City with his ever present amused, some would say smug, expression on his face.

Before Matias utter a word of greeting, the Tomal Khan launches into a heated verbal assault. “You were welcomed into this house for the great gift you gave us in bringing my wife back from Beltine’s Cauldron, priest. Yet instead of being a gracious guest, you prey upon the women of this court, twisting them about and leading even the most chaste among them into temptation. And now I am told that you killed one of the men you cuckold.

“Give me one reason why I shouldn’t have you and your grey cloaked band of miscreants banished from the First City?”

“These transgressions are, for the most part, rumors spread by those who do not understand the blessings and teachings I bring to your people. The unfortunate circumstances that led that lonely women to seek solace in my arms has more to do with Ghelos’ lack of manhood than any temptation I could have provided. But as you say, we are guests in your home. I leave my fate and those of my followers in your hands, great Tomal Khan. Banish me if you feel that is just.”

Snapping up from his throne, the Tomal Khan’s snarl leaves no doubt as to his decision, but before he can pronounce judgment, the voice of his wife, Nasha, cuts in. “If you banish good Matias and his acolytes, then you banish me as well, husband. You know I require his care to keep my soul tethered to this body. Or would you condemn me to return to that boiling cauldron, to suffer for eternity?”

The Tomal Khan falls into his chair as if struck by bodily in the chest and it is Ys, adoring husband to Nasha who speaks in barely a whisper, like the death rattle of a man taking his last breath. “No wife, I would not. As for you, priest, I would urge you to take greater care when dealing with the women of the Maghir. Not all husbands will be as easy to best as young Ghelos.”

Without another word, the Beltinian mystic leaves the chamber with Nasha trailing in his wake.

Henry Lopez
President
PCI

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Re: Prologue to HP 11 - The Chosen
PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2016 1:20 am 

Does Matias fight with a gladius?
I assume Matias has human eyes, and does not look like a val?

AKA Ambassador Tukufu, man of letters, tomb raider and Master Sword Sage
. . . and Sir Szymon val'Holryn, Order of the Phoenix
Formerly Sir Jaeger val'Holryn. Weilder of the Holy Avenger: Thonanos. Gave his soul to help free King Noen

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2016 8:17 am 

When introduced Matias was a human. He is from the Far West, so unlikely that he would fight with a Gladius.

Haakon Marcus val'Virdan, Divine Holy Judge of Nier
Ruma val'Vasik, Martial Crusader and Master of the Spear
Jorma Osterman, Arcane Coryani Battlemage

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Re: Prologue to HP 12 - The Chosen
PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2016 2:18 pm 

Good story Henry! Given my background you know I am more intrigued than most concerning this "hold" he has on Nasha. Looking forward to digging into this.

Haakon val'Ishi, Beltinian Exorcist 2.7 [Divine]
Ursula val'Holryn, Grand Master of the Tralian Hammer 2.2 [Martial]
Arun of Tultipet, Holy Champion of Neroth 1.10 [Expert]
Rikitsa val'Holryn, Psion 1.9 [Arcane]

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2016 11:39 pm 

So he has a hold on Nasha's soul? I can hear my character's words now coming back to haunt my group " ... good or bad, there is always a price to pay ..." :lol:

Echo
B-lister, Super Human, Brawler
"Bringing the noise!"

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2016 5:51 am 

Nierite wrote:
When introduced Matias was a human. He is from the Far West, so unlikely that he would fight with a Gladius.

Well he came from the West ::coughcough:: and has implied that he is born/raised/trained in the Far West. How much of that is true or not is something I'm rather interested in. He's old enough to have gotten around a bit. You are right, it would be weird if he was raised in the far off West and fights with a gladius...usually you look to the Coryani Legions for that.

...so...What kind of sword does Matias use in the duel?

Formerly Sir Jaeger val'Holryn. Weilder of the Holy Avenger: Thonanos. Gave his soul to help free King Noen

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2016 9:04 am 

Hello Eric,

val Holryn wrote:

I didn't detail what sword it was in the narrative, so since none of the GMs will be able to answer that question, I'll do so here.

Matias doesn't use a gladius, just a normal shortsword.

Interesting theory. I can say that all will be revealed by the end of Origins.

See you there!

Henry Lopez
President
PCI

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2016 11:03 am 

Thanks Henry!

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2016 2:21 pm 

PCIHenry wrote:
Hello Eric,

val Holryn wrote:

I didn't detail what sword it was in the narrative, so since none of the GMs will be able to answer that question, I'll do so here.

Matias doesn't use a gladius, just a normal shortsword.

Interesting theory. I can say that all will be revealed by the end of Origins.

See you there!

Woo Hoo!!! Story Time with Uncle Henry. :D

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2016 2:24 pm 

We're spending so much time chasing this angle it will be actually cool to find out that Matias is just what he says he is. I doubt it but it will interesting to see how it all falls out.

Offline Profile  

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 27 posts ]  Moderators: james.zwiers, PCI Eric, PCI_StatMonkey Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next