Last visit was: It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 6:45 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: What are your favorite mods in ARG and why?
PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2016 10:15 am 

All,

In an effort to provide feedback to potential authors as well as some well deserved kudos for all the hard work they put in, what mods are your favorites and more importantly why? Not looking to bash mods, looking for the best and what help them stand out. I think most of the feedback could be provided in non-spoiler terms, or at least try that as a starting point.

I'm not at a place I can check lists, so I'll post my own specifics later, but this was on my mind, so I thought I'd get people thinking.

With a sweep of his hat,

Paul

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Re: What are your favorite mods in ARG and why?
PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2016 10:55 am 

Well I do enjoy a mod where we get to righteously thump the bad guys and be all heroic. But also really enjoy the mods where we have to wrestle with a decision and all the choices are equally fraught with possible negative consequences. These moral issues are one of the things that make the campaign special to me and why I've stuck with it this long. Two of the mods that I remember most from the old campaign were Drinking Deeply from the Chalice of Midnight (great name!) and Seeds of Our Destruction.

Haakon val'Ishi, Beltinian Exorcist 2.7 [Divine]
Ursula val'Holryn, Grand Master of the Tralian Hammer 2.2 [Martial]
Arun of Tultipet, Holy Champion of Neroth 1.10 [Expert]
Rikitsa val'Holryn, Psion 1.9 [Arcane]

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2016 11:31 am 

Any mods stand out in ARG?

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2016 11:58 am 

From the old campaign I have a special love of "Whispers in the Dark" because it upset my conception of a mod so thoroughly. This doesn't mean that I don't love other adventures from the story (I like most of the hard points, the Haina IK, etc), but Whispers still stands out very clearly in my mind.

From the new campaign, I enjoyed quite a few adventures:

"Victory at Any Cost" - This is where I really started to feel like Arcanis again, as there was a moral dilemma and no 100% clear answer.

"In Darkness, Light" - Not a complicated adventure, but one which fit my character as a Zealot fairly well.

"Visions of Lives Past" - We finally get to delve into a little-explored part of the world, which with the number of Elorii players seems like it should be more well-explored.

"Once Upon a Time in Metra" - Again, delving into little-explored area of the canon and showing the world as being far darker than many view fantasy.

Haakon Marcus val'Virdan, Divine Holy Judge of Nier
Ruma val'Vasik, Martial Crusader and Master of the Spear
Jorma Osterman, Arcane Coryani Battlemage

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2016 1:48 pm 

Hat wrote:
Any mods stand out in ARG?

Hmm...In Darkness Light certainly because it offered my character a chance to really role-play the whole faith/belief thing, Elements of Faith for the contests, Hide and Seek (for a whole bunch of reasons I can talk about here ;) )...hmm can't say I've had the truly mind-opening moments yet in ARG. But I suspect Uncle Henry will provide that at this years Origins... :o :shock: :twisted:

Haakon val'Ishi, Beltinian Exorcist 2.7 [Divine]
Ursula val'Holryn, Grand Master of the Tralian Hammer 2.2 [Martial]
Arun of Tultipet, Holy Champion of Neroth 1.10 [Expert]
Rikitsa val'Holryn, Psion 1.9 [Arcane]

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2016 12:10 am 

hmmm. Never answered this.

My favorite mods invariably fall into one of two types:

(A) mods where there is a great deal of agency on the part of the PCs to resolve (or perhaps even leave alone) some crisis, emergency or issue. ... and ...
(B) mods that, after running a gauntlet of tribulations, reveal some new secret or facet of the campaign world.

In the Crusade Arc my favorite single module was probably Justice (HP 8 or 9?). Loved the on camera appearance of Osric and the Fat Coryani, the investigation (and choice of taking the gold ring) and of course Tukufu's least favorite gnome.

I think the Dark Face of War was probably my favorite of the Crusade soft points. One of the few times we were actually sent off on a patrol. And saw a lot of the dark underbelly of the Crusade.

In the Coming of the Destroyer Arc ... among the hard points its probably a tie between Visions of Lives Past & Vexing Priests. One had great revelations about the elorii and the other offered a serious choice that affected the First City (and left it for the players to make.)

Lots of contenders in the soft points too. I would probably pick As Heaven Bickers (both A & B!) But Once Upon a Time in Metra, Dance Amidst the Bones & Thief in the Library also all deserve nods for being really good too.

AKA Ambassador Tukufu, man of letters, tomb raider and Master Sword Sage
. . . and Sir Szymon val'Holryn, Order of the Phoenix
Formerly Sir Jaeger val'Holryn. Weilder of the Holy Avenger: Thonanos. Gave his soul to help free King Noen

Offline Profile  

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 6 posts ]  Moderators: james.zwiers, PCI Eric, PCI_StatMonkey