Last visit was: It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 10:10 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Re: making things harder
PostPosted: Fri Nov 15, 2013 12:04 pm 

1) The whole Rallying Cry/Minions coming back is the whole 'turning it into a grind' issue which some people are wishing to avoid. As a GM, I love doing it because I'm evil, but it can often frustrate people to no end.

2) I dislike it, if for no other reason than it adds another layer of complexity to a situation. Leadership is already a fairly powerful talent (at least for Tier 1), and I do not see why it has to become MORE powerful.

Haakon Marcus val'Virdan, Divine Holy Judge of Nier
Ruma val'Vasik, Martial Crusader and Master of the Spear
Jorma Osterman, Arcane Coryani Battlemage

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Nov 15, 2013 12:17 pm 

I don't think changing Rallying Cry as a reaction Push helps with this. It would have to be push 4 or 6 to really make it fair and then players will want to use it that way.

As for using Leadership, I've used it for cinematic effect or if I felt the characters were having too easy a time. I don't generally use it just to increase the battle duration. I've watched players' reactions enough to know that overuse of leadership or canceling their fate chip uses should be used sparingly and appropriately.

John

Kelb'Bakari Masalio, Dark-kin Altherian Corsair, Gentleman Archaeologist, and Wandering Bard
"The highest compliment an Altherian can pay you is to shoot you with his flintlock. It means you were worth the expense."

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun Nov 24, 2013 10:42 pm 

My apologies if this has already be stated in some fashion, but right now I'm too lazy to read all of the other replies...

Why do we have to make things "harder", at least mechanically? What ever happened to good old fashion puzzles or riddles within modules? I absolutely *loved* the floor puzzle in Visions. Yeah, okay, we "Delbert-ed" it in some ways, but the trial and error we went through, looking for patterns et al...FUN (in my rarely humble opinion).

I still remember my very first exposure to D&D: it was a solo adventure that was in the red box 'Basic Set' and contained a talking mouth painted on a wall. The riddle was "OTTFFSS; what is the next letter?". If you got it right, you doubled your gold-on-hand, got it wrong and it laughed at you or halved your gold or something like that.

I'd like to see more instances of making players (myself included) THINK during the modules, rather than just beefing up the mobs, or forcing us to rely on expendables (unless they're Elorii, they're always expendable), or whatever... Right now it seems, to me, that we have two types of mods: hack'n'slash or investigations-on-rails. That's a very wide net I'm casting and a lot of generalizing, I'll admit, but neither REALLY requires us to do much thinking. Even in the investigations, as long as you hit the TN, pretty much everything is laid out for you.

You could still bury hints or clues within the mod, behind TNs or roleplay, if you wanted. You could even allow the expenditure of fate points if you wanted to force it.

Speaking of fate, I know this isn't the proper place... U-Con: 4 judges, 5 modules, *3* fate points granted... And that's why I'm against the fate point cap - I can 'hold' 9 on each of my 2 characters, I spent waaay more than I earned, despite doing cool stuff (I think) and keeping the GMs entertained. As far as I'm concerned, fate points are infinitely more valuable than any other 'resource' in the game.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2013 8:00 am 

Puzzles with levers and the like (to be pulled and pushed) often appeal to players as while they could be resolved with a skill roll the players like to see what happens and feel some kind of ownership for the results; even when said results are hazardous.

Offline Profile  

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 44 posts ]  Moderators: james.zwiers, PCI Eric, PCI_StatMonkey Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5