Last visit was: It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:42 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Saluwe's favored weapon
PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2016 7:55 pm 

If this has been answered elsewhere I apologize for the post, but can someone explain why the "favored weapon" of Saluwe changed from the spear in the old game to the sickle in the new one? I get the whole druid thing, but always thought the spear was cooler. Plus Neroth gets the hand scythe (sickle). Any comment on this? Thanks in advance.

Haakon val'Ishi, Beltinian Exorcist 2.7 [Divine]
Ursula val'Holryn, Grand Master of the Tralian Hammer 2.2 [Martial]
Arun of Tultipet, Holy Champion of Neroth 1.10 [Expert]
Rikitsa val'Holryn, Psion 1.9 [Arcane]

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Re: Saluwe's favored weapon
PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2016 5:25 pm 

The Saluwean Path that lets you "create" armor and weapons also gives you a spear (which doesn't make much sense if her favored weapon is a scythe).

Eryk Bauer - Martial Awakened 1.2

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2016 5:28 pm 

Yes and no. Looking at the in-universe angle the sickle makes perfect sense for her role as the goddess of crops and nature. The spear also makes sense as the 'thorn of saluwe'' too, however. As for Neroth, the only reason he gets the Scythe is because PCI imposed medieval European views of the Grim Reaper on him, and even then they seem to be moving away from that angle with the Bearded Axe which is the preferred weapon of the Deathbringers IIRC.

Haakon Marcus val'Virdan, Divine Holy Judge of Nier
Ruma val'Vasik, Martial Crusader and Master of the Spear
Jorma Osterman, Arcane Coryani Battlemage

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2016 5:52 pm 

With the gods of Arcanis having multiple portfolios, I think it would make sense for some deities (such as Saluwe) to have multiple favoured weapons. Practically speaking, it would mean any time a character is granted Weapon Training (favoured weapon), they could choose one or the other.

aka Rurik - Nol Dappan War Priest (Divine 2.3)
aka Karthik - Tultipetan Stonemason (Expert 1.4)

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2016 5:54 pm 

I have no idea why PCI did this. It could have been a goof that crept in in the margins because someone just thought "goddess of nature....Druidic sickle, check," More likely it was a conscious decision. In D&D the spear is a viable weapon. The sickle was a back up weapon (at best). Maybe the spear was originally a second choice? I don't know, but if I had to make a wild guess I put my chip down there.

There is no real reason why a follower of Saluwe couldn't use a spear (or a sword ... or a chain whip...) as their weapon of choice. It's true that the followers of gods often use their deities weapon as there own, but IMO a follower of Saulwe using a spear looks pretty normal.

AKA Ambassador Tukufu, man of letters, tomb raider and Master Sword Sage
. . . and Sir Szymon val'Holryn, Order of the Phoenix
Formerly Sir Jaeger val'Holryn. Weilder of the Holy Avenger: Thonanos. Gave his soul to help free King Noen

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2016 6:07 pm 

Maybe it's just me but it seems very wrong for a devout follower of Saluwe to get training in scythe, use a scythe, and then suddenly need completely different proficiency and skills once they become a Verdant Defender (presumably the ultimate holy warriors of Saluwe). To me, one of three things needs to happen:
  1. Change the favored weapon of Saluwe to the spear
  2. Give followers of Saluwe a choice between Scythe and Spear
  3. Add a clause to Thorn of Saluwe that the scythe proficiency and skill counts for use of the spear granted by Thorn of Saluwe

Without one of those, it is WAY too easy to end of as a Verdant Champion who is useless. With the way Arcanis combat scaling works, if you don't have Melee (Polearm) built up from character creation then you will never be decent.

I suppose this is my one complaint with Arcanis is that it is nearly impossible to have a character grow organically because you need to plan out at least through Tier 2 (or even 3) for some Paths to actually be viable.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2016 6:32 pm 

As a specific case, it would be simpler to add "Weapon Training: Spear" (ta) to the Verdant Champion (p) benefits.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2016 6:42 pm 

Have looked at the talent demands of their spear & armor? And their end point? Mechanically the Verdant Champion has bigger issues than a "feat tax" by having to learn the spear.

AKA Ambassador Tukufu, man of letters, tomb raider and Master Sword Sage
. . . and Sir Szymon val'Holryn, Order of the Phoenix
Formerly Sir Jaeger val'Holryn. Weilder of the Holy Avenger: Thonanos. Gave his soul to help free King Noen

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2016 8:19 pm 

It's been a long time since I looked in detail at the Verdant Champion but I do remember it having issues (I had missed the scythe vs spear issue until this thread).

As far as a tax, I think needing Melee (Polearm) at a decent level is a stiffer tax than needing Weapon Training (Spear) - although, realistically, you also need Weapon Mastery (Spear) which is tiered. If both scythe and spear were either Unbalanced or Polearm, it would be much more reasonable.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2016 4:46 pm 

I thinking adding the spear as a favorite weapon would make sense.
As acurrier said the gods have multiple portfolios. Allowing a player to pick between sickle or spear should be a good idea.
Quickly looking at the list of deities, Althares could have used flintlock pistol or warhammer, Belisarda could have used quarterstaff or any bow, the Fire Dragon could have any flail or unarmed, and Larissa could have side sword or whip.

All of them are OR so you don't get both.

Offline Profile  

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 14 posts ]  Moderators: james.zwiers, PCI Eric, PCI_StatMonkey Go to page 1, 2  Next