Last visit was: It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 6:13 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: marking Slaves, since they are property
PostPosted: Sat Oct 19, 2013 10:12 pm 

Talking with one of the local GMs, She mention in Coryani some slaves were stamped with the houses crest or symbol.

What are the most common houses in Coryani?
what might be their Focus?
Is their any crest or symbols known? If so where can I find it?

Looking for a house that may have be known in to deal in something that may have lead to magically creating Darken like slaves through the use of daemon magic /blood.....

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Re: marking Slaves, since they are property
PostPosted: Sat Oct 19, 2013 10:25 pm 

I don't know the answer to that. But there are plenty of fictional works set in Rome that might offer clues. IIRC in the original movie version of Spartacus with Kirk Douglas the gladiator school did brand their slaves. Don't think that's true in the mini series. In the mystery novels by Roberts set in ancient Rome during the rise of Caeser the slave Hermes (valued and later given his freedom) is sometimes threatened by Senator Metellus with a collar with a sign to have him returned in the e went he runs away.

Dark-kin would generally not be sought or bred except maybe in Cancer I...but probably not by mainstream families there either. Still it sounds to me like you are closest to the Val Mehan family.

AKA Ambassador Tukufu, man of letters, tomb raider and Master Sword Sage
. . . and Sir Szymon val'Holryn, Order of the Phoenix
Formerly Sir Jaeger val'Holryn. Weilder of the Holy Avenger: Thonanos. Gave his soul to help free King Noen

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Oct 19, 2013 10:27 pm 

Hello,

As far as I know, I've never written that slaves are branded by a House symbol, etc.

Henry Lopez
President
PCI

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun Oct 20, 2013 12:54 am 

thank you for the responses....
Thank Henry, I won't keep looking for that information in the older books.

I am really having fun trying to play the role of an escaped slave, hiding from her master from Coryani.

So I did some research of old roman times where Coryani seems to get a lot of its influence from

Some of the More Cruel roman estates would brand their slaves like cattle on the Forehead. If the slave had escaped and returned then they would be also branded with the Roman letters FUG standing for Fugitive.After the Severe beatings if the slave was worth keeping alive. A reward would be paid for the slaves return.

So I am adding 2 Initials C and an A which would represent the House Brand (still to be made up) then the FUG below that. These letters are attempting to be hidden by a Wig.

I have also taken the additional flaw of Marked Man - For an Organization of Slave hunters would be on the hunt for her. On top of being literally .... Marked.
This is just to add to her list of disadvantages such as of Phobias.

I really enjoy that the world of Arcanis as it is based on several different historical cultures. it allows the inclusion of historical quirks beyond the original writing of the game. Grant you they may just sit as a home game flavor, it still allows use to explore beyond just the source books.

Offline Profile  

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 4 posts ]  Moderators: james.zwiers, PCI Eric, PCI_StatMonkey