Last visit was: It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 10:36 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Laerestri
PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2015 4:11 am 

Hey there. A few of us have been discussing the laerestri (which auto spell keeps insisting is "last trip") off the boards and a couple of issues have come up. I have never played an elorii character so my effective skill ranks in Arcanis Trivia is lower than normal. Can any elorii players (or campaign staff) clarify a few points?

1) When did the "Roaming" start? Most sources in the old campaign say the 700s of the Coryani Calendar. But in Codex of Heroes there is mention that they started after the 1st Crusade of Light. Which is correct? (FYI a thousand year old elorii laerestri would have just completed the first growth spurt).

2) At what point do elorii go home? I thought there was an official response from Henry that none of the laerestri had been recalled yet...but I can't find a reference to a that on this forum. Am I hallucinating or does some else remember that? In the alternative does anyone have an idea how long they serve as scouts, reporters and spies?

3) I recall a village in the SE of the Vastwood that was supposed to be the clearing house and organizational point for the elonbe laerestri. Did it ever get a name?

4) Does anyone know how much of Ethelios the Laerestri know about? I had the thought, perhaps erroneous, that those who trained to be laerestri were kept away from the Capitol and other important sights.

Thanks for any help!

AKA Ambassador Tukufu, man of letters, tomb raider and Master Sword Sage
. . . and Sir Szymon val'Holryn, Order of the Phoenix
Formerly Sir Jaeger val'Holryn. Weilder of the Holy Avenger: Thonanos. Gave his soul to help free King Noen

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Re: Laerestri
PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2015 9:02 am 

1) I would like to believe it was 700 IC ish, but that may have changed.
2) Thus far I do not believe there are any known examples of 'retired' Laerestri
3) Efesias
4) From what I've heard, only the broad strokes. The general word I've gotten is that Elorii have their minds wiped before leaving to avoid betraying secrets. This is why "Visions of Lives Past" was such a revelation.

Haakon Marcus val'Virdan, Divine Holy Judge of Nier
Ruma val'Vasik, Martial Crusader and Master of the Spear
Jorma Osterman, Arcane Coryani Battlemage

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2015 10:24 pm 

1) I prefer the calendar year 700(ish). Quron Val Dellenov...the mad Emperor & the second Coryan-Khitani War. Canceri, Milandir and Altheria calving off from the Coryani Empire. Lots of possible signs for the elorii to read in their tea leaves. Of course ... just because I like it doesn't make it official. Anyone from the campaign staff have a comment?

2) That's my understanding too. Does a 200+ year old laerestri eventually pine to be "brought in" like a Cold War spy?

3) Efesias!!! Yes I knew it had a name!

4) I'm not sure they get mind wiped. I thought they were brought up in the sticks (perhaps Efesias). Depends on how benign/ruthless you think the Coeaseli (ruling elders) are.

Formerly Sir Jaeger val'Holryn. Weilder of the Holy Avenger: Thonanos. Gave his soul to help free King Noen

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2015 11:05 pm 

To elaborate on the uncertainty of point #1:

There is an apparent discrepancy between old and new Arcanis material. To those who just play the game for the combat or with the attitude of being an observer in the story, it’s not a big deal. But for those of us who want to pay attention to solving mysteries, it’s connected to a clue.

The Codex Arcanis (2nd ed., p.186) says, “Three centuries ago [text written circa 1020] in Ethelios, the High Priest of Belisarda was visited by a vision of the Prophetess. He went to the Council of Elders, saying the first signs of the time of Prophecy had come to pass, and that the Elorii should ready themselves for the coming conflict – one upon which the fate of Arcanis would rest.” As a result of discussions, a call went out for volunteer elorii to enter the land of humans, and they became the Laerestri.

Eldest Sons (p.106) says, “As ages passed, the Elorii prepared for the war of retribution, shielded from the world outside by the power of the Elf-Mother. The priests of Belisarda, called Lifewardens, read the signs, awaiting the Elemental Gods’ return. As the days Umor spoke of approached, it was decided that greater knowledge of the world of Man and his ways was needed. To this end the Elorii set out to make contact with the race they had despised for so long.” The book later (p.110) elaborates on the discussions of each eloran nation on how to react to the signs that the time of the Prophecy was at hand: “The Cosaeli [elders] of the three Great nations held joint council, to determine the course the Elorii would take. Each would choose a different path.” The elves of Elonbe sent scouts into human lands to collect information; and the Entarans decided to open the a city to human visitors. LA-SP5-2 “Beyond the Threshold of Never” says on p.5: “In the year 755, the Elorii of Entaris opened the city of Seremas to humanity.”

The above sources seem to agree with each other on timing. It was in the 700s IC that the Laerestri first appeared as the reaction to a sign of prophecy.

The Codex of Heroes tells a different story with different timing (p.27). It relates a passionate speech made by a Malfelen around 3 IC and how the Elders of Elonbe eventually decided in reaction to send Laerestri into the world. Moreover, it elaborates on timing: “Thus far, the Laerestri have lived among the different tribes of man for almost one thousand years.”

I don’t see a way to reconcile the stories. Is it a retcon? Did the writer of the second story ignore the first version?

Why does it matter? The signs of the prophecy.

Amadi val'Abebi - Monk of Althares
Talathos - choleric Kelekene dabbler

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2015 6:01 pm 

Hello,

That is what is technically known as a mistake.

The Laerestri have only been around since the 700's I.C.

Henry Lopez
President
PCI

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2015 6:28 pm 

Awesome! Thanks for the clarification, Henry!

This is, of course, what happens when the Altherian initiates are not given proper supervision. Without the firm hand and rod of their masters, how are the Initiates supposed to perform their transcription of official histories correctly. I believe that we need to institute far more stringent methods to ensure that the proper transcriptional worship of Holy Althares and the reclaiming of His Book of the History of the Universe are in order.

Haakon Marcus val'Virdan, Divine Holy Judge of Nier
Ruma val'Vasik, Martial Crusader and Master of the Spear
Jorma Osterman, Arcane Coryani Battlemage

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2015 2:12 am 

PCIHenry wrote:
Hello,

That is what is technically known as a mistake.

The Laerestri have only been around since the 700's I.C.

LOL! Thanks for the clarification. This is what most of us thought.

Offline Profile  

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 7 posts ]  Moderators: james.zwiers, PCI Eric, PCI_StatMonkey