Last visit was: It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:04 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Yes, You too are a heretic
PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2015 6:09 pm 

As I pop on here every once in a bit, It seems to me that people really don't read messages fully and instead only lach on to parts of the message (myself included) SO I'm going to put this riught up front and say this is a work of satire, and not how I play any of my characters or recomend characters to be played.

A Heretic is somone that believes or practices something contrary to orthodox doctrine. so if you are part of the milandric church you are certainly a heretic in Coryan, so dont piss off the Inqusition when you go visit the Emperor for tea! And likewise a Coryani Mother Church priest of the 12 might be at a loss when the Sermons regarding the Fire dragon are spoken. A Priest that belongs to one of the Triumvirate of Cancerii (neroth Nier and Sarish) are still distrusted anywhere outside of cancerii, I think a priest of sarish might have trouble selling the belssings of his priesthood to anyone in Khitan (maybe not but my bets are on a fight breaking out) the Khitani and the Hainese certainly have no truck with Anshar, they think she is a snake in the grass and dont respect her priests much at all, and yet she is just fine by Coryani and Milandiric churches. Myrantians in Abessios mught worship anshar, but more likely they follow their older Gods like Tzihet (yeah I'm not gonna get that right sorry) yet I have a feeling that one is one that wont pass by the noses of the inquistion often. Never mind the aspects of the 12 that are a bit at odds with normal teachings , like the Thorned lady , and the Yarris from the Deeps.... Or the infernal cults that spring up from time to time, particularly in the unsealed lands, or the even more insidious cults like that of the 1000 eyed man....

The point of what I'm saying is that unless you live in the same town for the span of your life and worship the same gods as your neighbors, you are going to be in the minority sooner or later. Much of what makes a person a heretic is the need to perscute them, I seem to recall an almost patriarchess struck blind for striving too hard (snerk) or the current head of the mother church, I think they are (or were) female priests of Illir.

Now I think we need to get back to our plan to eradicate the elorii menace....

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Re: Yes, You too are a heretic
PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2015 8:09 pm 

Just as in the real world, who's a heretic in Arcanis depends on your point of view and your level of loyalty/obedience to your own organization. The moral conundrums that causes is one of the reasons I have stuck with this campaign (barring the Crusade, something I am working on completing now) since the days of Temptations of the Flesh and Songs that Stir the Darkest Heart. That said there is a reason for the Inquisition and sometimes they are right to do what they do. I do believe both in and out of character that their actions concerning the Cult of the Thousand Eyed Man is correct. There are dangers out there that need to be fought and despite all the gray of this world genuine evil does exist. It may be more rare than in your stereotypical fantasy campaign but it's there nonetheless.

Haakon val'Ishi, Beltinian Exorcist 2.7 [Divine]
Ursula val'Holryn, Grand Master of the Tralian Hammer 2.2 [Martial]
Arun of Tultipet, Holy Champion of Neroth 1.10 [Expert]
Rikitsa val'Holryn, Psion 1.9 [Arcane]

Offline Profile  

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 2 posts ]  Moderators: james.zwiers, PCI Eric, PCI_StatMonkey