Last visit was: It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 9:11 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Re: Holy Champion of Neroth
PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2015 7:53 pm 

Nierite wrote:
I don't think there is any major issue with the whole thing. Even if it is not common for Dwarves to be buried with all their belongings, I'm sure it happens. Hell, you could always say that it was a treasured family heirloom that you salvaged from the family's mantelpiece.

As to the saying, I'm personally not sure that is in flavour for the Dwarves, especially the Tultipetians. You may want to say that it is a family Heirloom, but the axe itself is a of First Imperium make which has simply been passed through your family for centuries. Remember: The Dwarves have only been Dwarves for around 4,000 years and aside from the Reavers (and possibly the Deneki and Corett Palasi) are not exactly likely to have such . . . Mourner philosophies. Yes, it refers to a point in the Mythological age of the Gods, but it speaks of a low point in the Pantheon where Neroth lost his cool and killed Illiir, necessitating an epic quest of Cadic to bring him back to life. Neroth later viewed this as a mistake as it released evil into the world necessitating the Deathbringers. To honour it would be a pretty noticeable slap in the face of Illiir and any who worship him. Something more akin to "Death is not the End", or "Only Death Ends Suffering" would be more in flavour.

I've been giving some thought as to the inscription and the reason it's there. We know there are many Dwarves who don't take kindly to Illiir cursing the innocent along with the guilty. Maybe my ancestor was one of those. Who knows maybe he was a Mourner in Silence agent. And if it ticks off some Illiirites well, let say that don't bother Arun too much. A lot of blood is on their hands considering their role in the Coryani Civil War. And don't even get me started on what they did to Solanos Mor. I may be Mother Church, but I don't follow its teachings blindly. Like it or not if we take the ancient texts at their word even the gods DO die. So the statement is accurate if unpalatable to some. It also alludes to the fact that in the end nothing is permanent.

To be clear I am somewhat speaking in character and not intending to insult or put down anyone else's opinions. I think the axe and the inscription makes a nice RP hook, which is the whole point of the exercise. :)

Haakon val'Ishi, Beltinian Exorcist 2.7 [Divine]
Ursula val'Holryn, Grand Master of the Tralian Hammer 2.2 [Martial]
Arun of Tultipet, Holy Champion of Neroth 1.10 [Expert]
Rikitsa val'Holryn, Psion 1.9 [Arcane]

Offline Profile  

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 21 posts ]  Moderators: james.zwiers, PCI Eric, PCI_StatMonkey Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3