Last visit was: It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 1:14 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Runes for unarmed attacks?
PostPosted: Sun Oct 13, 2013 2:34 pm 

Are there any options to enhance unarmed attacks? Difficult to write runes into your hands. Was just wondering, can you use anything, or do you just have to use talents?

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Re: Runes for unarmed attacks?
PostPosted: Sun Oct 13, 2013 6:22 pm 

Someone asked a similar question on the old forums. There is of course the option of using a cestus/gauntlet/tail bracer, etc. Someone had suggested simply buying a Fine pair of gloves and applying runes, but I can't remember whether that was considered to be a legal option.

Cestus and gauntlets do have the Worn quality, so there isn't really a downside to using them for unarmed attacks. Personally, if it isn't in your character concept to be wearing armoured gauntlets, I would simply use the rules for gauntlets and describe it in-character as gloves/handwraps/etc

aka Rurik - Nol Dappan War Priest (Divine 2.3)
aka Karthik - Tultipetan Stonemason (Expert 1.4)

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun Oct 13, 2013 11:47 pm 

The consensus in the old thread was that putting runes on gloves is legal.

AKA Ambassador Tukufu, man of letters, tomb raider and Master Sword Sage
. . . and Sir Szymon val'Holryn, Order of the Phoenix
Formerly Sir Jaeger val'Holryn. Weilder of the Holy Avenger: Thonanos. Gave his soul to help free King Noen

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2013 4:14 am 

Thanks then, now, when I use Form of the Predator, would they still be active?

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2013 5:47 am 

No. ALL your gear is absorbed into the form.

Haakon Marcus val'Virdan, Divine Holy Judge of Nier
Ruma val'Vasik, Martial Crusader and Master of the Spear
Jorma Osterman, Arcane Coryani Battlemage

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2013 2:51 am 

pg 5 of FiM states you have to use noble grab which i do believe that they ruled in past boards it had to be of exceptional quality (don't quote me on that one though), even if it does not have to be exceptional quality fine gloves would cost 20gc i believe, maybe more depending on how one interprets what is written on pg 231 of phb, so for a basic fine t1 rune on gloves its a min of 25gc . on top of that FiM pg 5 states that the gloves (noble grab) would then take up the armor spot of the wearer, which would imply to me that weapon runes would not work

i can double check with matt, i know he and our local unarmed fighter had brought this up in the old boards, as well as wrote up some new ideas for one of the up coming books. i know we had submitted some rules ideas regarding rune tattoos back in june, not sure as the status on that one though.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2013 4:55 am 

I am not sure on what the prices were worked out to be, but I recall that we all came to a consensus that gloves act like gauntlets. Even as a part of "armor" or other garb they still count as weapons. So if you want flaming or frosty gloves go right ahead. The later might be additionally useful for a Mint Julep on a hot Coryani day.

On the cost issue: I would assume that gloves could be bought either as separate gloves or as part of a nobles garb. Buying something separately means they cost at least 10 sc base before trying to figure out fine or exceptional variants.

Though its also my understanding that the quality of an item now only limits how many runes you can put on something ... it does not limit the quality of the runes that you can put on it it. So if you can live with a lesser amount of runes, cheap gloves should work fine. If that's currently wrong I hope someone will correct me here on the forum.

AKA Ambassador Tukufu, man of letters, tomb raider and Master Sword Sage
. . . and Sir Szymon val'Holryn, Order of the Phoenix
Formerly Sir Jaeger val'Holryn. Weilder of the Holy Avenger: Thonanos. Gave his soul to help free King Noen

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2013 8:10 am 

I would like to take the opportunity to point out :

Quote:
You may purchase Fine or Exceptional quality versions of clothing for 5x or 10x the normal value.
pg 238 ARPG

However, gloves do not have an individual listing, but a gauntlet costs 10SC, and a Katar (punching dagger COH) is 6 SC, I personally dont think that 10SC is an in appropriate price for a set of gloves. However if you caught me in a grumpy mood, I might just categorically deny gloves because they don't exist in the book for purchase, OR i might insist that you purchase Exceptional nobles clothing to get gloves.

Your mileage may vary, maybe we can bribe Pete to slip some mundane gloves into the next book.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2013 9:39 am 

somehow josh i completely missed that little section in the ARPG, i only ever remembered the section on pg 231.
i personality would say you have to buy the nobles grab, seeing as gloves are just an article of clothing, that being said to put a rune on cloths FiM is pretty clear as to what it takes to due such a thing, i would think

val Holryn wrote:
Though its also my understanding that the quality of an item now only limits how many runes you can put on something ... it does not limit the quality of the runes that you can put on it it. So if you can live with a lesser amount of runes, cheap gloves should work fine. If that's currently wrong I hope someone will correct me here on the forum.

did they change this rule from what FiM said? i'm not sure how to quote an outside source all fancy like josh did so i'll just copy and paste.
"As noted in the Table 2-1 Available Rune Slots, available Rune slots are dictated by the quality of the item; you may place Fine Runes upon items of Good Quality or better (with the exception of clothing as mentioned above) while Exceptional Runes may only be placed upon items of Exceptional Quality or better and lastly Legendary Runes may only be placed upon Legendary items. Legendary and Exceptional Runes are limited to a maximum of one (each) per item. For example: a longsword of Legendary Quality may hold 5 Runes, but only one Legendary and one Exceptional, the other three limited to Fine Quality."

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2013 9:55 am 

Panther, yeah that is an interesting place in the rules where what is written is intended for the typical (armor and weapons) and not for the weird thing like using clothes as armor for the purpose of runes.

That being said Exceptional clothing should get the same runes as exceptional armor, 1 exceptional and 3 Fine (or 4 fine runes)

and the quote this is just using the quote tags at the top of the list:

[quote_] they look like this, well minus the underscores [/quote_]

Offline Profile  

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 17 posts ]  Moderators: james.zwiers, PCI Eric, PCI_StatMonkey Go to page 1, 2  Next