Last visit was: It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 1:50 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Time of the Destruction of Valossa by the Unspeakable One
PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2014 4:17 pm 

When was Valossa destroyed by the Unspeakable One?

The Codex Arcanis, Legacy of Damnation, and other sources mention that the Serpent-Men (presumably Ssanu) of Valossa mostly worshipped Yig, but eventually some of them formed a cult that attempted to summon the Unspeakable One. When the cult tried to bring this horribly wicked being to Arcanis, it caused horrendous damage and destroyed their land of Valossa and thereby created the Pirate Isles and the Blasted Sea.

When did this happen?

The aforementioned two books are vague. The Codex Arcanis says that there are ancient stories among the Skohir and Yhing-Hir about the event but mentions nothing of stories from the First Imperium or Elorii. Legacy of Damnation's history implies that it may have happened during the First Imperium, but it's rather vague. Freeport: City of Adventure says it was 2,000 years ago, but I trust a Paradigm publication over a Green Ronin book. I made a note a long time ago that it occurred around 3800 Prae Coryan; however, I did not record my source, and I now cannot find the source.

Does anyone know of a source that mentions the timing of the summoning of the Unspeakable One? What is the best guess from historians as to when it happened? Do the Elorii know?

Amadi val'Abebi - Monk of Althares
Talathos - choleric Kelekene dabbler

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Re: Time of the Destruction of Valossa by the Unspeakable On
PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2014 12:30 am 

I kept looking and think I found the answer to my own question. It's in the Codex Arcanis, 1st ed, p. 111, "The Origins of Freeport."

Still, if anyone has any further details to add, that would be great.

I also think it's neat that Green Ronin's FREEPORT TRILOGY mentions Arcanis.

Henry, if you happen to read this, my current quesiton connects back to a question I asked you the first time we ever met about in-character research in Freeport's library. I still have my handwritten notes from that brief conversation, and I'm pretty sure I understand your answers much better in light of other things I've figured out since then.

The fact that Henry and all of Team Paradigm are so involved with the players and the campaign (on-line and in-person and in designing games for us) is one of numerous reasons why Paradigm and Arcanis are very special. :-)

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2014 12:07 pm 

Hi David,

I'm afraid that I can't speak directly to your question, but I wouldn't get too caught up in the different time frames presented in the books. Pretty much any world information Henry writes is written 'in character' in one way or another, which means there is bias and 'human' error built into the world. This is one of the ways that he keeps us guessing.

aka Rurik - Nol Dappan War Priest (Divine 2.3)
aka Karthik - Tultipetan Stonemason (Expert 1.4)

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2014 1:26 pm 

The realism of the bias and "human error" that Akira mentions is another big reason I like Arcanis. I think it's much more realistic that way than all the fantasy worlds where the facts are clearly, neutrally spelled out in sourcebooks that anyone can buy and read.

Years ago, I bought the Codex Arcanis because gaming friends had suggested I try Arcanis as more enjoyable than Greyhawk, and by the time I had finished reading the book, I was sold. Playing the game just got me even more hooked. Thanks, Henry, et al!

Offline Profile  

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 4 posts ]  Moderators: james.zwiers, PCI Eric, PCI_StatMonkey