Last visit was: It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 9:46 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 78 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8
 Post subject: Re: Origins 2014 BI Certs
PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2014 10:18 am 

Harliquinn wrote:
<snip>That said, what I think could be interesting is a 2-part BI that starts at Origins and ends at GenCon. Keep the 12-14 encounters but split them up over 2 events with a logical break in the middle. Now that could be enjoyable!

It's an interesting idea and would certainly be enjoyable, but only for the small number of players that could be at both. The amount of negativity this would create is significant. I think this is a really bad idea and I'm someone in a position to make both events.

Now, a variation on the theme that might work would be to do a multi-round mod/story with release dates pre-planned to be in close proximity - say 2-3 months apart. Try and do targeted launch weekends and do critical event summaries open for a month to impact the next piece of the chain. The mods would still be available to everyone as they'll be released. There'd be a sense of urgency and inclusion as there's a clear next mod that will be impacted that will be available to play. Depending on how it's structured, perhaps even ask tables to submit interesting snippets that happened with brief descriptions of the characters involved and if reasonable give them a mention in the next mod. That may be more trouble than it's worth though.

With a sweep of his hat,

Paul

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2014 10:35 am 

Without asking everyone, I'm not sure why it's automatically a 'bad idea' and will result in significant negativity. Perhaps you have some information I don't?

[EDIT] The original idea was to help alleviate the added work to create 2 separate BI's for Origins and GenCon. each 'round' of the BI would have a logical conclusion so that those attending only 1 still get the satisfaction of finishing a significant milestone. It just means the PCI team can concentrate on 1 story BI for 2 events rather than 2 entirely separate ones, given the time to create these events.

Kelb'Bakari Masalio, Dark-kin Altherian Corsair, Gentleman Archaeologist, and Wandering Bard
"The highest compliment an Altherian can pay you is to shoot you with his flintlock. It means you were worth the expense."

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2014 10:47 am 

It may come down to work load. As much as I enjoy a good BI, regular mods are my bread and butter. If the extra work to do a second BI impacts regular mod output then I'm less interested. That said I don't object to something special at GenCon for those who can attend. I would have loved to go to ArcaniCon but can't and probably never will be able to go in my current job. But I bear no ill will to those who went this year and got the cool stuff in the Delve. Heck they got cool stuff but most have strings attached I don't want. ;)

While I'm thinking about it, I want to throw this out to James Z. Those of us who went on the jailbreak special mission at the Origins BI should get a special cert titled : "I met a Voiceless One and lived to tell about it. And I have the soiled underwear to prove it!" ;)

Haakon val'Ishi, Beltinian Exorcist 2.7 [Divine]
Ursula val'Holryn, Grand Master of the Tralian Hammer 2.2 [Martial]
Arun of Tultipet, Holy Champion of Neroth 1.10 [Expert]
Rikitsa val'Holryn, Psion 1.9 [Arcane]

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2014 2:09 pm 

Harliquinn wrote:
Maybe PCI has these numbers based upon book sales? Looking at the Kickstarters for Arcanis and Witch Hunter, there were ~270 and ~200 backers respectively. I know many people created multiple accounts for the different pledge levels, so it's hard to save how many unique backers there were. The boards have 182 members, 150 of which have more than 1 post. Perhaps it's less of a problem than it seems since I think the conventions routinely have about 100 people attending Arcanis events I believe? Just something to think about.

John

Closer to 60 attending Origins.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2014 2:09 pm 

Haakon_val'Ishi wrote:
While I'm thinking about it, I want to throw this out to James Z. Those of us who went on the jailbreak special mission at the Origins BI should get a special cert titled : "I met a Voiceless One and lived to tell about it. And I have the soiled underwear to prove it!" ;)

That's up to Tony ;)

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2014 8:12 pm 

Hey no problem if we get nothing out of it. In this case the "experience" was worth it. I don't think I've that big of an "aw S**t!" moment in a BI for a long time. Thanks. :)

Haakon val'Ishi, Beltinian Exorcist 2.7 [Divine]
Ursula val'Holryn, Grand Master of the Tralian Hammer 2.2 [Martial]
Arun of Tultipet, Holy Champion of Neroth 1.10 [Expert]
Rikitsa val'Holryn, Psion 1.9 [Arcane]

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2014 5:46 pm 

There's been a lot of strong feelings that have been expressed in this thread and I hesitate to post in it, but felt I should give my point of view.

I'm one of those people who used to but no longer view Arcanis as a 'event I need to play at a con' event anymore. The investment for me to focus my con experience to Arcanis is simply not there anymore. I've never been to Arcanicon and I probably never will. I have played Arcanis at every Origins, but have skipped out on a special event here and there. I did play this past BI.

From my perspective, only giving out 100xp and a 1 time minor reward (sorry, but it is a minor reward to me too), is not going to encourage me to prioritize other Arcanis special events in the future. I would be glad that major rewards aren't being given out at these events, but then that would give me more reason to feel comfortable in skipping them as opposed to attending them. And I suspect that outlook is not what you folks are hoping for out of people like myself.

FYI, I think the 2 Gc is being a bit overlooked here, but I recognize that some may not see it as a lot of money.

I do believe the 100 xp is the right idea (I personally think 400 xp would have been a better number, i.e. only a single standard mod's worth of XP), but something else needs to be awarded if I were going to choose the Arcanis special event over other special events that are also giving out rewards for those respective campaigns. Doesn't have to be a rune or powerful loot. But there needs to be some expected incentive so that when I'm choosing what event to attend on Saturday during my Origins trip, that I choose the Arcanis B.I. over something else. A good story experience should sadly be a given at this point, because most of the other competing events are already offering the same, a good story experience.

Incidentally, I didn't realize that the fate point on the cert was a 1 time use only. If it was an expanded option of fate point usage that would apply to any fate point I would send, that makes it a significant reward in my book.

Obuasi Okoru - Altherian Priest of Althares and Career Academic Student
Jacob Bartlett - Gruff Woodsman, Stalkers of the Unseen Hunt

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2014 1:06 pm 

I appreciate the feedback. Am sure the campaign does too.

I certainly liked this years BI. But it was not my all time favorite. I continue to ruminate on what I want from future BI in terms of content and rewards.

AKA Ambassador Tukufu, man of letters, tomb raider and Master Sword Sage
. . . and Sir Szymon val'Holryn, Order of the Phoenix
Formerly Sir Jaeger val'Holryn. Weilder of the Holy Avenger: Thonanos. Gave his soul to help free King Noen

Offline Profile  

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 78 posts ]  Moderators: james.zwiers, PCI Eric, PCI_StatMonkey Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8