Last visit was: It is currently Mon May 20, 2024 6:39 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Re: Gritty rules (massive damage) in effect
PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2014 7:43 am 

Deviknyte wrote:
Massive Damage rules being in effect, makes some older mods completely deadly at the tier they came out at. Cardakkx Rising is going to be a hand full for any 1.1 fighting the crossbow men. And Desecration might be nigh in-survivable with those speed 4 hook horror attacks.

Good point. However, it might be moot if players start creating new characters at 1.5. With the 1.5 Character Leveling Cert, they would not be able to participate in playing either of those adventures.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2014 9:36 am 

Note: Gritty rules are per HIT, not total damage. This means that 5 crossbows doing 2d6(d8) still averages only 11.5 each. As such, it appears no more deadly than it was previous.

The hooks, however. . .

Haakon Marcus val'Virdan, Divine Holy Judge of Nier
Ruma val'Vasik, Martial Crusader and Master of the Spear
Jorma Osterman, Arcane Coryani Battlemage

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2014 4:08 pm 

blackthorn wrote:
Deviknyte wrote:
Massive Damage rules being in effect, makes some older mods completely deadly at the tier they came out at. Cardakkx Rising is going to be a hand full for any 1.1 fighting the crossbow men. And Desecration might be nigh in-survivable with those speed 4 hook horror attacks.

Good point. However, it might be moot if players start creating new characters at 1.5. With the 1.5 Character Leveling Cert, they would not be able to participate in playing either of those adventures.

My players didn't have an issue with either adventure and the "Gritty Rules."

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2014 9:53 pm 

Southernskies wrote:
By a couple of levels into T.2, PCs should have a Fort around 22-23 plus AR2-4 from armour, runes or spells.

You're welcome to believe that if you like, but not everyone builds a character the same way. For *both* of my characters (2.6 and 2.2), there were far more interesting and 'necessary' things than boosting my defenses.

My S'sressen sniper (2.6) hasn't bumped any of his defenses at all - making him 18/17/17 (or there abouts) and has 1 AR. Taking multiple rank-ups to advance his defenses would cripple the concept and he wouldn't be nearly as fun.

Choices have consequences, I get that and am all for it, but I'm not a fan of this massive damage rule. In one of the rounds at the BI, my character took 3 wounds AND was down-by-stamina on tick 1 (a group of 6 crossbowmen turned him into a pin cushion).

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2014 8:30 pm 

We are not going to plan our rules for low-end outliers, any more than we are going to design the fights for the high-end outliers.

My recommendation would be to examine the available rules to increase your Armor or Defenses, or figure out a way to make yourself a lot less tempting to attack.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2014 8:26 pm 

I think I like the Gritty Rules.

I like them mostly because they're about the only actually deadly aspect of the rules. And I like risk and challenge. Let's face it, being knocked down by stamina damage isn't usually an actual threat to having your character become dead-dead the vast majority of the time.

Yes, things can go real bad real fast if the Chronicler's dice get hot. But I think things can be mitigated with solid tactics, smart character advancements, teamwork, and good adventure/combat design. Authors and editors need to be careful so that not every encounter has a significant likelihood to issue multiple wounds too easily, but certain ones - it seems very appropriate to me to have that significant sort of challenge.

and
~ Sestia Gracchi, of Grand Coryan

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2014 2:05 am 

frzntundra4 wrote:
I think I like the Gritty Rules.

I like them mostly because they're about the only actually deadly aspect of the rules. And I like risk and challenge. Let's face it, being knocked down by stamina damage isn't usually an actual threat to having your character become dead-dead the vast majority of the time.

Yes, things can go real bad real fast if the Chronicler's dice get hot. But I think things can be mitigated with solid tactics, smart character advancements, teamwork, and good adventure/combat design. Authors and editors need to be careful so that not every encounter has a significant likelihood to issue multiple wounds too easily, but certain ones - it seems very appropriate to me to have that significant sort of challenge.

Forums need a like button.
Like +1

Offline Profile  

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 37 posts ]  Moderators: james.zwiers, PCI Eric, PCI_StatMonkey Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4