Last visit was: It is currently Fri May 17, 2024 3:21 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 135 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14  Next
 Post subject: Re: Loot availability/distribution in adventures
PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2014 11:58 am 

PCIHenry wrote:
Given that magic items mostly work off of runes, what exactly are we doing here? Just the purchase of runes and special mats?

I don't follow this statement. Magic items are completely different from runes (ex Greaves of the Scout have nothing to do with runes). To me, the system should be intended to allow rarely "buying" items not normally buyable (once per tier seems about right) such as magic items, permanent runes, amalgamated runes, etc. This is a way to make sure everyone gets some special items, can have at least a little more freedom in choosing those special items, and that they will slowly accumulate the bonuses needed to "keep up" at Tier 3+.

Eryk Bauer - Martial Awakened 1.2

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2014 12:05 pm 

That said, as I proposed each item would be approximately 20/TIER of item, meaning at Tier V you may have 100 [whozamawatzits] points, which you could spend on 5 Tier I items or a single Tier V item. Do you buy a bunch of little things, or save up for that one super-awesome thing? This allows the campaign to remain magic/restricted item light, which allowing for more opportunities to customize your character.

Haakon Marcus val'Virdan, Divine Holy Judge of Nier
Ruma val'Vasik, Martial Crusader and Master of the Spear
Jorma Osterman, Arcane Coryani Battlemage

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2014 12:13 pm 

Steve,

If I understand you correctly, what you're proposing is an old style Marketplace where you use thse points rather than money to buy magic items.

If so, I think we've aleady come to the conclusion that this isn't something that we want to include in the campaign as it takes away from the uniquness of magic items.

That's why runes can be purchased (I believe) so someone can always have something magical in their arsenal.

Henry Lopez
President
PCI

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2014 12:28 pm 

PCIHenry wrote:
Given that magic items mostly work off of runes, what exactly are we doing here? Just the purchase of runes and special mats?

The thread began with a concern over the availability of magic items rather than weapons, armor and runes. There have been debates at tables about who should have a particular item especially when it may be the only time it's offered. People felt that when the same reward or a set of rewards were available there was less argument. As multiple people have pointed out, any rewards with a mod should make sense and there isn't always a good reason for enough for everyone. The lack of items is also felt by people with additional characters doing replay.

The primary focus of the system I think is to provide some access to those things that can't currently be bought with money. Primarily this would be magic items such as the Greaves of the Scout, Gauntlet of Immaculate Defense, Cloak of Shadows or at least a set of items approved for purchase. Armor gets to be an interesting in between item. The light armor is inexpensive enough to be able to save up and buy an exceptional suit, while some of the heaviest armors not even good quality is within people's price range in the foreseeable future outside of specific mod rewards. Nothing inherently wrong with that, but it raises the question of whether it would be on the list.

With a sweep of his hat,

Paul

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2014 12:34 pm 

Hmm. Rereading Paul's proposal (which is what most people are discussing now), it is a little vague. "Tier Appropriate Gear" from a "limited list" I read to mean magic items (that you and the campaign staff approve), unbuyable runes, etc (otherwise, I don't see the point).

I think the big differences from a marketplace are:
  • You can't spend gold (at least for normally unbuyable items) - only SP (or whatever we call them) - therefore, the only way to get more is to play more adventures making them far more limited than a normal gold market would be
  • You can't sell or trade an item "bought" this way
  • It is a limited way for replay characters to get special items

Eryk Bauer - Martial Awakened 1.2

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2014 12:50 pm 

As a general addition, I still think we're best off defining the scope of the problem we're trying to solve. Once we have that and the principles around it we can find a solution if one is deemed necessary.

I still look at the problem as the following:

Scope: Allow for the acquisition of notable items that cannot be purchased with money in game. In the majority of cases this would be tier appropriate magic items.

Principles
1. Don't undercut the rewards provided as part of the mods and story
2. Let the stories dictate appropriate rewards
3. Keep with the rarity of magic items - no gold cost and limited number per character
4. Allow characters who replay mods to acquire something of interest.
5. Avoid as much as possible the potential for abusing the system

I expect others may see it differently, but that's my take on things.

With a sweep of his hat,

Paul

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2014 12:51 pm 

Hat in specific what are you prosing for people to be able to "buy" with New Points, rather than in game currency?

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2014 1:44 pm 

Hello Paul,

Hat wrote:
Scope: Allow for the acquisition of notable items that cannot be purchased with money in game. In the majority of cases this would be tier appropriate magic items.

If that's teh case, then we're back at whether this is a problem or not.

Frankly, I don't see it as such for a number of reasons I've outlined previously.

Henry Lopez
President
PCI

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2014 2:09 pm 

Hi Henry,

PCIHenry wrote:
Hat wrote:

If that's teh case, then we're back at whether this is a problem or not.

Frankly, I don't see it as such for a number of reasons I've outlined previously.

No problem. My proposal was a response to one of your comments.

PCIHenry wrote:
I also like the idea of allowing Heroes to buid their own weapon/item/whatever. Now, I'm just thinking outloud here, but maybe we could assign a point value to an item, rather than gold and allow those items to be "turned in" for something that the player truly wished to have.
(viewtopic.php?f=11&t=1245&start=70)

If this is still an interest then the goal and perhaps principles change accordingly. If there's not enough benefit to warrant the additional complexity then it's not worth pursuing.

With a sweep of his hat,

Paul

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2014 2:34 pm 

Hello Paul,

Hat wrote:
If this is still an interest then the goal and perhaps principles change accordingly. If there's not enough benefit to warrant the additional complexity then it's not worth pursuing.

Yes I remember writing that. I also said I was thinking outloud.

The more this started to develop, the less I felt it was something beneficial to the campaign. I agree with Mary Bamford that this is a slippery slope and may turn this campaign into a D&D one where magic items are commonplace.

I'll still discuss it with the Staff, but I'm liking this idea less and less.

I apologize if I made you do work for nothing, but I'm getting a gut feeling that this is going to just make Arcanis into another generic, run of the mill fantasy game.

Henry Lopez
President
PCI

Offline Profile  

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 135 posts ]  Moderators: james.zwiers, PCI Eric, PCI_StatMonkey Go to page Previous  1 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14  Next