Last visit was: It is currently Wed Apr 17, 2024 11:29 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Re: Jeggal Sag
PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2014 8:04 am 

lbxzero wrote:
When I read the fluff around Jeggal Sag, there are not suppose to be any female worshipers, period. And such understanding leads me to believe there are not suppose to be any ss'ressen female shamans, as the ss'ressen shamans worship Jeggal Sag.

Correct - due to the societal restrictions, the worship of Jeggal Sag was reactionary to the genetic prohibition of males being priests.

lbxzero wrote:
In response, I look at any female ss'ressen under the Arcane (Primal) route as following necromancy, not shamanism. So with "Templar" of Jeggal Sag, your character is trained like he was a templar but serves a different role.

You are contradicting yourself. You just stated that there are no female worshippers of Jeggal Sag. Do you mean that you are playing a priestess of the fire dragon?

Quote:
Further, where does it say that a worshiper of Jeggal Sag can't take divine spellcasting? I know the Ghost Scale can't go into divine spellcasting, but there is no visible reason why not Jeggal Sag. I know there are no deity specific spells for Jeggal Sag, but that only means current characters are limited to the generic list.

There is a reason - Jeggal Sag is not a "God" in the same sense as Kassegore and Yig. There are no cants from Jeggal Sag. So his "priests" must be Shamans, which is a completely different animal from Divine Casters.

Henry Lopez
President
PCI

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2014 8:34 am 

PCIHenry wrote:

No - Paladins are the equivalent of Holy Champion.

Perhaps I believed that the term "Templar" was commonly understood - I see that I was wrong and everything will need to be spelled out to the smallest detail from now on.

Everyone's interpretation of things can be different, Henry. Templar's guarded pilgrims as well in the traditional sense, and while they were associated with the Temple of Jerusalem, it wasn't their only task. As an example of history and game differing, the Templars took Vows of Poverty and Chastity, but I don't think that's expected of Templars in Arcanis without a specific rule, correct? The Templar Background specifies 'soldier of the faith' and nothing about guarding temples or pilgrims.

It's not a matter of spelling out smallest details. It's a matter of making sure the flavor text and rules match how you envision aspects of the game being realized. As the player base of Arcanis increases, not everyone is going to have the same frame of reference for things as you intended. When creating a book with mechanics for playing a game, it cannot be assumed that everyone is going to have the same assumptions based upon real life examples.

This is all meant as guidance and not criticism, nor is it a fault or shortcoming on the part of the players in the campaign.

Respectfully,
John

Kelb'Bakari Masalio, Dark-kin Altherian Corsair, Gentleman Archaeologist, and Wandering Bard
"The highest compliment an Altherian can pay you is to shoot you with his flintlock. It means you were worth the expense."

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2014 8:41 am 

John,

It is becoming more and more apparent to me that not only must we be exacting in our detailing of rules, but of source material as well. If you look at previous discussions on this board, you'll see pages and pages of discussion on the smallest of details and nuances.

To be frank, if someone wants to play a female ss'ressen Illiirite priest, there's not much I can do about that. What I can do is say what fits into the setting and what doesn't. But given the recent (that I noticed anyway) of examining every sentence with a microscope, then yes - I'll need to start writing sourcebooks as scholarly texts rather than making it a "fun and entertaining" read.

Respectfully,

Henry Lopez

Henry Lopez
President
PCI

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2014 9:03 am 

Henry,

I think the 'story' part of each book is perfectly grand the way it is, entertaining and exciting to read with a lot of nuggets that make you wonder. However, it is the nature of the beast that if the game mechanics need to enforce certain restrictions or limitations without exception, it must be stated explicitly. Alternatively, the rules can allow everything without restriction and provide a section that is "What fits into the official World of Arcanis" and let home GM's allow or disallow the aspects they'd prefer. For the shared campaign, this could go in the Campaign Guidelines as well.

John

Kelb'Bakari Masalio, Dark-kin Altherian Corsair, Gentleman Archaeologist, and Wandering Bard
"The highest compliment an Altherian can pay you is to shoot you with his flintlock. It means you were worth the expense."

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2014 9:56 am 

WIth the assumption on my contradictions, there are no rules saying female Black Talon don't worship Jeggal Sag. Basic, there are onlya handful rules across Arcanis regulating religion-national-racial limits. But I meant Fire Dragon worshippers that are Primal casters aren't exactly shamans but other forms of casters that are encompassed in Primal traditions.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2014 10:47 am 

ibxzero.... nothing except for the fact the black talon don't worship jeggal sag, they worship the fire dragon.

Quote:
Religion: The Black Talons worship the Fire Dragon.

ARPG pg 117

I dont see how that can be more clear

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2014 11:00 am 

Unfortunately, there are MANY instances (mostly in the Ssethregore book) where it does say that the Cult of Jeggal Sag is present among the Black Talons and Ashen Hides. They serve an important niche in their society, so the Worship of Jeggal Sag is accepted, if not necessarily encouraged.

Example:

Ssethregore, Page 47 wrote:
Under each High Matriarch are the various priestesses of
the Black Talons. Only females can become priestesses; males
who feel the religious inklings become holy champions or join
the druidic Cult of Jeggal Sag, aiding their skills to the clutch.

Haakon Marcus val'Virdan, Divine Holy Judge of Nier
Ruma val'Vasik, Martial Crusader and Master of the Spear
Jorma Osterman, Arcane Coryani Battlemage

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2014 11:37 am 

well when the ssethregore book gets remade, it will probably address those issues

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2014 1:28 pm 

Actually, in the Core Arcanis Rulebook, also page 117, the last sentence of the paragraph that you quoted says,

"The only exception is a tolerated veneration of Jeggal Sagg, but he is considered a minor power at most."

So the current rules support the idea that Black Talons can worship Jeggal Sag. No need to wait for a new book.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2014 1:52 pm 

PCIHenry wrote:
David,

Davebauder wrote:
Just to make sure I understand, you could make a Templar of Jeggal Sag, since he is a listed god and is worshiped by those in the known lands. But you could not then take the Diving Spellcasting talent for that templar.

That is correct, though Jeggal Sag doesn't have Templars.

Templars defend temples - that's something that Jeggal Sag doesn't have.

The definition of the word Templar is

A member of a military religious order ( Knights of the Temple of Solomon ) founded by Crusaders in Jerusalem around 1118 to defend the Holy Sepulchre and Christian pilgrims.

Jeggal Sag does not have any temples, but there is a holy place (the mound where Jeggal Sag lays) and there are pilgrims.

Using this standard definition, it is possible to see why people would think that there are Jeggal Sag templars. Holy warriors who seek to defend the pilgrims to the holy place, to keep the path clear and the worshipers safe.

Would this be a reasonable basis to create a Jeggal Sag templar within the consistency of the Arcanis world?

Offline Profile  

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 25 posts ]  Moderators: james.zwiers, PCI Eric, PCI_StatMonkey Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next