Last visit was: It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 6:37 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Herb Gathering/ Preperation
PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2014 11:01 am 

How do people feel about Gathering Herbs and preparing them ? (codex of heroes new uses for skills section, artisan, heal and wilderness lore)

It certainly is allowed, its part of a published product, and certainly hasn't been disallowed, its just there are no guidelines on how it works in Organized play.

I think if a player is sufficiently prepared for this, with a cheat sheet to hand the judge OR limits himself to looking for one or two area appropriate herbs, I think this is a totally appropriate kind of action as long as it doesn't take up too much game time.

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Re: Herb Gathering/ Preperation
PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2014 11:06 am 

My wife's character is an herbalist. She uses herbs every now and then in modules. I've never seen anyone have an issue with it.

aka Rurik - Nol Dappan War Priest (Divine 2.3)
aka Karthik - Tultipetan Stonemason (Expert 1.4)

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2014 11:07 am 

Josh,

I disagree with your assumption.

While it certainly hasn't been disallowed by the Legends of Acanis campaign, the fact that guidelines haven't been put out for such an action doesn't mean players can come up with their ad hoc rules and expect them to be implemented.

For the time being, I would leave it the GMs discretion and not have temporary rules put in place.

Remember: The books are written for home play as well as the Organized Play campaign. Not all options work equally well in all environments.

Henry Lopez
President
PCI

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2014 11:55 am 

I've allowed the gathering of herbs and such as appropriate for the adventure. If someone wants to do it, I have allowed 1 roll per scene (much like a binding) for a particular herb, based upon the terrain/area of the world that the characters are in. There are no rules for 'how much' is gathered, so I usually based it on a random 1d6 roll and then add based upon how high their success was. It's not perfect but it seems to work okay.

John

Kelb'Bakari Masalio, Dark-kin Altherian Corsair, Gentleman Archaeologist, and Wandering Bard
"The highest compliment an Altherian can pay you is to shoot you with his flintlock. It means you were worth the expense."

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2014 5:17 pm 

There is also the limitation from time of year and environment. Most of them can't be found where we travel...

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2014 2:17 pm 

PCIHenry wrote:
<snip>

that guidelines haven't been put out for such an action

<snip>

As a related question, do you (PCI) intend to put out guidelines or, dare we hope, full rules for herbs? When I first picked up the Codex of Heroes, one of the first things that caught my eye was the Poison Master talent. I was saddened that there were no rules or guidelines on using it, however. I would love a system to brew herbs and poisons, both for aiding healing and for giving arrows/daggers a little extra bite.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2014 2:53 pm 

Hard Eight wrote:
PCIHenry wrote:
<snip>

that guidelines haven't been put out for such an action

<snip>

As a related question, do you (PCI) intend to put out guidelines or, dare we hope, full rules for herbs? When I first picked up the Codex of Heroes, one of the first things that caught my eye was the Poison Master talent. I was saddened that there were no rules or guidelines on using it, however. I would love a system to brew herbs and poisons, both for aiding healing and for giving arrows/daggers a little extra bite.

I love the system (seeing it's my creation) and would very much love to see some solid guidelines for LA play..

But saying that, I understand there is some internal discussion on incorporating it into the campaign...

Paradigm Concepts
Miami, Florida

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2014 7:32 pm 

This and crafting need rules/guidelines established for the campaign - in my opinion.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2014 7:55 pm 

I skipped taking any craft skills for my character as crafting was so unlikely to ever make it into the campaign guide.

Too many skill needs, not enough points (although I do have a couple of 'flavour' skills that would be useful... if they ever came up, like Appraise and Ride). Even though the family has a history of Weaponsmithing!

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2014 2:56 pm 

I know you guys always got a lot on your plate but has there been any more thought on making such a guideline for the campaign? It matters a lot as I was beginning to fall so in love with this character I am building I was seriously considering scrapping Lothair and making it my new primary. Obviously it is going to be awhile before I get a chance to make any poisons but if there is never a chance to make poisons then my character concept is dead from the beginning. Henry didn't exactly say no it was never going to happen in the campaign. Pedro gave some noncommittal response about how he would like to see it happen. So I guess what I am asking a solid yes or no on the POSSIBILITY of it happening.

Lothair: "I don't understand, the invitations say Lothair plus one."

Offline Profile  

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 14 posts ]  Moderators: james.zwiers, PCI Eric, PCI_StatMonkey Go to page 1, 2  Next