Last visit was: It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 11:24 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Re: Tiered Talents
PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2014 12:28 am 

As someone who's never gotten to tier 3 with a character, I wouldn't feel any diminished sense of accomplishment from going Weapon Mastery Tier I to Weapon Mastery Tier V within tier 5. Just getting to tier 5 would be a bloody miracle for me.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2014 7:27 am 

Hard Eight wrote:
As someone who's never gotten to tier 3 with a character, I wouldn't feel any diminished sense of accomplishment from going Weapon Mastery Tier I to Weapon Mastery Tier V within tier 5. Just getting to tier 5 would be a bloody miracle for me.

I can appreciate that sentiment. The challenge is that the issue we're discussing isn't one for just the living campaign. Presumably there are a lot more folks playing than are involved in Living Arcanis and in the home campaigns the pace of advancement is likely to vary significantly.

I looked for pretty much as extreme an example as I could find. Spending just 2 tiers to get full Tier 5 spell casting, passive CTNs of 32 for both Divine Casting and Psionics is huge if not broken. I agree that it would be nice to be able to catch up a Talent if you happened to miss one.

I think the rules could be tweaked to find the right balance, but opening things up completely is problematic. It's already extremely easy to be a caster on top of being a martial character. Make it too much easier and you'll rarely find builds without it. There are enough self-buff and utility spells out there that being a maxed out caster isn't required to really leverage the talents. Especially as every spell casting talent you take is the equivalent of 3 - 5 talent selections.

With a sweep of his hat,

Paul

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2014 1:03 pm 

So, based on what val Holryn said, maybe this would work... Create a new tiered Talent; something like:

Renewed Training [Tiered]
Tier 2: Choose a tiered talent for which you qualify, but currently have selected fewer times than your character-tier allows for. This instance of Renewed Training acts, in all ways, as that Talent.
Tier 3: Choose a tiered talent for which you qualify, but currently have selected fewer times than your character-tier allows for. This instance of Renewed Training acts, in all ways, as that Talent.
Tier 4: Choose a tiered talent for which you qualify, but currently have selected fewer times than your character-tier allows for. This instance of Renewed Training acts, in all ways, as that Talent.
Tier 5: Choose a tiered talent for which you qualify, but currently have selected fewer times than your character-tier allows for. This instance of Renewed Training acts, in all ways, as that Talent.

Now Characters have the ability to play catch-up, but can't abuse it by becoming an overnight master.

Thoughts?

Scott

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2014 1:27 pm 

Instead of making a whole new talent, why not just errata the following:

[Tiered Talents]
Special: Any tiered talent can be taken up to twice in any tier, but a character can not benefit from a tiered ability until they are that tier or higher.

aka Rurik - Nol Dappan War Priest (Divine 2.3)
aka Karthik - Tultipetan Stonemason (Expert 1.4)

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2014 1:53 pm 

acurrier wrote:

[Tiered Talents]
Special: Any tiered talent can be taken up to twice in any tier, but a character can not benefit from a tiered ability until they are that tier or higher.
Well, a couple of reasons...

- Creating a new Talent allows for a fix that does not require any errata.
- Creating a new Talent allows for a much more limited ability to "double-up" on talents. This would allow you to play catch-up once only per tier. Which is enough to allow some flexibility, but not enough to become abusive.

Now, I'm not married to the idea. I think that opening up tiered talents a little more might not be bad. My concern was that if I fall behind on a talent, can I ever get it back? I think that if the answer to that is, "no", then the rule seems a bit too restrictive to me. But by the same token, I don't think that the floodgates should be opened, either. Anyway, the new Talent suggestion is a clean fix to the problem as I see it. I'm sure there are other ways to fix it. I kind of like this one. But again, I'm not suggesting that there aren't other ways.

:)
Scott

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2014 2:22 pm 

acurrier wrote:

[Tiered Talents]

Because I could repeat my extreme example either starting in Tier 3, completing in Tier 5, or starting in Tier 4 for both Divine and Psionic with 2 tiers of ASC and 2 tiers of DSC in each of 4 and 5. You wouldn't make Tier 5 of the casting talent, but that's not necessarily a huge deal at this point. It may become more relevant later.

Scott's suggestion provides a way to "fix" a limited number of outages without opening the doors wide open. It also costs an "Any Talent" each tier you want to use it which provides another limiter on its power. Actually to clarify, I would recommend that if Scott's talent is adopted it does not fall into one of the 4 double choice options - skill, combat, devout, arcane so as to avoid any archetype gaining undue benefit.

Part of it comes down to a philosophical question of whether true masters (5 Tiers worth of progress) should be more rare or more common. The benefit is also disproportionately easier for Experts to take advantage of than other Archetypes as they have the most flexibility with skill ranks. In fantasy games spellcasting gets more powerful as you rise in power moreso than non-casters. Arcanis I believe does a better job with this than most but that mechanical discrepancy is still likely to be there. The more expansions that come out, the greater the likelihood of that discrepancy growing. Codex of Heroes certainly contributed to it.

Right now if you want to be good at casting and something else you need to make that decision early and work hard at it. You have to find a way to get Prestidigitation and your primary spell casting talent in Tier 1 or forever be behind. If you don't start as a primary caster, you run the risk of being too many skill ranks behind as well which is another point of balance.

Allow people to push that decision / needed investment off until tier 2, 3 or 4 and in my opinion you do 2 things. First you increase the number of powerful casters at higher tiers, and especially the ones who are multi-threat as they will have spent their first several tiers mastering / setting up another specialty. This means the threats to challenge them also need to increase to compensate. Second you effectively diminish the meaningfulness of folks who've spent their characters entire lives focusing on their specialty. This second item is completely subjective. The mechanical impact of the first is not.

As it stands there seems to be disagreement over the existing rule about tiered talents and what happens if you gain 2 tiers worth if you're already missing a tier. If you're currently caught up, the talent is pushed off and gained as soon as you hit the next tier. I had thought that was the case regardless of whether it would exceed tier or not. Say if you're at Tier 2 and select Leadership for the first time and then get it via a Path. I would expect that 2nd tier of Leadership to be pushed off until Tier 3, potentially repeating the cycle. I think people stated that if it didn't exceed tier they expected you'd just get it then effectively catching up.

If that ends up being the case then existing paths are biased towards allowing casters to catch up but not weapon masters as weapon training is rarely given in paths. Martial techniques are usually granted instead. In casting paths, the 2nd tier of the path typically grants the spell casting talent.

To a certain extent it's going to come back to what the game designers want to see from heroes in the higher tiers.

With a sweep of his hat,

Paul

Last edited by Hat on Wed Mar 05, 2014 1:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2014 12:31 pm 

DeadZone wrote:
So, based on what val Holryn said, maybe this would work... Create a new tiered Talent; something like:

Renewed Training [Tiered]
Tier 2: Choose a tiered talent for which you qualify, but currently have selected fewer times than your character-tier allows for. This instance of Renewed Training acts, in all ways, as that Talent.
Tier 3: Choose a tiered talent for which you qualify, but currently have selected fewer times than your character-tier allows for. This instance of Renewed Training acts, in all ways, as that Talent.
Tier 4: Choose a tiered talent for which you qualify, but currently have selected fewer times than your character-tier allows for. This instance of Renewed Training acts, in all ways, as that Talent.
Tier 5: Choose a tiered talent for which you qualify, but currently have selected fewer times than your character-tier allows for. This instance of Renewed Training acts, in all ways, as that Talent.

Now Characters have the ability to play catch-up, but can't abuse it by becoming an overnight master.

Thoughts?

Scott

I like this idea.. alot

Paradigm Concepts
Miami, Florida

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2014 1:12 pm 

if you really want to proven someone from becoming instant expert or even semi instant experts, take away the tiering of the talent and make it so you can only bump a talent once ever

Renewed Training
Choose a tiered talent for which you qualify, but currently have selected fewer times than your character-tier allows for. This Talent acts in all ways, as that Talent. You may take this talent more than once but you must select a new talent each time.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2014 10:09 pm 

acurrier wrote:

[Tiered Talents]

I like this option, MUCH more than any other. In spite of being errata (which to me isn't a big deal considering how there are other much more complicated examples of this already). It's easier, cleaner, balanced, and does not allow for 'instant master' of some sort.

and
~ Sestia Gracchi, of Grand Coryan

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2014 12:40 am 

Personally, I think the new talent suggestion is too limited. It is a Training talent (meaning no other Training talent ever) and it can only be taken to catch up a single talent per tier. I could live with it if it were a non-Training talent (on the other hand, even if it is a Training talent, it's better than the current rule). As I think I said before, I'd probably just open it up (yes, it could be "abused" but I don't think most people would do so).

Eryk Bauer - Martial Awakened 1.2

Offline Profile  

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 28 posts ]  Moderators: james.zwiers, PCI Eric, PCI_StatMonkey Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next