Last visit was: It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 7:47 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Selling gear at character creation?
PostPosted: Sat Feb 22, 2014 2:12 pm 

One thing I've wondered about for a long time. Is it legal to sell starting gear for 1/10 the price (per pg 230)? It looks like it is and most of the time this works fine. However, I see nothing in the rules to prevent a Kio from taking X Kio Swords (which can then be sold for 5 Gc each resulting in a huge amount of starting coin).

For items that vary cost by who is buying them, what is the sale price? For instance, Flintlock Rifles are 50 Gc for most but 50 Sc for Altherians - would they be sold for 5 Gc or 5 Sc each?

If I've missed something in the rules (or in the campaign guide) that prevents any of this, please provide the citation.

Eryk Bauer - Martial Awakened 1.2

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Re: Selling gear at character creation?
PostPosted: Sat Feb 22, 2014 2:21 pm 

As far as I know you can sell equipment at generation for 1/10 the price that you are automatically given. However I don't think you can sell semi thing that you've chosen with something like "Any two starting weapons". As it's assumed any buying selling has occurred and that's what you have left. I don't think Kio swords can be sold at all and selling flintlocks for those given them would be at the lower price.

John

Kelb'Bakari Masalio, Dark-kin Altherian Corsair, Gentleman Archaeologist, and Wandering Bard
"The highest compliment an Altherian can pay you is to shoot you with his flintlock. It means you were worth the expense."

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Feb 22, 2014 2:48 pm 

Correct - Kio swords are NEVER sold.

I suppose we'll need to issue errata to cover this circumstance;; one which hasn't come up in a dozen years.

Henry Lopez
President
PCI

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Feb 22, 2014 3:26 pm 

PCIHenry wrote:
Correct - Kio swords are NEVER sold.

I suppose we'll need to issue errata to cover this circumstance;; one which hasn't come up in a dozen years.

It's pretty clear to me from various things that it's the intent that Kio Swords are never sold (by Kio at any rate) but I couldn't find anything that explicitly said you couldn't.

There are a few ways for non-Kio to get a Kio Sword (Mercenary background is probably the simplest). It might be worth adding a note in the errata that Kio Sword can't be chosen with an "any weapon" background choice. It really doesn't make sense to restrict non-Kio from selling Kio Swords (similar to how Japanese katanas were claimed and sold by allied soldiers in WW2) - of course, if a non-Kio is ever caught by a Kio with a Kio Sword, it could get interesting...

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Feb 22, 2014 3:29 pm 

The campaign rules are explicit that Kio Swords are a limited item so you unless you're a Kio you can't start with one.

Kelb'Bakari Masalio, Dark-kin Altherian Corsair, Gentleman Archaeologist, and Wandering Bard
"The highest compliment an Altherian can pay you is to shoot you with his flintlock. It means you were worth the expense."

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Feb 22, 2014 3:50 pm 

Harliquinn wrote:
The campaign rules are explicit that Kio Swords are a limited item so you unless you're a Kio you can't start with one.

Ah, I missed that. That solves that potential problem (for the living campaign at least).

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun Feb 23, 2014 2:47 am 

Thanks for the heads up Henry. I doubt it will matter locally but its good to know!

As for my own totally unofficial opinions....you're probably lucky with Henry's flat ban because ....Dude. I'd let a Kio PC sell his sword. :twisted: I got 5 (court em!) 5 bright shiny coins for you. Good luck role playing with any other Kio you meet anywhere.

Theoretically a Kio with the mercenary background could get a second non heirloom kio sword .... and maybe sell it if they were a complete poltroon. 5 GC is a lot of mullah at creation...but its no worse than someone who gets a heavy armor (like andrean plate) and sells it at creation....

AKA Ambassador Tukufu, man of letters, tomb raider and Master Sword Sage
. . . and Sir Szymon val'Holryn, Order of the Phoenix
Formerly Sir Jaeger val'Holryn. Weilder of the Holy Avenger: Thonanos. Gave his soul to help free King Noen

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2014 9:00 am 

Once the kio book comes out

and players understand the cultural significance of owning a Kio Sword... they will rethink even wanting to sell it

Paradigm Concepts
Miami, Florida

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2014 9:12 am 

Also the Campaign Guide says you cannot trade (which includes selling) gear you start with. You can do so after your first adventure though.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2014 9:40 pm 

Harliquinn wrote:
Also the Campaign Guide says you cannot trade (which includes selling) gear you start with. You can do so after your first adventure though.

Where? I very well might be missing it but I don't see anything about that in the v1.3 guide (the latest as far as I know). It seems like an odd restriction anyway if it is there since it would only grant a few silver (unless someone gets heavy armor and actually wants to sell it (since Kio Swords are restricted and can't be sold)).

Offline Profile  

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 13 posts ]  Moderators: james.zwiers, PCI Eric, PCI_StatMonkey Go to page 1, 2  Next