Last visit was: It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:14 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 64 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7
 Post subject: Re: Using a 20' long weapon in combat?
PostPosted: Fri Feb 28, 2014 8:58 am 

PCI_StatMonkey wrote:
Sorry to pop your flowing sand bubble

You may only perform a number of attacks less or equal to your Passive Quickness Value, and no more than one attack per foe.

Wow, I can't believe I missed that.

Okay... That works for me. (I wonder if a similar phrase should be added to Whirlwind? Or maybe it's just acceptable the way it is.)

:)
Scott

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2016 9:13 pm 

BUMP, dede, BUMP BUMP!

I have not had any "Issues" at the game table since this thread concluded with the use of the LongSpear/Pike as written. Folks seem content to let me run it per RAW, subject to the "Ok. How exactly are you taking that thing down a well?" Which seems like a very reasonable question. (It is solvable with Call to Arms for battle casters or with a Call to Arms rune for the non-casters.)

However, I have had a couple of folks question if the rules support a 20' Reach, not because they question my use of the weapon, but because they missed the weapon description when building their own PC. So, I'm bumping this thread to give folks that missed the discussion the first time around to see it.

I would note that I have not been using my LongSpear with any maneuvers. Not because of the answers in this thread, but because I don't want to spend the talents to get a maneuver. So, I j just use basic attacks, Free Strikes, and Distract Opponent.

There once was a gnome called Oozy,
Who kissed a Yaricite floozy.
But rather than wed,
She drowned him instead,
Now he is a Yaricite toosey!

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2016 9:34 pm 

We had a local player engage in pike shenanigans...while I am absolutely sure pikes have never been used with great sweeping strikes historically, RAW is pretty clear. If you can get the pike there I see no reason why you can't use it with any maneuver it isn't specifically banned from. (Personally I think sweeping strike should be limited to bludgeoning or slashing weapons in general...but that's a different pile of (small) potatoes...)

I do not think there will be an over abundance of pike weilders regardless. For whatever reason I don't think pikes fill the imaginations of players. Similarly I think that Mechanically at Tier 1 & 2 you are flat out off better off (via weapon tricks) attacking with a Heavy Shield than with a broadsword or gladius. (Mechanically the weapons are all spd 5/d8). Yet the countries of the world don't build armies of Captain America clones. As for players... I've seen a "Captain Arcanis" character ... but the campaign is hardly over run by wannabe PC Avengers either. [edited for clarity]

AKA Ambassador Tukufu, man of letters, tomb raider and Master Sword Sage
. . . and Sir Szymon val'Holryn, Order of the Phoenix
Formerly Sir Jaeger val'Holryn. Weilder of the Holy Avenger: Thonanos. Gave his soul to help free King Noen

Last edited by val Holryn on Sat Jan 30, 2016 11:35 pm, edited 5 times in total.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2016 10:20 pm 

Pike is not my first choice for a combat build. It is a poor choice for a frount line weapon. But for a PC that is a skill monkey, that has neither casting or manuvers it his build it is an effective support weapon.

There once was a gnome called Oozy,
Who kissed a Yaricite floozy.
But rather than wed,
She drowned him instead,
Now he is a Yaricite toosey!

Offline Profile  

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 64 posts ]  Moderators: james.zwiers, PCI Eric, PCI_StatMonkey Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7