Last visit was: It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 1:56 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 87 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 9  Next
 Post subject: Re: Talent/Path - Contradictions/Issues
PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2014 12:18 pm 

My list was meant to compile those talents that offer a "General Bonus" (e.g. Honeyed Tongue) compared with those that offer a "Situational Bonus" (e.g. Alien Understanding), be it by specific creature, skill use, or circumstance.

I'd postulate that those *should* stack. However, I wouldn't expect Talents that offer the same "General Bonus" or "Situational Bonus" to stack (e.g. Street Smarts and Seasoned Traveler)

I don't have a good suggestion to differentiate stacking, without just saying "Bonuses to a General Skill stack with Bonuses for a particular use of the skill"

John

Kelb'Bakari Masalio, Dark-kin Altherian Corsair, Gentleman Archaeologist, and Wandering Bard
"The highest compliment an Altherian can pay you is to shoot you with his flintlock. It means you were worth the expense."

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2014 1:06 pm 

Deviknyte wrote:
I'm looking at the long list of specific bonus talents John has and I'm wondering how many talents DON'T do specific instances bonuses. I always thought the intent was for those to not stack, since few of them grant a bonus to the same instance. I know some talents should stack, especially when they grant a bonus to the same roll (honey tongue and seductive).

I'm at work and can't look more into it. But what won't stack after this list?

Talent's should not "stack" but simply give a better bonus when specific conditions are meet.

A talent which grants a bonus to a skill's overall use should be +1, while a talent that grants a bonus to a specific skill use should grant a +2 bonus.

Thus granting a larger bonus to a specific skill use with out carving out additional exceptions to the stacking rules.

Paradigm Concepts
Miami, Florida

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2014 1:12 pm 

PCI_StatMonkey wrote:
Deviknyte wrote:
I'm looking at the long list of specific bonus talents John has and I'm wondering how many talents DON'T do specific instances bonuses. I always thought the intent was for those to not stack, since few of them grant a bonus to the same instance. I know some talents should stack, especially when they grant a bonus to the same roll (honey tongue and seductive).

I'm at work and can't look more into it. But what won't stack after this list?

Talent's should not "stack" but simply give a better bonus when specific conditions are meet.

A talent which grants a bonus to a skill's overall use should be +1, while a talent that grants a bonus to a specific skill use should grant a +2 bonus.

Thus granting a larger bonus to a specific skill use with out carving out additional exceptions to the stacking rules.

The Talents I've listed then with specific uses should be changed to +2 then in errata?

John

Kelb'Bakari Masalio, Dark-kin Altherian Corsair, Gentleman Archaeologist, and Wandering Bard
"The highest compliment an Altherian can pay you is to shoot you with his flintlock. It means you were worth the expense."

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2014 1:13 pm 

so Seduction which gives a +2 to persuasion(seduce), is not intended to stack with Honeyed tongue that give a generic +1 to persuasion.

that's what i thought was the situation.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2014 1:14 pm 

Harliquinn wrote:
The Talents I've listed then with specific uses should be changed to +2 then in errata?

John

Maybe..

Waiting till I get a full list of all the Talent/Path errors (also looking for Path's with talent stacking issues as well as requirement issues) to make final calls.

Paradigm Concepts
Miami, Florida

Last edited by PCI_StatMonkey on Tue Feb 18, 2014 1:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2014 1:15 pm 

SamhainIA wrote:
so Seduction which gives a +2 to persuasion(seduce), is not intended to stack with Honeyed tongue that give a generic +1 to persuasion.

Correct Sir..

Honeyed Tongue is generic while Seduction is specific...

Paradigm Concepts
Miami, Florida

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2014 1:20 pm 

PCI_StatMonkey wrote:
SamhainIA wrote:

Correct Sir..

Honeyed Tongue is generic while Seduction is specific...

This makes good sense to me, and if the "Specific" bonuses are all +2 while the generics are +1, then it works nicely. Right now there are a lot of +1 bonuses which are specific.

[EDIT] I know all Talents aren't meant to be equal, but I wonder if such heavy requirements on a Talent such as Seductive, for a +1 bonus on one particular use of a skill isn't a bit underpowered though.

John

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2014 12:32 am 

Another one:

Sarishan Binder (Initiate) grants you Sense Infernal Taint.

But Sarishan Binder has a pre-requisite of:
Anointed Priest of Sarish, which also grants Sense Infernal Taint
or
Sorcerer-Priest of Sarish, which requires Anointed Priest of Sarish (see above)

Anoush val'Mehan, Sarishan Binder (3.9)
Valadriel Maethirion, Kio Duelist (2.5)
Irena val'Virdan, Priestess of Nier (2)

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2014 3:19 am 

Agreed on multiple points.

Specific uses that stack might be worth it, but a great many Talents just aren't worth the investment for an additional +1 that's situational. I suspect many such Talents will be passed over now.

As for Sarishan Binder, the requirements have been strange since day 1, but I was told it was relevant for future character options. There is, in fact, one now that fits the bill. Oathcrafter for the Encali Dwarf priest of Sarish satisfies the Anointed Priest of Sarish. Oathcrafter does not get Sense Infernal Taint, so it's not wasted for them. For everyone else, though, yes, it's a pointless redundancy. I had hoped Sense Infernal Taint might be made a Tiered Talent for this reason.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2014 6:38 am 

They might also treat it like some paths treat "Eclectic Knowledge". If you have that one you get Encyclopedic Memory instead. There might be an 'upgrade' for Sense Infernal Taint that you could take in place of that if you have it (Hunter Infernals maybe?)

Offline Profile  

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 87 posts ]  Moderators: james.zwiers, PCI Eric, PCI_StatMonkey Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 9  Next