Last visit was: It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:02 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 87 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
 Post subject: Re: Talent/Path - Contradictions/Issues
PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2014 8:06 pm 

Templar (b) -> Sword Saint (pa)

Duplicates Strength of Faith (ta)

:edit: there's quite a few background/path combinations that give this talent when I look.

Devoted (pa) gives Armour Training (Deity); most of the ways to qualify (due to needing access to Limited talents) already give Armour Training (Deity).

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2014 10:11 am 

Southernskies wrote:

Devoted (pa) gives Armour Training (Deity); most of the ways to qualify (due to needing access to Limited talents) already give Armour Training (Deity).

I don't believe this is accurate. Devoted requires Rudimentary Prayers, given from Initiate Itinerant (pa), which does not require Armor Training (Diety).

-general creator of mayhem and discord
-Exceptional quality PCI Minion and indentured servant
-Lord of the Hummingbirds

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2014 10:46 am 

Southernskies wrote:

Duplicates Strength of Faith (ta)

While I agree it duplicates, going from Templar to Sword Saint makes little to no sense either thematically or mechanically. Thematically speaking, if you're a Templar you're withing the church structure. Sword Saint's description states: "Some follow the ridged path of the devout by following the tenants and orders of the church. But there are some, truly devout, who discover their own connection with their patron deity."

Mechanically speaking Templar already grants the ability to take Divine Spell Casting as a Talent without going through the extra step of Rudimentary Prayers. Taking Divine Spell Casting is sufficient to take the Devoted Path which I believe is the only Path that requires Rudimentary Prayers as a possible pre-req.

Southernskies wrote:
:edit: there's quite a few background/path combinations that give this talent when I look.

Can you please provide your examples? The only ones I found were the following:

Backgrounds that grant Strength of Faith - Templar

The only 2 Paths I can see that grant Strength of Faith as a benefit are Sword Saint and Templar Itinerant.

Southernskies wrote:

If you look at the Special note under the first tier of Devoted it states: "If you already possess training with an appropriate armor, you gain Weapon Training with deity's chosen weapon instead."

With a sweep of his hat,

Paul

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2014 7:30 pm 

Southernskies wrote:

Not an issue. Sword Saint doesn't require Templar.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2014 7:41 pm 

Quote:
Elementalist (Path): The Master Level (T3 minimum) gives "Elemental Lore" but since it's not retroactive, you only get the benefits of it for T4 and T5 Arcane Spell Casting. So either someone is likely to have this already as an Elemental Caster and it's wasted, or they only get the benefits for 2 tiers.
Wow. I didn't realize you only got 2 spells out of this talent. Also, you don't benefit from this talent for until tier 4. Don't get me wrong, it is still the equivalent of getting two Learn Spell talents for the price of one talent (in your path).

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2014 9:29 pm 
I think I've got one.
As a Templar it's possible to have Weapon Mastery in a combat skill for which you have zero ranks.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2014 9:39 pm 

ZCaslar wrote:
I think I've got one.
As a Templar it's possible to have Weapon Mastery in a combat skill for which you have zero ranks.

That's not unique to Templars. If you choose not to put any ranks into weapons you have mastery in, then you don't learn the tricks associated with them.

John

Kelb'Bakari Masalio, Dark-kin Altherian Corsair, Gentleman Archaeologist, and Wandering Bard
"The highest compliment an Altherian can pay you is to shoot you with his flintlock. It means you were worth the expense."

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2014 10:14 pm 
Harliquinn wrote:
ZCaslar wrote:
I think I've got one.

That's not unique to Templars. If you choose not to put any ranks into weapons you have mastery in, then you don't learn the tricks associated with them.

John

So it doesn't seem untoward to be called a Master in a thing you can't tell which end of to hold?

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2014 11:51 pm 

ZCaslar wrote:
So it doesn't seem untoward to be called a Master in a thing you can't tell which end of to hold?

Quirk of a classless system. I don't think it requires errataing or anything.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun Feb 23, 2014 4:15 pm 

Maybe it has already been addressed but can the Centurion path be made open to those from Almeric?

Edit: Also there is not such thing as the "Vow of Poverty Flaw" for the Order of the Blade

Lothair: "I don't understand, the invitations say Lothair plus one."

Offline Profile  

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 87 posts ]  Moderators: james.zwiers, PCI Eric, PCI_StatMonkey Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next