Last visit was: It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 1:52 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Re: AOE attack roll(s) to hit/damage?
PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2014 7:14 pm 

Play slows down a lot if you roll individually for all targets within an AoE (as opposed to a spell that specifically targets multiple individuals).

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun Feb 23, 2014 10:08 am 

But but, this one AOE attack on page 270 says I have to make an individual roll for each hit.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun Feb 23, 2014 10:14 am 

lbxzero wrote:
But but, this one AOE attack on page 270 says I have to make an individual roll for each hit.

One of the few that I've seen is on page 388 (Farstrike) but you're making weapon attacks. There may be a few others out there that overrule the specific.

If you roll 1 Attack / 1 Damage, you do the 1/2 damage on a miss (other than minions) and if you roll multiple Attacks / multiple Damages, there's no 1/2 damage on a miss.

John

Kelb'Bakari Masalio, Dark-kin Altherian Corsair, Gentleman Archaeologist, and Wandering Bard
"The highest compliment an Altherian can pay you is to shoot you with his flintlock. It means you were worth the expense."

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2014 7:40 am 

I would consider whirlwind an AoE attack. If my main character survives to tier 3, he will be performing a whirlwind with 10' radius from a 10' center, 28 squares in range. So there is a consideration for alternative for the melee attack.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2014 8:44 am 

Harliquinn wrote:
lbxzero wrote:

One of the few that I've seen is on page 388 (Farstrike) but you're making weapon attacks. There may be a few others out there that overrule the specific.

If you roll 1 Attack / 1 Damage, you do the 1/2 damage on a miss (other than minions) and if you roll multiple Attacks / multiple Damages, there's no 1/2 damage on a miss.

John

John is correct here.. that spell is an acceptation to the rule, which is why it's called out in that specific spell

Paradigm Concepts
Miami, Florida

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2014 4:32 pm 

lbxzero wrote:
I would consider whirlwind an AoE attack. If my main character survives to tier 3, he will be performing a whirlwind with 10' radius from a 10' center, 28 squares in range. So there is a consideration for alternative for the melee attack.

Just in case it ever matters, if you play at my table, you'll need to roll each hit and damage separately with Whirlwind. Bring lots of dice :)

John

Kelb'Bakari Masalio, Dark-kin Altherian Corsair, Gentleman Archaeologist, and Wandering Bard
"The highest compliment an Altherian can pay you is to shoot you with his flintlock. It means you were worth the expense."

Offline Profile  

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 16 posts ]  Moderators: james.zwiers, PCI Eric, PCI_StatMonkey Go to page Previous  1, 2