Last visit was: It is currently Mon Oct 21, 2019 8:41 am


All times are UTC - 5 hours




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 11 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
Author Message
 Post subject: to know the gloom of night and enhance senses?
PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2014 8:52 pm 

Joined: Thu Nov 07, 2013 9:37 pm
Posts: 806
Location: Michigan
The talent "To know the gloom of night" says, "You may see perfectly in non-magical darkness out
to a range of 30’. You also see double normal distances under a night sky." and the spell "heighten senses" has an adaptation that says, "Increase the CTN by 2 to instead gain the vision of an eagle, allowing you to see five times as far as normal."

Since these are two different sources of power, do they combine? would someone with the talent using the spell be able to see in darkness out to 150 feet?

On another, unrelated question about the effects of a spell, "path of the drake" you can assume the powers of a drake, but I haven't been able to find a description of a drake anywhere. Is a Drake written up anywhere?

_________________
AKA Kavaris, awakened "Human" from the Hinterlands, psionic transmutation specialist, adventurer, and no one important


Top
Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: to know the gloom of night and enhance senses?
PostPosted: Thu Jan 30, 2014 11:01 am 
User avatar

Joined: Fri Oct 04, 2013 10:23 am
Posts: 1026
Location: Miami Florida
toodeep wrote:
The talent "To know the gloom of night" says, "You may see perfectly in non-magical darkness out to a range of 30’. You also see double normal distances under a night sky." and the spell "heighten senses" has an adaptation that says, "Increase the CTN by 2 to instead gain the vision of an eagle, allowing you to see five times as far as normal."

Since these are two different sources of power, do they combine? would someone with the talent using the spell be able to see in darkness out to 150 feet?


Yes, both effects would stack.. there is a reason why many val'Borda assassins favor the short bow.....

I was wondering how long it would take for someone to pick up on that combo.

toodeep wrote:
On another, unrelated question about the effects of a spell, "path of the drake" you can assume the powers of a drake, but I haven't been able to find a description of a drake anywhere. Is a Drake written up anywhere?


it will out soon... If I recall correctly it will be in the Ssethregore book

_________________
Pedro Barrenechea
Stat Monkey
Minor Deity of Typos

Paradigm Concepts
Miami, Florida


Top
Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: to know the gloom of night and enhance senses?
PostPosted: Thu Jan 30, 2014 7:58 pm 
User avatar

Joined: Fri Sep 27, 2013 3:59 am
Posts: 811
Location: Ontario, Canada
I would be correct then to assume that the same stacking effect would exist for the val'Emman/Virdan ability To Know the Sight of Our Lord?

_________________
Akira Currier
aka Raseri 'Crash' val'Emman - Master of the Incandescent Flame (Martial 3.6)
aka Leif of House Borghild - Skohir Human Myrmidon (Martial 2.6)
aka Rurik of Nol Dappa - Dwarven War Priest (Divine 2.3)


Top
Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: to know the gloom of night and enhance senses?
PostPosted: Sat Feb 01, 2014 8:27 pm 
User avatar

Joined: Fri Oct 04, 2013 10:23 am
Posts: 1026
Location: Miami Florida
acurrier wrote:
I would be correct then to assume that the same stacking effect would exist for the val'Emman/Virdan ability To Know the Sight of Our Lord?


Correct

_________________
Pedro Barrenechea
Stat Monkey
Minor Deity of Typos

Paradigm Concepts
Miami, Florida


Top
Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: to know the gloom of night and enhance senses?
PostPosted: Sat Feb 01, 2014 11:19 pm 

Joined: Sat Oct 05, 2013 12:46 pm
Posts: 1312
One related question: Is there anything that prevents a scene duration spell such as Heightened Senses from being cast more than once? Obviously it adds time, but unlike Binding there's no restriction on how many you can have active. Two castings at CTN of 24 would give you 5x vision with scent tracking and +2 to Perception checks. Well worth 12 seconds. :)

With a sweep of his hat,

Paul


Top
Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: to know the gloom of night and enhance senses?
PostPosted: Sun Feb 02, 2014 12:13 pm 

Joined: Sun Dec 15, 2013 7:37 am
Posts: 121
Location: Leeds, England
Hat wrote:
One related question: Is there anything that prevents a scene duration spell such as Heightened Senses from being cast more than once? Obviously it adds time, but unlike Binding there's no restriction on how many you can have active. Two castings at CTN of 24 would give you 5x vision with scent tracking and +2 to Perception checks. Well worth 12 seconds. :)

With a sweep of his hat,

Paul



This is just my opinion... but I wouldn't allow that at my tables. A single spell source can't stack with itself IMO. The mechanical effect may be different, but the reality is that it is the same spell/source you are trying to stack with itself.

Granted, we (ie, PCI) may rule differently, but the above is just my view on it.

_________________
James Zwiers


Top
Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: to know the gloom of night and enhance senses?
PostPosted: Sun Feb 02, 2014 12:54 pm 

Joined: Sat Oct 05, 2013 12:46 pm
Posts: 1312
James,

I understand your logic. I'm not inclined to follow it as there are other Scene duration spells such as Benediction of the Gods that specifically restrict the ability to have more than one effect active at a time.

Track by scent is different than seeing further and different than a bonus to Perception. I could certainly see a stacking option saying they don't stack, so the bonus to Perception only applies to normal vision or to tracking if applied in the same casting.

With a sweep of his hat,

Paul


Top
Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: to know the gloom of night and enhance senses?
PostPosted: Sun Feb 02, 2014 3:24 pm 

Joined: Sun Dec 15, 2013 7:37 am
Posts: 121
Location: Leeds, England
Paul,

I'd have no issue with the two distinct effects being in place... just wouldn't allow them to both be used at the same time... ie, pick one of the two castings to be active at a time.

Stacking is different IMO, than having two parallel effects, both of which are in effect, but which cannot stack with each other.

Again, this is just how I view it, not any type of ruling.

_________________
James Zwiers


Top
Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: to know the gloom of night and enhance senses?
PostPosted: Sun Feb 02, 2014 3:35 pm 
User avatar

Joined: Fri Oct 04, 2013 10:23 am
Posts: 1026
Location: Miami Florida
james.zwiers wrote:
Hat wrote:
One related question: Is there anything that prevents a scene duration spell such as Heightened Senses from being cast more than once? Obviously it adds time, but unlike Binding there's no restriction on how many you can have active. Two castings at CTN of 24 would give you 5x vision with scent tracking and +2 to Perception checks. Well worth 12 seconds. :)

With a sweep of his hat,

Paul



This is just my opinion... but I wouldn't allow that at my tables. A single spell source can't stack with itself IMO. The mechanical effect may be different, but the reality is that it is the same spell/source you are trying to stack with itself.

Granted, we (ie, PCI) may rule differently, but the above is just my view on it.


Correct a spell can not stack with itself.. If you cast for the same effect all that results is a refresh of the spell duration.

now you can cast to gain a bonus on scent based checks and cast again to gain a bonus to sight based checks.. but if something took place which both your scent and sight would come into play you gain the bonus granted by the spell only once.

_________________
Pedro Barrenechea
Stat Monkey
Minor Deity of Typos

Paradigm Concepts
Miami, Florida


Top
Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: to know the gloom of night and enhance senses?
PostPosted: Sun Feb 02, 2014 3:38 pm 

Joined: Sat Oct 05, 2013 12:46 pm
Posts: 1312
Good enough. I'm still hoping Pedro will clarify. At a minimum it's good to know to ask the GM hlw they'd rule in advance.

With a sweep of his hat,

Paul


Top
Offline Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 11 posts ]  Moderators: james.zwiers, PCI Eric, PCI_StatMonkey Go to page 1, 2  Next

All times are UTC - 5 hours


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group
Theme created StylerBB.net & kodeki