Last visit was: It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:44 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Re: Advanced Spell Questions
PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2014 9:15 am 

(away from book) it would be interruptible. Still a spell. Just like Whirling Blade.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2014 9:48 am 

Deviknyte wrote:
(away from book) it would be interruptible. Still a spell. Just like Whirling Blade.

I can't imagine that the intent of something like FarStrike or Whirling Blade was to be an interruptible spell. You aren't 'winding up arcane energies for 7 ticks' and then letting it go. The 'Speed" of the spell is listed as a "+2" which is under the threshold of 7.

I'd like to get an official ruling on this, as it really limits the usefulness of any of those spells with anything but a dagger.

John

Kelb'Bakari Masalio, Dark-kin Altherian Corsair, Gentleman Archaeologist, and Wandering Bard
"The highest compliment an Altherian can pay you is to shoot you with his flintlock. It means you were worth the expense."

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2014 12:06 pm 

Harliquinn wrote:
Deviknyte wrote:

I can't imagine that the intent of something like FarStrike or Whirling Blade was to be an interruptible spell. You aren't 'winding up arcane energies for 7 ticks' and then letting it go. The 'Speed" of the spell is listed as a "+2" which is under the threshold of 7.

I'd like to get an official ruling on this, as it really limits the usefulness of any of those spells with anything but a dagger.

John

They should not be interruptible, as such they clearly need some kind of clarification.

Paradigm Concepts
Miami, Florida

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2014 12:23 pm 

Thanks Pedro!

John

Kelb'Bakari Masalio, Dark-kin Altherian Corsair, Gentleman Archaeologist, and Wandering Bard
"The highest compliment an Altherian can pay you is to shoot you with his flintlock. It means you were worth the expense."

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2014 1:24 pm 

Just to get another opinion... To me, a range of "Self" and "Self (X radius)" are not the same. The former indicates that the spell only affects the caster. the latter indicates that it has an X radius effect that happens to be centered on the caster. Not the same in my book.

But, if we make the assumption that they are the same and that the smaller applies, I submit that the presumption that it would, "only affect your square" is incorrect. That would indicate it was a radius of 2.5 feet (or some such.) Self affect the caster, not the caster's square. A "square" is an abstract concept that helps us play out a combat on a battle map. It's not a valid unit of measurement. And a dome of shadow that only affects the caster would not be a dome at all. Conceptually, I don't think it would work at all.

So, while this is just one more opinion. I have to say that I don't think they should combine for an advanced spell. (I won't put up a fuss if they do. But there's my opinion, none the less.)

Scott

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2014 2:23 pm 

I could go either way in it. Neither spell is a huge pain to cast by itself and often I so the Inertial Shield binding version anyways. I just liked the thematic aspect of a shadowy shield making you hazy and having protection.

John

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2014 3:18 pm 

Thematically, I like it as well. My suggestion would be to write up an advanced spell that is basically a combination of the two and submit it to PCI. My reasoning for this is that even though we have rules for how to make advanced spells, we also have advanced spells in the rule book that don't necessarily come from the rules for "making" an advanced spell. There's nothing that says that advanced spells can only be made from combining two other spells in a specific way. It's just that players cannot do that on the fly.

So make a spell that does what you want, call it an advanced spell and submit it. Maybe it will make it into publication in a future book. Apparently there are a bunch of new books on the way, right? :)

Scott

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2014 4:14 pm 

DeadZone wrote:
Thematically, I like it as well. My suggestion would be to write up an advanced spell that is basically a combination of the two and submit it to PCI. <snip>Maybe it will make it into publication in a future book. Apparently there are a bunch of new books on the way, right? :)

For me I guess the question is more, if you can get a clarification that does what you want here isn't that preferred over submitting a new spell? There's limited page count and no shortage of ideas to fill them.

With a sweep of his hat,

Paul

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2014 4:38 pm 

Hat wrote:
DeadZone wrote:
Thematically, I like it as well. My suggestion would be to write up an advanced spell that is basically a combination of the two and submit it to PCI. <snip>Maybe it will make it into publication in a future book. Apparently there are a bunch of new books on the way, right? :)

For me I guess the question is more, if you can get a clarification that does what you want here isn't that preferred over submitting a new spell? There's limited page count and no shortage of ideas to fill them.

With a sweep of his hat,

Paul

I'm not particularly concerned if it doesn't work the way I was asking, it would just be a nice convenience as a battle-ready spell.

John

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2014 5:21 pm 

Hi guys.

I a a little confused with creating advanced spell - mainly regarding area.

In the 1st paragraph it states
"To form an Advanced spell, both Base Spells must share the same Source, Duration, and Area (if applicable)."

But further on down it states
"Range: Equal to the shortest Range and number of targets. Area spell Ranges are equal to the smallest Area and the shortest Range (For example, an Advanced spell built with two spells having a 15’ Cone and 20’ Area (10’ radius) would be reduced to 15’ Cone)."

This would suggest that two spells with different areas can be combined?. It seems contradictory

I am probably being a bit dense, but if someone could give me a simple explanation I would be most grateful.

Also is speed /strain rounded down or up. I assume up.

Dean/Taffy

Melbourne - Australia

Marco val'Sheem - Master Sword Sage
Gwe - Berokene Sailor & KNight of the 12 Oaks
Henrique Gatti- Dark-kin Archeologist

Tos'Koreth - Disciple of Jeggal Sag
Vuran - Tultipet Body Guard

The Axeman (LRC)

Offline Profile  

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 24 posts ]  Moderators: james.zwiers, PCI Eric, PCI_StatMonkey Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next