Last visit was: It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:33 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Spell Restrictions in Advanced Spells
PostPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2014 1:37 pm 

OK, a question for the group!

I am wanting to combine Concussive Wave with Mental Scream.

So far, stats for the combined spell [Calling it Concussive Scream] look like this, I think:

Concussive Scream
Tradition: Kinetics
Category: Advanced
CTN: 21
Speed (Strain): 7 (+4)
Range: 0’ (5’ Radius)
Duration: Instant
Defense: Avoidance, Discipline
Effect: [Avoidance] Any Target you successfully affect loses d6 (Primary) Stamina; [Discipline] This spell deals (Primary) damage which bypasses all AR granted by both worn and natural armor.
Restriction: This spell does not affect Spirits, Constructs or Elementals.
Adaptation: Increase the CTN by 3, and Strain by 1; if you also bypass the Target’s Fortitude, you force them back to the edge of the spell’s radius. Creatures who hit a solid immovable object before reaching the spell’s outer edge suffer damage as if they fell the distance they traveled.
Adaptation: Increase the CTN by 3 and Strain by 1 to apply a Die Bump to the damage die. This Adaptation may be applied multiple times.
Adaptation: Increase the CTN by 3 and the Strain by 2; any Target whose Fortitude was surpassed have their Clocks Pushed d4.
Adaptation: Increase the CTN by 6 and Speed by 1 to change the range to 30’ (1Target).
Adaptation: Increase the CTN by 2 to increase the spell’s range by 30’. This Adaptation may be applied multiple times.
Adaptation: Increase the CTN by 4 and Strain by 1 to add a d4 damage die. This Adaptation may be applied multiple times, each time applying a Die Bump to the damage die.

So, my question is the part about the Restriction: This spell does not affect Spirits, Constructs or Elementals. in the Mental Scream Base Spell. How does this work when the Base spells combine to form the Advanced Spell? Is the Effect component related to the Mental Scream Base spell just ignored when dealing with Spirits, Constructs or Elementals, or is the Restriction carried over for all effects of the Advanced Spell, including those of the Concussive Wave Base spell?

I have not seen this questions covered elsewhere nor in the core rulebook. Thanks for any thoughts in advance!

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Re: Spell Restrictions in Advanced Spells
PostPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2014 3:25 pm 

if you haven't read these threads
viewtopic.php?f=10&t=262
viewtopic.php?f=10&t=259

they might be useful to you.

So the text says:
Quote:
Effects: The effects of both Spells are combined; if the new spell attacks two different Defenses, then a single roll is used to determine the success of the spell. If the spell fails to bypass one of the target’s Defenses, only apply the effect that successfully bypassed the other Defense. If the spell fails to bypass either of the Defenses, the spell fails as usual. Regardless of the combined effects, when combining two damaging spells only one of your primary casting Attribute die may explode.

I can see valid arguments being made for:
A: The entire combined spell does not affect Spirits, Constructs or Elementals. That is part of the effect and the text states specifically " The effects of both Spells are combined "
The ramifications of this is that it doesn't harm those specific types, however all the damage ignores AR.

B:The Spell is treated as "parts". because of the text dealing with spells that attack different defenses, one could interpret the advanced spells rules to deal with each part separately, so that half the spell doesn't work on spirits..etc and bypasses AR and the other half does affect spirits and does not bypass AR

HOWEVER, I don't see a valid argument that says you can combine the spells and all of the spell will affect spirits...etc.

I personally think that option A is the correct answer, but you will have to talk with your Chronicler to determine what works for you

Offline Profile  

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 2 posts ]  Moderators: james.zwiers, PCI Eric, PCI_StatMonkey