Last visit was: It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:52 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Re: Alter Appearance Help
PostPosted: Sun Dec 29, 2013 12:29 am 

Hat wrote:
I agree that you could change your eye color. I don't agree that most would consider you an agent of the Silence. That isn't a widely known threat or at a minimum that capability isn't well known. Although this discussion just gave me a great idea. Thanks!

With a sweep of his...

Hat

Well you may have me there. :oops:

Perhaps it would be better to say that if I sit down at a table and one of my PCs see a human using psionics my first thought is going to be the Silence. Maybe now I'll also consider Alter Appearance. Either way its going to be a strong negative reaction since one of my PCs is an Altherian scholar and the other is a Nierite priest and I consider them both "in the know" about such things.

Still I think the mundane "rubes" are usually going to react badly to psionics coming from a "human" even if they just think its a wizard...given the fact that wizards are blamed for Causing the time of terror to this day.

AKA Ambassador Tukufu, man of letters, tomb raider and Master Sword Sage
. . . and Sir Szymon val'Holryn, Order of the Phoenix
Formerly Sir Jaeger val'Holryn. Weilder of the Holy Avenger: Thonanos. Gave his soul to help free King Noen

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun Dec 29, 2013 8:55 am 

val Holryn wrote:
Hat wrote:
I agree that you could change your eye color. I don't agree that most would consider you an agent of the Silence. That isn't a widely known threat or at a minimum that capability isn't well known. Although this discussion just gave me a great idea. Thanks!

With a sweep of his...

Hat

Well you may have me there. :oops:

Perhaps it would be better to say that if I sit down at a table and one of my PCs see a human using psionics my first thought is going to be the Silence. Maybe now I'll also consider Alter Appearance. Either way its going to be a strong negative reaction since one of my PCs is an Altherian scholar and the other is a Nierite priest and I consider them both "in the know" about such things.

Still I think the mundane "rubes" are usually going to react badly to psionics coming from a "human" even if they just think its a wizard...given the fact that wizards are blamed for Causing the time of terror to this day.

Eric,

In terms of the "rubes" I'm not sure I follow the logic. If it's not possible for the "rube" to distinguish between psionics and eldritch, then the fact that it's a human caster is irrelevant and would trigger whatever reaction is appropriate for them not being "safe" such as a priest. If pretty much everyone can tell the difference between eldritch and psionic magic I don't see them having the negative reaction to psionics or too closely associating that with "wizards" per se. Psionics are the gifts of the gods. Divine magic is channeling the gods will. It's those "wizards" you need to be more concerned about.

Psionically active val are going to be fairly common to encounter and Alter Appearance is a a beginner level spell. Given that Ymmandragore has been known to harvest psionicists in the past, why would even people in the know's first reaction be to go for the far more rare option (agent of silence) than the more common one (concealed val)? I agree that a concealed val would raise suspicions as the individual is obviously not what they seem. That deception could certainly put people's guard up or cause a negative reaction.

In terms of PC reactions, I certainly don't have a problem with whatever comes up. PCs are a more unique breed.

I'm happy to continue the discussion if you disagree. I may be putting too understanding of a spin on the average citizen of Onara and as a GM want to try and give the players the right feel for the world.

With a sweep of his...

Hat

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun Dec 29, 2013 12:30 pm 

There is one thing not discussed in this changing of the eye color and that is Bloodline Rank. Depending on the ruling on Bloodrank, one Val can always sense the power of another or can actively turn on the ability to sense another's bloodrank so a val can always know another val.

Lothair: "I don't understand, the invitations say Lothair plus one."

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun Dec 29, 2013 5:04 pm 

MaurLysander wrote:
There is one thing not discussed in this changing of the eye color and that is Bloodline Rank. Depending on the ruling on Bloodrank, one Val can always sense the power of another or can actively turn on the ability to sense another's bloodrank so a val can always know another val.

Given that I don't think this is in the rules anywhere and that we haven't seen an official response to that thread, I don't think this is something that really needs to be addressed (yet anyway).

I do agree that some of the rules imply that there is some way for val to determine bloodrank between them but nothing is actually ever given explicitly on if/how this is accomplished.

Eryk Bauer - Martial Awakened 1.2

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun Dec 29, 2013 8:49 pm 

MaurLysander wrote:

Nope you can not "fake" your bloodline rank

Paradigm Concepts
Miami, Florida

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun Dec 29, 2013 9:29 pm 

Since we have you here, can Val's sense each others Bloodrank, even in a relative form?

Haakon Marcus val'Virdan, Divine Holy Judge of Nier
Ruma val'Vasik, Martial Crusader and Master of the Spear
Jorma Osterman, Arcane Coryani Battlemage

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun Dec 29, 2013 11:20 pm 

Nierite wrote:
Since we have you here, can Val's sense each others Bloodrank, even in a relative form?

Its something Henry and I have battered about more then once, for now... no..

BUT when we work out the rules for a blood duel and the like.. it may very well come up

Paradigm Concepts
Miami, Florida

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun Dec 29, 2013 11:43 pm 

PCI_StatMonkey wrote:
BUT when we work out the rules for a blood duel and the like.. it may very well come up

Is that really sanitary?

John

Kelb'Bakari Masalio, Dark-kin Altherian Corsair, Gentleman Archaeologist, and Wandering Bard
"The highest compliment an Altherian can pay you is to shoot you with his flintlock. It means you were worth the expense."

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Dec 30, 2013 11:45 am 

Oh I do like the sound of that...

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Dec 30, 2013 11:26 pm 

Alessia Val'Mehan wrote:
Oh I do like the sound of that...

It's Henry's idea.. and it's visuals are VERY cool.

Paradigm Concepts
Miami, Florida

Offline Profile  

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 20 posts ]  Moderators: james.zwiers, PCI Eric, PCI_StatMonkey Go to page Previous  1, 2