Last visit was: It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:01 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Alter Appearance Help
PostPosted: Tue Dec 24, 2013 2:56 pm 

Can one use alter appearance to change the color of ones scales(give them a metallic sheen), change the color of ones eyes, and/or change spinal ridges. Basically what are the limitations?

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Re: Alter Appearance Help
PostPosted: Tue Dec 24, 2013 3:03 pm 

johnysilverado wrote:
Can one use alter appearance to change the color of ones scales(give them a metallic sheen), change the color of ones eyes, and/or change spinal ridges. Basically what are the limitations?

I don't think there's any inherent limitations in the spell as to your questions...keep in mind:
1) You cannot impersonate a particular person
2) Whatever changes occur, the bonus/penalty are fixed

If you want to get creative and say the scales are given a metallic sheen as a positive effect, I don't think there's anything suggesting you can't do that. If you say the scales are now Rainbow Colored with Pink Polka-Dots, that's probably not within the spell's effect.

Overall you're either creating a more 'positive' or 'negative' appearance, and things like spinal ridge appearance, scale color, eye color/shape can all work towards either of those effects.

John

Kelb'Bakari Masalio, Dark-kin Altherian Corsair, Gentleman Archaeologist, and Wandering Bard
"The highest compliment an Altherian can pay you is to shoot you with his flintlock. It means you were worth the expense."

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Dec 24, 2013 4:07 pm 

Also specifically, since it only makes "cosmetic changes" you cant hide Val eyes, or appear as another race (unless you could be confused for another race already)

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Dec 24, 2013 4:50 pm 

SamhainIA wrote:
Also specifically, since it only makes "cosmetic changes" you cant hide Val eyes, or appear as another race (unless you could be confused for another race already)

Why couldn't you hide Val eyes? Eye color is a cosmetic change (eg it changes the look but does not change any actual function).

Eryk Bauer - Martial Awakened 1.2

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Dec 24, 2013 4:58 pm 

wilcoxon wrote:
SamhainIA wrote:

Why couldn't you hide Val eyes? Eye color is a cosmetic change (eg it changes the look but does not change any actual function).

I think the point is the spell is not designed to 'disguise' your race. Since the eyes are a tell-tale sign of being Val, you could enhance or detract from them slightly but you'd still be obviously Val.

John

Kelb'Bakari Masalio, Dark-kin Altherian Corsair, Gentleman Archaeologist, and Wandering Bard
"The highest compliment an Altherian can pay you is to shoot you with his flintlock. It means you were worth the expense."

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Dec 25, 2013 3:20 am 

Harliquinn wrote:
wilcoxon wrote:
SamhainIA wrote:

I think the point is the spell is not designed to 'disguise' your race. Since the eyes are a tell-tale sign of being Val, you could enhance or detract from them slightly but you'd still be obviously Val.

John

For most effects humans and Val's/are treated as the same thing. I think a val could use this to disguise his eye color.
Just means people are going to take you for Silence Agents when you manifest your psi powers.

My 2 cents

AKA Ambassador Tukufu, man of letters, tomb raider and Master Sword Sage
. . . and Sir Szymon val'Holryn, Order of the Phoenix
Formerly Sir Jaeger val'Holryn. Weilder of the Holy Avenger: Thonanos. Gave his soul to help free King Noen

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Dec 25, 2013 7:59 am 

I agree that you could change your eye color. I don't agree that most would consider you an agent of the Silence. That isn't a widely known threat or at a minimum that capability isn't well known. Although this discussion just gave me a great idea. Thanks!

With a sweep of his...

Hat

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Dec 25, 2013 10:48 am 

Spell says you can't emulate another race. I would say that you couldn't hide a val's eye color. Maybe shift it so one didn't think you were psionic, but change it away from gray and clear, no.

As per being human vs being val, there is a huge difference in the campaign, how could one say there isn't?

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Dec 25, 2013 11:05 am 

deviknyte wrote:
Spell says you can't emulate another race. I would say that you couldn't hide a val's eye color. Maybe shift it so one didn't think you were psionic, but change it away from gray and clear, no.

Where does it say that? It says you can't impersonate a particular individual but there is no mention of race in the spell description at all. On the other hand, the spell provides a set mechanical advantage regardless of how you describe it (though if a Val can change their eye color then it would mean they could be taken for human based solely on appearance).

Eryk Bauer - Martial Awakened 1.2

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Dec 28, 2013 12:04 am 

changing the color of one's eyes is well within the power of the spell... heck, Awakened heroes are even better at it!

Paradigm Concepts
Miami, Florida

Offline Profile  

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 20 posts ]  Moderators: james.zwiers, PCI Eric, PCI_StatMonkey Go to page 1, 2  Next